Analysis Turkey's EU membership Goal

the

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey

President Erdoğan: “As a nation, we envision our future with the EU. We have never given up on full membership. "

The EU accepting our country to full membership will be an ontological choice for the future of the union, just as our country's 60-year membership process is a strategic choice for us."

EU Council President Charles Michel and EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen will come to our country at the end of this month. We will hold meetings.

Seems like Erdoğan has switched his position on EU relations, perhaps this is a final push to accession into the EU as a member state. Although, previous attempts to join have been unsuccessful given the 2016 crisis and the fact that any member state, most notably Cyprus, Greece and France, can veto any Turkish proposal.

After all, one of Erdogan's goals for the 2023 vision included EU membership: "First, Turkey aims to achieve all EU membership conditions and become an influential EU member state by 2023. Second, it will continue to strive for regional integration, in the form of security and economic cooperation. Third, it will seek to play an influential role in regional conflict resolution. Fourth, it will vigorously participate in all global arenas. Fifth, it will play a determining role in international organizations and become one of the top 10 largest economies in the world. To achieve them, Turkey must make progress in all directions and in every field, take an interest in every issue related to global stability, and contribute accordingly".

However, any such consideration for Turkish membership will include pre-exisiting demands including the East Med Gas dispute and The Cypriot Problem - both topics underpinned my nationalist ideals.

1610456731700.png

(Effect upon the EU)

A

adenl

This shows how much geopolitical power the US has. A retreating US has left the rest of the world to scramble for geopolitical influence with winners and losers all over the world as a result. Now the US is about to come back, they all reel in and start to 'behave' again.

It is like a father leaving the house for a long time and the children seeing an opportunity to misbehave and then all of a sudden behave when dad is about to come home.

Xenon54

Experienced member
Switzerland Correspondent
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
Turkeys population is just too big, it would completely scramble the power balances within the union, German-French alliance will never give up their hegemony over the smaller countries in EU.
(Leaving aside the fact that Turkey is muslim and the rest is christian.)

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Turkeys population is just too big, it would completely scramble the power balances within the union, German-French alliance will never give up their hegemony over the smaller countries in EU.
(Leaving aside the fact that Turkey is muslim and the rest is christian.)
I agree. Also with UK leaving a major country that was pro Turkey has been lost. It also places more pressure on EU budget as UK was gross contributor. Since Turkey would most likely either be balance or gross gainer it would place additional strain on EU finances. But I guess you can never say 'never'.

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Silly analys, Turkey will have goals im every direction untill get nuclearized, domestic airfighter, proper air carrier, after that it does not matter where Turkey will decide to go.

the

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Silly analys, Turkey will have goals im every direction untill get nuclearized, domestic airfighter, proper air carrier, after that it does not matter where Turkey will decide to go.

Its not just about militarisation, what use would nuclear arms be? North Korea has nukes, but they also have severe sanctions. The Americans took 6 years to produce a nuclear weapon, and that what during peak WW2. Every developed/partially developed country can persue nuclear weapons, but the fact of the matter is that it would cause more harm to the economy and international credibility then provide benefits.

An aircraft carrier will come in its due course, What's the point of building one now? No f35, no Hurjet, no TF-X, an aircraft carrier for aging F16s?

the

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
I agree. Also with UK leaving a major country that was pro Turkey has been lost. It also places more pressure on EU budget as UK was gross contributor. Since Turkey would most likely either be balance or gross gainer it would place additional strain on EU finances. But I guess you can never say 'never'.

Makes you wonder why there's been a shift in policy/stance. Unless Turkey is cooperating for the sake of Biden. If thats the case, it'll be 4 years of neutrality.

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Unless Turkey is cooperating for the sake of Biden. If thats the case, it'll be 4 years of neutrality.
Turkey really is blessed by it's geography. The Anatolian plateau is exposed to currents from Europe, the open steppes of Russia to the north, the Trans-Caucuasus/Iranian plateau which extends to the Indus Valley in Pakistan to the east and the Fertile Crescent to the south. This has placed Anatolia in the vortex of history and cause of much tumult.

But there is flip side to this. Today that same geography gives Turkey enormous geo-political advantages. She can use all these regions ands act like pivot. This is exactly what came to my mind when I walked through the huge but eerily quite new Istanbul Airport last summer at height of the coronavirus lockdown. Istanbul is the up and coming pivotal city.

So given this reality I guess it makes perfect sense to try and keep all these regions with Turkey's strategic matrix. And I think this is exactly what that wily Erdogan is doing.

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Its not just about militarisation, what use would nuclear arms be? North Korea has nukes, but they also have severe sanctions. The Americans took 6 years to produce a nuclear weapon, and that what during peak WW2. Every developed/partially developed country can persue nuclear weapons, but the fact of the matter is that it would cause more harm to the economy and international credibility then provide benefits.

An aircraft carrier will come in its due course, What's the point of building one now? No f35, no Hurjet, no TF-X, an aircraft carrier for aging F16s?
Indeed it is not about militirastion itself, it is about preserving your aims rooted in imperial history and tradition, if you want to dich it you will be fine as client state for more powerfull ones, if you are not that is natural progress towards joining to the world exlusive club and militarisation is one of the logical side effects.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,738
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Turkey really is blessed by it's geography. The Anatolian plateau is exposed to currents from Europe, the open steppes of Russia to the north, the Trans-Caucuasus/Iranian plateau which extends to the Indus Valley in Pakistan to the east and the Fertile Crescent to the south. This has placed Anatolia in the vortex of history and cause of much tumult.

But there is flip side to this. Today that same geography gives Turkey enormous geo-political advantages. She can use all these regions ands act like pivot. This is exactly what came to my mind when I walked through the huge but eerily quite new Istanbul Airport last summer at height of the coronavirus lockdown. Istanbul is the up and coming pivotal city.

So given this reality I guess it makes perfect sense to try and keep all these regions with Turkey's strategic matrix. And I think this is exactly what that wily Erdogan is doing.
RTE knows the EU process is what’s important, as it induces faith for FDI that Turkey is like any other EU country. He’s literally just doing some adlip.

He’s done a lot of cleanup and put his own ppl into positions, so changing back to good old times won’t happen.

still, I’ll hope for better economy and most of all stability for the people.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,054
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
We should finally stop this mess and go for something realistic. FTA and free movement, join the EU standards for rule of law, consumer protection etc without becoming a member.

Barry

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
Will never happen as long as the eu holds a knife to the throat of Turkish Cypriots, via reunification and recognition of the Republic of Cyprus. Greek administration of any Turkish population has always ended in ethnic cleansing whilst everyone else watched approvingly.

Just keep talking until the necessity of the eu disappears or it tears itself apart with it far right problems

T

Turko

We should finally stop this mess and go for something realistic. FTA and free movement, join the EU standards for rule of law, consumer protection etc without becoming a member.
The biggest problem among the EU relationship is free movement of labour. I think they will never accept visa-free regime.
Apart from that we have already had Custom Union which allows free movement of turkish products.

TR_123456

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey

President Erdoğan: “As a nation, we envision our future with the EU. We have never given up on full membership. "

The EU accepting our country to full membership will be an ontological choice for the future of the union, just as our country's 60-year membership process is a strategic choice for us."

EU Council President Charles Michel and EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen will come to our country at the end of this month. We will hold meetings.

Seems like Erdoğan has switched his position on EU relations, perhaps this is a final push to accession into the EU as a member state. Although, previous attempts to join have been unsuccessful given the 2016 crisis and the fact that any member state, most notably Cyprus, Greece and France, can veto any Turkish proposal.

After all, one of Erdogan's goals for the 2023 vision included EU membership: "First, Turkey aims to achieve all EU membership conditions and become an influential EU member state by 2023. Second, it will continue to strive for regional integration, in the form of security and economic cooperation. Third, it will seek to play an influential role in regional conflict resolution. Fourth, it will vigorously participate in all global arenas. Fifth, it will play a determining role in international organizations and become one of the top 10 largest economies in the world. To achieve them, Turkey must make progress in all directions and in every field, take an interest in every issue related to global stability, and contribute accordingly".

However, any such consideration for Turkish membership will include pre-exisiting demands including the East Med Gas dispute and The Cypriot Problem - both topics underpinned my nationalist ideals.

View attachment 11492
(Effect upon the EU)
Only for show from both sides,never going to happen.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,054
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
The biggest problem among the EU relationship is free movement of labour. I think they will never accept visa-free regime.
Apart from that we have already had Custom Union which allows free movement of turkish products.

Not all products, there are still a lot of trade barriers for Turkish goods. Just to give two very basic examples: pasta is taxed and olive oil packaged is taxed to but if you import Turkish olive oil to bottle it and sell it in Europe you dont pay anything for it. And thats just two minor examples.

The issue with visa free regime will be: how many people will exploit it?

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,839
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
We need an update of the custom union.

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,839
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Not all products, there are still a lot of trade barriers for Turkish goods. Just to give two very basic examples: pasta is taxed and olive oil packaged is taxed to but if you import Turkish olive oil to bottle it and sell it in Europe you dont pay anything for it. And thats just two minor examples.

The issue with visa free regime will be: how many people will exploit it?

Not to mention that some goods are restricted. We can’t export some goods in unlimited numbers.

KKF 2.0

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Agriculture is not included into custom union. There are some restrictions among full member countries.

What do you mean with 'There are restrictions among full member states'?

T

Turko

What do you mean with 'There are restrictions among full member states'?
EU countries may forbid agricultural import from member countries in order to protect national farmers. Is it clear now?

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom