Turkey’s armed drones bolster Erdogan’s hard-power tactics

Balamir

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles.

As a decades-old conflict has reignited in the mountains of Nagorno-Karabakh, Azerbaijani forces battling with Armenia to capture disputed territory have unveiled a new tool in their armoury. Azerbaijan’s military has published slick footage of Turkish-made armed drones blitzing scores of Armenian positions, striking air defence systems, artillery units and tanks. Nagorno-Karabakh is the fifth foreign conflict zone where Turkish drones have been deployed in recent years, with the country’s unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) also taking to the skies in Syria, Libya, northern Iraq and the eastern Mediterranean, where Turkey and Greece are at loggerheads over maritime rights. The expanding Turkish drone industry is the culmination of a two-decade drive to boost defence production with the aim of reducing Turkey’s reliance on western arms purchases and stoking national pride. While some efforts, such as a plan to produce a fighter jet, are seen by many analysts as overambitious, the UAV programme has made Turkey an emerging drone power. “Turkey is not overtaking the US, Israel or China but I’d say that Turkey is emerging as a significant competitor to all three countries,” said Dan Gettinger, an analyst at the Mitchell Institute for Aerospace Studies, a US-based research institute.

The development of Turkish-made armed drones marries perfectly with the more aggressive foreign policy stance adopted by Recep Tayyip Erdogan in recent years, with the Turkish president increasingly willing to deploy hard power in support of his international aims. “Military force has become a really key element of Turkish foreign policy,” said Rob Lee, a former US marine and military researcher based at King’s College London. Armed drones, he said, offered Ankara “a lower threshold way of getting involved in conflicts”. It is not clear whether the TB2 drones that analysts say have been deployed in Nagorno-Karabakh are owned and operated by Azerbaijan’s military or by their Turkish counterparts. Their manufacturer, the Turkish military and Turkey’s defence industries directorate all declined to comment.

Either way, Carey Cavanaugh, a former US ambassador and chief US negotiator for the conflict, said that the use of drones by both parties in the disputed Caucasus region had radically altered the scale of the fighting and the potential death toll, allowing them to hit targets previously restricted by the mountainous terrain and use of trench warfare. Ankara hopes that the high-profile use of its technology will boost the country’s defence exports. Turkey’s foreign defence sales still pale in comparison with those of the US, which earned $56bn from arms exports in 2018, or Russia, which earned $13.7bn the same year. The country sold $3bn worth of equipment to other nations last year — mostly tanks and armoured vehicles, aircraft parts, and guns and ammunition, according to a defence official. But that is up from $248m in 2002. Officials hope to reach $10bn in 2023. Turkey’s efforts to create its own drones are closely linked to the long-running fight with the Kurdistan Workers party (PKK), a Kurdish armed militia that has been battling the Turkish state since 1984. The resurgence of the conflict and problems in procuring and operating UAVs from foreign states spurred a fresh push by Turkey’s defence industries directorate in the early 2000s to make drones its “highest priority”, according to Arda Mevlutoglu, an Ankara-based defence analyst. He added: “We are now just getting the results.” One of the leading manufacturers is state-owned Turkish Aerospace Industries, whose Anka-S armed drone took part in a Turkish campaign against the Russian-backed Syrian regime earlier this year. But a large part of the fleet used by the Turkish military in Syria — as well as the drones deployed in Libya and in Nagorno-Karabakh — is the brainchild of Selcuk Bayraktar, an aerospace engineer who in 2016 married Mr Erdogan’s daughter Sumeyye.

In a rare interview in February, Mr Bayraktar’s brother Haluk pushed back against claims that the decades-old family business, Baykar, had received favourable treatment thanks to its newfound presidential connections, dismissing such accusations as “dirty politics”. Mr Bayraktar, who is the company’s chief executive as well as chairman of Saha Istanbul — an aerospace cluster representing more than 400 producers — attributed the Baykar’s success to his family’s vision and hard work. Baykar sold its first batch of drones — a small surveillance model — to the armed forces in 2007 after winning a design competition. Two years later, it won a tender to produce and sell an armed UAV, the Bayraktar TB2.

Since 2017, an armed variant has been extensively used against the PKK. “Drones have enabled them to drive the PKK out of mountainous pockets where they had established a significant presence for more than 30 years,” said Nigar Goksel, the Turkey director of International Crisis Group, a conflict prevention organisation. Their use has been heavily criticised by human rights campaigners, who say that civilians have been killed in UAV strikes. The industry has also stoked international controversy, a potential problem for producers such as Baykar, which imports 7 per cent of the components used for the TB2. On Monday, the Canadian government announced that it was suspending exports of some imaging equipment to Turkey, a Nato ally, after critics raised questions about the use of the technology in Nagorno-Karabakh. Turkey’s drones are not infallible. In Libya, Baykar’s TB2s have suffered from a “high attrition rate”, according to a UN report published in December. Yet even battlefield setbacks are valuable to Turkish producers. “When we think about military innovation, experience is one of the most important factors,” said Caglar Kurc, an adjunct instructor in the department of international relations at Ankara’s Bilkent University. “Turkey has wracked up significant experience that will reflect on future development.”

bsruzm

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
“Turkey is not overtaking the US, Israel or China but I’d say that Turkey is emerging as a significant competitor to all three countries,” said Dan Gettinger, an analyst at the Mitchell Institute for Aerospace Studies, a US-based research institute.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,787
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
I would prefer we start using domestic equipment for the last 7%. At one point the costumer will want exact configuration.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,090
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
I would prefer we start using domestic equipment for the last 7%. At one point the costumer will want exact configuration.

Depend imo, if lets say something unimportant like the tires are imported and cheaper - who cares. Economies of scale.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,787
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Depend imo, if lets say something unimportant like the tires are imported and cheaper - who cares. Economies of scale.
Yes I understand, but I still disagree. Supply chain etc. and we should invest in our own suppliers not abroad.

As long as the supply-demand isn't overburdening us/domestic supplier, we must acquire all components from domestic market.

I've said similar thing about construction materials in another thread.

Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
From memory, foreign components;

-Engine - 🇦🇹Austrian (Non-Military) | 🇹🇷Turkish Alternative Available
-Electro Optics - 🇺🇸US/Canadian🇨🇦 (Law Enforcement/Military) | 🇹🇷Turkish Alternative Available
-Self-Sealing Fuel Tanks - 🇮🇹 Italian (Non-Military) | 🇹🇷Turkish Alternative Available

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,787
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
From memory, foreign components;

-Engine - 🇦🇹Austrian (Non-Military) | 🇹🇷Turkish Alternative Available
-Electro Optics - 🇺🇸US/Canadian🇨🇦 (Law Enforcement/Military) | 🇹🇷Turkish Alternative Available
-Self-Sealing Fuel Tanks - 🇮🇹 Italian (Non-Military) | 🇹🇷Turkish Alternative Available

Yes, but if you don't use your own, then you're saying our own products are 2nd quality.

At some point I'm just going to start vomitting everytime ppl say we have our own alternatives.

Fact is, if it is available and you choose not to use it, then that says it all.

Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Yes, but if you don't use your own, then you're saying our own products are 2nd quality.

At some point I'm just going to start vomitting everytime ppl say we have our own alternatives.

Fact is, if it is available and you choose not to use it, then that says it all.

Well it's not as simple as we see it. Their products are better quality, they've been doing it for decades in advance, have all the know-how and facilities available to churn them out at rate which they can profit from and sell at a reasonable price - this is something we should not cast a shadow on. And I wouldn't call Turkish products 2nd rate, I'd call them first generation of many more to come :)

What it comes down to in the end is, if they enforce an embargo they would be losing out. And I'm sure, Turkish products will reach to their level in no time.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,787
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Well it's not as simple as we see it. Their products are better quality, they've been doing it for decades in advance, have all the know-how and facilities available to churn them out at rate which they can profit from and sell at a reasonable price - this is something we should not cast a shadow on. And I wouldn't call Turkish products 2nd rate, I'd call them first generation of many more to come :)

What it comes down to in the end is, if they enforce an embargo they would be losing out. And I'm sure, Turkish products will reach to their level in no time.

We need @Sinan to build standard template productionlines :( Robotics to do that bit are most likely still acquired from abroad.

e.g. my friend who is an automation technician changed job, and his new workplace has high level quality machines built in Denmark, but the bigger and more gruff stuff are being built in Czech Republic.

I hope we can reach the level where we're building highest tech quality stuff in Turkey.

S

Sinan

“Turkey is not overtaking the US, Israel or China but I’d say that Turkey is emerging as a significant competitor to all three countries,” said Dan Gettinger, an analyst at the Mitchell Institute for Aerospace Studies, a US-based research institute.
I thought, this is a weird sentence when i first read it.
What he said might be true when you look at the export numbers. However, which of these countries drones are battle proven against standing armies or able to hunt down latest AA systems?

S

Sinan

We need @Sinan to build standard template productionlines :( Robotics to do that bit are most likely still acquired from abroad.

e.g. my friend who is an automation technician changed job, and his new workplace has high level quality machines built in Denmark, but the bigger and more gruff stuff are being built in Czech Republic.

I hope we can reach the level where we're building highest tech quality stuff in Turkey.
It' not that hard to start producing your stuff in serial which brings per costs down. However the hard part is selling them.

bsruzm

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I thought, this is a weird sentence when i first read it.
What he said might be true when you look at the export numbers. However, which of these countries drones are battle proven against standing armies or able to hunt down latest AA systems?
Yeah, I intentionally did not share ''Turkey is not overtaking US, Israel and China'' part on my Twitter account but here it is already posted, so I quoted it fully.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,787
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
It' not that hard to start producing your stuff in serial which brings per costs down. However the hard part is selling them.

But surely it’s better to have a production line serup to mass produce these drones. At least make it available to the market as spare parts.

I imagine Somalia, Libya would want spare drones. Why Tunesia didn’t request TB2 is a wonder. ANKA is way too expensive for them even when we give credit on 75%

S

Sinan

But surely it’s better to have a production line serup to mass produce these drones. At least make it available to the market as spare parts.

I imagine Somalia, Libya would want spare drones. Why Tunesia didn’t request TB2 is a wonder. ANKA is way too expensive for them even when we give credit on 75%
Think of the problem like this. You build a new building for mass production, buy new machinery, hire new personel, and you are capable of producing let's say 1000 items per year to make it feasible. Where as your needs are 100 items per year. To make it feasible you need to sell the 900 items to somewhere.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom