Casual Discussion "Türkiye" instead of Turkey

Luwian

Reactions
4 300
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I personally welcomes and would be happy if it can be considered here as well.

Resmi Gazete'de Cumhurbaşkanı Recep Tayyip Erdoğan'ın imzası ile yayımlanan Genelge'ye göre; devletler ve uluslararası kuruluşlarla olan her türlü faaliyet ve yazışmada da "Turkey", "Turkei", "Turquie" ibareleri yerine "Türkiye" ibaresi kullanılacak.

Turkiye's authorities have decided to rebrand their country's international image, here is why.​

Earlier this month, Turkiye's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan issued a communique, tweaking the country's internationally recognised name from "Turkey" to Turkiye.

"The word Turkiye represents and expresses the culture, civilisation, and values of the Turkish nation in the best way," said the communique.

Countries changing or tweaking their names is not as unusual as one might think.

The business of nation-branding can happen for a whole host of reasons, whether to rise above cliches, present a more positive image or even for politics.

In recent years a whole industry has arisen catering to countries and cities seeking to promote themselves internationally and taking charge of how the world sees them and their unique identity.

Most recently, the Netherlands dropped the name "Holland" in a bid to simplify its image to the world. And before that, "Macedonia" changed its name to North Macedonia due to a political dispute with Greece.

In 1935, Iran changed its name from Persia, a name that Westerners mainly used. The word Iran means Persian in Farsi, and at the time, it was felt that the country should call itself with the name used locally, not a name seemingly imposed from the outside.

The change of name reflected a will for the country to take charge of its destiny following the occupation of the country by the British and the Russians.

As many as eleven countries have changed or amended their names over the decades.

So why Turkiye?

Well, in the Turkish language, the country is called Turkiye. The country adopted this name after it declared independence in 1923 from the occupying Western powers.

Over the centuries, Europeans have referred to firstly the Ottoman state and then to Turkiye by many names. But the name that has stuck most is the Latin "Turquia'' and the more ubiquitous "Turkey."

Type "Turkey" into Google, and you will get a muddled set of images, articles, and dictionary definitions that conflate the country with Meleagris – otherwise known as the turkey, a large bird native to North America – which is famous for being served on Christmas menus or Thanksgiving dinners.

Flip through the Cambridge Dictionary and "turkey" is defined as "something that fails badly" or "a stupid or silly person."

That association, while not flattering, has its roots in a mix-up that goes back centuries.

One version of history has that when European colonisers set foot in North America, they ran into wild turkeys, a bird that they mistakenly assumed was similar to the guinea fowl, which was native to eastern Africa and imported to Europe through the Ottoman Empire.

Europeans called the guinea fowl the turkey-cock or turkey-hen - and the rest is history, and a dinner table menu.

The vast majority of people in Turkiye feel that calling the country by its local variation only makes sense and is in keeping with the country's aims of determining how others should identify it.

In a nod to that, the recently published communique was clear that "within the scope of strengthening the 'Turkiye' brand, in all kinds of activities and correspondence, especially in official relations with other states and international institutions and organisations, necessary sensitivity will be shown on the use of the phrase 'Türkiye' instead of phrases such as 'Turkey,' 'Turkei,' 'Turquie' etc."

Yet, the government's announcement is only catching up with what some business associations have been practicing for decades.

In January 2020, the Turkish Exporters' Assembly (TİM) and umbrella organisation of Turkish exports announced that it would use "Made in Turkiye" on all its labels in a bid to standardise branding and the identity of Turkish businesses on the international stage.

Source: TRT World

LegioXLupus

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
never met a Turk who cared about the name Turkey.

Vanity project, strengthen brands my arse. Will be printed on tomato cases.

Aimed at non Turkish whom non give a shit or can not pronounce ü. Plus wtf Turkish brands or products do foriegners know outside Beko and TB2.

Instead of BS vanity submit official name change then in English to Turkiye without the ü. People will automatically use it in time.

Barry

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
never met a Turk who cared about the name Turkey.

ya only people you meet who care about the name are the low iq, smooth-brained bigots who think it's great comedy comparing the name of the country with the name of the animal.

M

Manomed

First placed to be Türkiye was hungaria Because of turkic magyar tribes there

The crown given to Magyar Geza Han by Byzantine empire during 1071 It says ;

"Geōbitzas pistós králēs Tourkías"
"ΓΕΩΒΙΤΖΑϹ ΠΙΣΤΟϹ ΚΡΑΛΗϹ ΤΟΥΡΚΙΑϹ"
"TÜRKİYE'NİN SADAKATLI KRALI GEOVITZA"
1640665789892.png

The Word Turkiye goes so old nice move

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,013
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Mamluk Sultanate was called Dawlat ul Turkiyya.

Basically translates to Turkiye Devleti in Turkish.

Ravenman

Contributor
Reactions
1 1,528
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
'Made in Turkey' is much better sounded and written as 'Made in Türkiye'.

This is so cheap nationalism. Like if your brands getting better with this name change. What a mess.

Luwian

Reactions
4 300
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
In my opinion, it was a long overdue change. I think we will see this name change in international meetings and organizations soon.

the

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
It seems a little bit pointless. People will still call it 'Turkey' because they cannot pronounce 'Turkiye' and because they have got used to calling it by its original name.

Generally, I think the English name is more attractive. You don't tend to have products saying "Made in Deutschland/Espana/Italia". And merging an English sentence with a foreign language makes it seem a bit unnatural.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,013
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
My family was from Türkmeneli till ottomans exiled them to the balkans and brought Kurds.

Not just exiled they actually settled lots of Turks in the Balkans because to balance the region. Region had lots of Christians.

Also due to rebellious Turkic tribes. It was easier to move them to a land where they wont able to rebel easily.

I dont think the Ottomans moved them due to their love of Kurds but due to the circumstances.

The Ottomans did fight rebellious Kurdish tribes too overtime.

Ottomans and the Safavids actually created a long term headache due to their stupid wars. Kurds would not have to come to Turkiye if it wasnt for Shah Ismails stupid secrataranism. Ottomans accepted Kurds because they were Sunni it would be easier to control than Alevis. Ottomans vs the Safavids was not just a Sunni vs Shia war but their wars were all about controlling the Middle east.

At the end of day nobody at the time knew about the consequences. What mattered was their interests. I dont think the Osmanli or the Safaviler cared about the people. All they cared about was their dynasty and empire.

M

Manomed

Not just exiled they actually settled lots of Turks in the Balkans because to balance the region. Region had lots of Christians.

Also due to rebellious Turkic tribes. It was easier to move them to a land where they wont able to rebel easily.

I dont think the Ottomans moved them due to their love of Kurds but due to the circumstances.

The Ottomans did fight rebellious Kurdish tribes too overtime.

Ottomans and the Safavids actually created a long term headache due to their stupid wars. Kurds would not have to come to Turkiye if it wasnt for Shah Ismails stupid secrataranism. Ottomans accepted Kurds because they were Sunni it would be easier to control than Alevis. Ottomans vs the Safavids was not just a Sunni vs Shia war but their wars were all about controlling the Middle east.

At the end of day nobody at the time knew about the consequences. What mattered was their interests. I dont think the Osmanli or the Safaviler cared about the people. All they cared about was their dynasty and empire.
Nah they forced my family to leave everything we had was left to kurds still makes me sad.

Top Bottom