mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina

4 megawatts of energy is transferred to the grid in Karapınar SPP​

Electricity is supplied to the grid with the commissioning of 4 megawatts of installed power at the Karapınar Solar Power Plant (GES), which will be built on an area of 20 million square meters in Konya.​

Konya​

Kalyon Energy, which won the Renewable Energy Resource Areas Solar Energy (YEKA GES-1) tender , opened by the Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources and held on March 20, 2017, with a bid of 6.99 dollars/cent per kilowatt hour , continues its work in Karapınar.
In Karapınar SPP , the panels produced at the Kalyon Solar Technologies Factory, which was opened last month with the participation of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, are being assembled.
In the power plant, which will have a total installed capacity of 1000 megawatts and will be built on a 20 million square meter land, electricity is supplied to the grid with the commissioning of the installed power of 4 megawatts.

When completed, it will meet the electricity needs of 2 million people annually.​

The power plant, which aims to install approximately 104 thousand panels every month, will meet the electricity needs of 2 million people annually when completed.
The panels, which are produced at the Kalyon Solar Technologies Factory and have a high efficiency of 22 percent, will follow the sun from sunrise to sunset. Thus, it will produce 12 percent more electricity.

View attachment 22808

Ata, stating that a dream came true with Karapınar GES, reminded that the installed panels reached a domestic contribution rate of over 75 percent.

Explaining that a 1300 megawatt panel will be installed in the area, Ata said:

"Electrical energy installed power is 1000 megawatts, but we will put the 1300 megawatt panel into operation as we build it step by step. There will be a solar power plant at a distance that the eye can't see. A huge power plant with a length of 13 kilometers and a width of 1.5-2 kilometers. We installed 10 thousand 300 panels of 4 megawatts produced in our factory. and we commissioned this section. Currently, the 4 megawatt panel produces electricity. We supply this electricity from the switchyard to the national grid. Ministry officials also accepted this facility. Depending on the position of the sun, 4 megawatts of electricity is produced in an hour."

Stating that the Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources provided all kinds of support from the beginning of the project, Ata expressed that the YEKA project is one of the most strategic projects in Turkey.

"It will be a man-made facility seen from space"​

Expressing that it is aimed to install all the panels in the power plant in June 2023, Ata said:

"Our factory has a monthly production capacity of 500 megawatts of panels. We will install 1300 megawatts of panels here. We will have completed this place in about 32 months. We said 'Bismillah' and this is the first inverter we commissioned. By Allah's permission, we will fill an area of 20 million square meters with these panels. This is like the Great Wall of China. "It will be a man-made facility seen from space. It is Turkey's first gigantic facility. It takes about an hour to drive around it."

You can actually see it from space!

View attachment 22809
View attachment 22810

Notes:

Entire Output, when finished in Q4 2022, will be 1000Megawatts for 1 Billion USD investment.
In Comparison: Akkuyu Nuclear Plant has 4 Units each putting out 1114 Megawatts. with 5 billion USD per Unit (20B all 4)
why not solar thermal plant for stable 24h supply of electric energy? this kind of techology actually contribute to the energy balance and grid stability.

Attachments

• MzIyNzkwMQ.jpeg
    MzIyNzkwMQ.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 79

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,052
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
why not solar thermal plant for stable 24h supply of electric energy? this kind of techology actually contribute to the energy balance and grid stability.

So far the strategy seems to be Wind power, coal and nuclear for stability and PV only recently really after local production was established. Before that solar wasnt even subsidized unlike wind.

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
That was my thesis topic, concentrated solar power plant "CSP", the one in the picture is Tower type. Briefly I can tell you that per kWh cost is by far the highest comparing to other renewables. Parabolic troughs (PTs) CSP is a bit easier to construct and maintain, there is one experimental in METU Campus in TRNC (10 kW) which built by a German-Turkish firm. They have high initial investment cost and higher maintenance than PV and Wind. Also producing Mirror's is not an easy task and very few companies are building it. Some countries investing this but not in very large scale as it takes money and time to build. However PV is cheap and easy to build. And for Wind, there is a huge industry behind it. It is all about Feasibility, only benefit of CSP is, it is base load and can be run after sunset with thermal storage. Hybrid Gas, PV and Wind is much more versatile and cheaper. What Turkey can do is using pump hydro energy storage for wind and PV, Eastern Turkey is full of Dams and suitable places, just like you produce by releasing water, you can pump it back to store.

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
That was my thesis topic, concentrated solar power plant "CSP", the one in the picture is Tower type. Briefly I can tell you that per kWh cost is by far the highest comparing to other renewables. Parabolic troughs (PTs) CSP is a bit easier to construct and maintain, there is one experimental in METU Campus in TRNC (10 kW) which built by a German-Turkish firm. They have high initial investment cost and higher maintenance than PV and Wind. Also producing Mirror's is not an easy task and very few companies are building it. Some countries investing this but not in very large scale as it takes money and time to build. However PV is cheap and easy to build. And for Wind, there is a huge industry behind it. It is all about Feasibility, only benefit of CSP is, it is base load and can be run after sunset with thermal storage. Hybrid Gas, PV and Wind is much more versatile and cheaper. What Turkey can do is using pump hydro energy storage for wind and PV, Eastern Turkey is full of Dams and suitable places, just like you produce by releasing water, you can pump it back to store.
Thank you for clarification and it makes sense, however i see potential in this kind of plants due advantage of stability and long term energy balance planing.
I ujderstand that initial costs are high as it is still some kind of novelty but can you explain what it makes expensive in explotation beside construction costs?

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,736
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
It looks good, but it's only one place. We need those investments in Konya and not just the GAP area.

btw, doesn't the concrete used in the canal seem a bit rough ? I thought it would have more smooth surface.

Good initiative though, we must applause these kind of investments. Also support the education background etc. necessary to keep this initiative alive and growing.

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
Thank you for clarification and it makes sense, however i see potential in this kind of plants due advantage of stability and long term energy balance planing.
I ujderstand that initial costs are high as it is still some kind of novelty but can you explain what it makes expensive in explotation beside construction costs?
CSPs generally use heat transferring fluids like special oils, so sunlight concentrated onto tubes or a point which heats those oils and those oils pass through and turn water into steam in order to turn the turbines, the excess heat generally stored as molten salt for later use. All these pipe network, corrosion needs high maintenance and infrastructure which costs more than maintaining PV. These plants also requires high tech mirrors that would last long periods of time and withstand hard weather conditions, dust etc. Also it has to follow the sun, it can't be stationary like PV. Basically It is not different than a traditional thermal power plant, whether it is coal or nuclear process is same at some level. Only thing you don't need is fuel, which is sunlight. In compare to a traditional power plant, capacity factor and peak capacity is much lower for the initial investment. Construction also takes longer than a PV farm. Apart all these, this is still somewhat experimental technology, there are many competing versions of it and each are built with subsidies like the ones in Spain. Best applicable to desert countries like Algeria, KSA, Egypt etc where temperatures are high however those countries are not subsidising enough. You can't find these on Germany or Sweden, it is not feasible. Slightly feasible in Spain and Turkey. After all, commercialization and economies of scale are the key factors to lower down the costs, up to now, wind and PV get the market as it is prefered by European Countries. It still has a potential and afuture, R&Ds are continuing, there are some innovative cheaper solutions under development.

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
CSPs generally use heat transferring fluids like special oils, so sunlight concentrated onto tubes or a point which heats those oils and those oils pass through and turn water into steam in order to turn the turbines, the excess heat generally stored as molten salt for later use. All these pipe network, corrosion needs high maintenance and infrastructure which costs more than maintaining PV. These plants also requires high tech mirrors that would last long periods of time and withstand hard weather conditions, dust etc. Also it has to follow the sun, it can't be stationary like PV. Basically It is not different than a traditional thermal power plant, whether it is coal or nuclear process is same at some level. Only thing you don't need is fuel, which is sunlight. In compare to a traditional power plant, capacity factor and peak capacity is much lower for the initial investment. Construction also takes longer than a PV farm. Apart all these, this is still somewhat experimental technology, there are many competing versions of it and each are built with subsidies like the ones in Spain. Best applicable to desert countries like Algeria, KSA, Egypt etc where temperatures are high however those countries are not subsidising enough. You can't find these on Germany or Sweden, it is not feasible. Slightly feasible in Spain and Turkey. After all, commercialization and economies of scale are the key factors to lower down the costs, up to now, wind and PV get the market as it is prefered by European Countries. It still has a potential and afuture, R&Ds are continuing, there are some innovative cheaper solutions under development.
Thx for answer, i think the techlogy of that kindof plants shoul be followed and practised at the univeristy amd institute level, idea is logical and it just need to be matured and perfected to meet all other conditions as you explained.

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
Thx for answer, i think the techlogy of that kindof plants shoul be followed and practised at the univeristy amd institute level, idea is logical and it just need to be matured and perfected to meet all other conditions as you explained.

Recently, CSP market is pretty much dead, like 5 - 6 years. Because of profitability issues. On the other side innovation continues, of course we should not stop researching or following it. There are even theories for Space based solar power, with mirrors directing sunlight to ground receivers directly. One of the major problems were the cost, and if you get more heat it could be more profitable. It seems these guys are going to lead another leap;

1000 C and molten rock.. this is game changing.

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
This idea with rocks heating is amazing, intersting stuff, and again middle east will be leader :)

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Yes, same video under different name that Cypro posted, it is visionary concept and probably already doable but is humanity ready for such a thing due disturbance of status quo which will it cause, i have a feeling that we are not, especially that west will put themself in position were middle east countries will have again thumb on the their energy switch, for the sake of the planet and future i hope i am wrong.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,736
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Yes, same video under different name that Cypro posted, it is visionary concept and probably already doable but is humanity ready for such a thing due disturbance of status quo which will it cause, i have a feeling that we are not, especially that west will put themself in position were middle east countries will have again thumb on the their energy switch, for the sake of the planet and future i hope i am wrong.
@Cypro @Anmdt

Could we not invite those guys to Turkey to establish a test field like in the US. This should be done through Universities so that it's purpose would be to galvanize young minds to think in those lanes. We could similarly also have vocational schools that learns to do maintenance on these mirrors etc.

If they're so effective I imagine KKTC would gain alot from having a testfield, especially if you can reach 1500 celcius. (Of course the test field would have to be established by Turkey or such).

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
Which number is true? 15.9% or 51.8%?
There is a naming conflict between how do you present renewable vs sustainable.. Turkish Authorities as usual try to exaggerate numbers like They do for economy.. So if you count Hydro (dams, rivers etc.) as renewable then it could be 51.8. It is a naming problem, generally Hydro (even nuclear) perceived as sustainable energy sources (none depleting sources) whereas renewable is infinite and replenish constantly (like sun, waves, wind). It might be debatable all over the world but still Turkish Authorities should use the word sustainable not renewable.

In fact most of the renewable energy is sourced by SUN.. Wind blows because of temp differences created by sun, sunlight is from sun, biomass is energy source created by photosynthesis (sun).. Waves created by wind and temp differences (=Sun). Sun is an infinite source of energy so renewable means infinite. Geothermal is not from sun but it is renewable of course. On the other hand, uranium is not infinite also dams could be subject to droughts etc. They are not going anywhere unlike conventional fossil fuel based ones (oil, gas, coal)

Btw.. Norway is wrong in that list, it is also using Hydro as most of that 51%.. Additionally it is not the capacity you built, it should be the share of renewables in annual generation which is another presentation trick used by Turkish Authorities.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,736
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey

I hope the alternative they come up with is sustainable though. Still thumbs up for moving this up the list of must solve problems.

I was thinking that we need to use sea water. Run it through cleaning processes and desalienation or something, so it can be used as fresh water. It might not be a good idea to mix it into existing streams even af turning it into fresh water, but I'm no expert.

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina

i do not know geo locations of those geotermal springs but if it is up to me, i would primarily use it for 12 months agricultural activities and spa and health related facilities for general population.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom