Turkey's future in NATO | Debate & Discussion

GoatsMilk

Experienced member
Reactions
10 9,054
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
NATO is a free shield against declarations of war.

When Turkey was the only nation to show balls when facing off against Russia and down their provoking jet, the entire western alliance ran to Russias side. The western media showed Russia as the good guy and Turkey as the bad guy. If Turks honestly think that if war comes tomorrow NATO will come fighting they are as foolish as the armenians in the recent Karabagh war who thought Russia would fight for them.

We have to be in NATO, but do not get decieved by NATO. The owner of NATO is heavily influenced by Israel and Isreal has regional dreams that sees Turkey as the number one enemy.

Glass🚬

Contributor
Reactions
2 3,159
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Puuhhh, someone is learning at getting back at the certain nations. Its a learning curve I believe but a good start nonetheless. More vetoes are definive needed tho

Glass🚬

Contributor
Reactions
2 3,159
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey

edit: translation:

US Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman / CNN Türk interview: “Getting the S-400s is causing trouble in the NATO alliance. We offered an alternative to Ankara, they know exactly what to do. I hope we can find a common way. "

"The S-400 issue is not about technique. Turkey knows what to do and what steps to take. The decision is Turkey."

They want to have the luxury of saying that the S-400 is just a random purchase when the reality is that the various embargoes, support for various terror org inside Turkey, support for various terror org outside of Turkey, removal of american patriot batteries and american f-15 after the SU shot down, continuous hypocritical behaviour on all levels is the reason for the S-400, i would even go so far that we purchased them directly against americans.

I dont see a future for the US-Turkish relations and quite frankly im relieved that the chinese are taking over.

Last edited:

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
117 14,908
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey

They want to have the luxury of saying that the S-400 is just a random purchase when the reality is that the various embargoes, support for various terror org inside Turkey, support for various terror org outside of Turkey, removal of american patriot batteries and american f-15 after the SU shot down, continuous hypocritical behaviour on all levels is the reason for the S-400, i would even go so far that we purchased them directly against americans.

I dont see a future for the US-Turkish relations and quite frankly im relieved that the chinese are taking over.
There is a saying in Turkish ; “Gelen gideni aratır”
Best interpretation in English of it is probably; “Better the Devil you know”.

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,544
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
I read a few interesting point on pro and anti nato views.

I concur with the views that NATO has lost her objective, and secondly NATO has never regarded Turkey as a country worth to defend (during the Cuba crisis the US purposely put Turkey into danger and during the Korean war used our troops to slow down the Chinese to retreat her own troops)

Nonetheless I think Turkey should always act smart: do not quit NATO before you find something better, continue to build on your independence (military independence)

Glass🚬

Contributor
Reactions
2 3,159
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
unfortunately, turkiye is still part of NATO and will get extreme headaches if it continues to stay in NATO, despite the multiple embargoes from these hyprocrites they will expect u to come to their defense because the Russians will make their moves now, there is no withdrawal from that after putins history lessons yesterday lel

it is now extremly important to work on an exit plan because once they have ukraine, they will go for the baltics, then parts of scandinavia (here it is important to block their membership aspirations, these are pkk supporting countries) and after that, I believe they will settle for that.

Kara Khan

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think Turkey should leave NATO after acquiring nuclar weapons, but don't join any alliance either, stay neutral.

Why we should leave NATO? Because the west don't treat us fairly and friendly, they do everything in their power to sabotage our rise. They are friendly with PKK, they are friendly with FETÖ, they are hostile to Turkey. They don't want a independent Turkey who rises and expands, pursues its interests. What they want is a lapdog. No sir, Turkey is too big for that.

Why we should declare that Turkey will stay neutral? If we join any alliance, the west will be even more hostile to Turkey, would treat Turkey like a main threat, as they treat Russia. Besides Turkey is militarily strong enough, no easy meal for anyone, we can do fine without joining any alliance. Turkey should leave NATO and make this statement: "Turkey will be a neutral country, we won't get involved in any side's conflicts, we will mind our own business, pursue only our own interests. Turkey wants good relations with everyone, whether east or west. Turkey won't be threat to any side." That way we would ensure to all sides that Turkey is not a threat to anyone. Acting hostile to west after leaving NATO would further destroy our economy, we shouldn't even consider doing that and truely stay neutral and try to have good relations with all sides, especially the west.

Russian aggression is Europe's problem, not ours. It would be stupid to enter a war for the west, who hates Turkey and treats us like shit. Don't worry about Russian threat to Turkey, after leaving NATO Russia would be even more friendly with Turkey. Besides Turkey is not a country Russia can invade, not without a huge cost that it would be madness to even consider invading Turkey.

Top Bottom