Turkey's Grand Strategy - a Superpower in the Making?

Stuka

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
5 4,538
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey

The Ambition of being a Superpower is too delusional but instead aiming to be a regional Power is more Rational aswell as realistic.

Turkeys ambitions in the past 10 Years resulted in isolation and Economic hardship. The first goal should be more dialogue and less mixing of foreign policy with internal Policy. In order to achieve that there needs to be a Turkey which represents everyone of its Citizens and stops antagonizing those who aren't sharing the same ideology. That of course has to start with the Political leaders.

The Country is suffocating due to Nepotism and Corruption.

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,697
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
Are there anyone on the forum who believes things will be better for us(economically) in the year 2023?
Yup
I personally believe that a new government will eventually help in improving the lira's value by following a more orthodox mechanism. However, i think this will be short lived for around 7 years or so and then turkey will shift back (in terms of economics) to pre 2000s.

That is my 2 cents on economics post erdo

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,697
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
The Ambition of being a Superpower is too delusional but instead aiming to be a regional Power is more Rational aswell as realistic.

Turkeys ambitions in the past 10 Years resulted in isolation and Economic hardship. The first goal should be more dialogue and less mixing of foreign policy with internal Policy. In order to achieve that there needs to be a Turkey which represents everyone of its Citizens and stops antagonizing those who aren't sharing the same ideology. That of course has to start with the Political leaders.

You see there is a proverb in my hometown which says: "a sea likes to expand" which means that the big guys likes to get bigger and not smaller

Turkey went through so much isolation mainly because of its ambitions (as you said) which is pretty normal for any country that wanna grow geoplotically. I said it in a previous forum, but dont expect the big guys to just see you growing bigger and do nothing. In fact, they will do all what they can to bring you down and trust me when i say that there are many ways to do so and the one of the best ways is to ensure that the country is never united and this target can be achieved my several methods one of which being the media. Spreading lies in the media and feeding it to the obnoxious, guellible ppl is a gold standard these days that even coutnries like the uae are excelling in it
I said it before, but i believe that the usa will remain a superpower for a long time not because of its hard power but because it controls the media. Yes ppl are fed up with america, but they also control what the ppl in your country can read. Just recently, youtube blocks officials' accounts but promotes those of the opposition. It is as if they wann feed the masses a certain thought and promote it and trust me it will work. Iam nkt saying the officials of turkey are right but as a foreing, FAIR, platform such actions are just plain wrong. Have you ever wondered why china created Tiktok? It is a test to check whether they can force ppl away from us controlled media like facebook, instagram, and twitter and surprisingly they are getting positive data. With tthe current trend, china will prbably be the next world leader
I mean why have a new competitor in the market when you can just shut them down and have a monopoly by yourself (metaphor); thus, no matter what kind of new internal and foreign policies you implement, as long as it involves growing and spreading your influence you will always be an enemy. The only path you guys can follow for economic prosperity is to follow the rules the big guys set and be like south korea or japan; i-e, a good dog (I mean no sort of insult btw). China's case is special IMO

In fact, if you looked at historical records, all the current superpowers have in the past suffered against their former superpowers such as the ottomans and soviet union. Not all those who challenged their current regime won, but those who won eventually ended up bringing prosperity for their country and name for the next 100 to 200 years at least

What is funny is that the ppl of the weak countries of this era wanna their country to be a superpower, wanna gain influence, pride and honour while maintaining perfect economic stability throughout the process. They make me feel as if the title "Superpower" can be bought from a conevnience store or something.

Iam not saying the path turkey should take is to become a superpower. It all depends on the ppl and what they are ready to sacrifice for, What do they believe is more important for them, how do they want the new generation to live, and the vision the ppl holds

Again, my two cents on the issue. Sorry if it is a bit long

Last edited:

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,822
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Seriously forget the superpower crap.

I just want to see Turkey become strong and defend its interests.

Forget the delusions of being an empire and being a superpower. Nobody wants to be a superpower because its a burden.

Remember the burden of being a superpower led to the collapse of many empires.

Xenon54

Experienced member
Switzerland Correspondent
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey

The title is obviously a sensational bait clicks, the content is also about being a regional power though.

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
If super power means to have main role in turkish nations meaning that you have pivotal role as education center for all turkish speaking people, utilising economy advantages of those countires, main arms supplier, hidden puppet master of local policies, then yes it is plausable that you will become "super power" what ever it means today as even usa is not "super power" as it used to be when that phrase was invented.
The space on other theaters of Turkey interest it is to contested and hard to prevail competition.

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,697
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
Seriously forget the superpower crap.

I just want to see Turkey become strong and defend its interests.

Forget the delusions of being an empire and being a superpower. Nobody wants to be a superpower because its a burden.

Remember the burden of being a superpower led to the collapse of many empires.
If u wanna be strong and defend your interests, then you got to be a superpower because your enemies are superpowers

GoatsMilk

Experienced member
Reactions
9 8,839
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
If you pay attention to all these analysis videos of Turkey they are all working to paint Turkey as an enemy of the USA. Isreal is the number one nation regionally who would like to see the USA and Turkey completely at odds with each other. After that its Russia and Greece.

Deliorman

Contributor
Reactions
4 3,487
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Bulgaria
If u wanna be strong and defend your interests, then you got to be a superpower because your enemies are superpowers

First go and read what makes a country a Superpower.

Turkey can't be a superpower because it just doesn't have what it takes to become one. It doesn't have a huge population, it doesn't have a humongous economy, it doesn't have a huge territory full of resources in a strategically perfect location, it doesn't have a cultural reach (medias, music, language, art, cuisine etc) around the whole world, it doesn't have a military power that can be projected in every corner of the world and successfully fight everyone etc.

Turkey's interests lie in Europe, the Middle East, Central Asia and the Caucasus, potentially Muslim Africa. This where historically Turks have been and where they have a potential to be a Regional Power. Bur Superpower is something completely different.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,822
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
First go and read what makes a country a Superpower.

Turkey can't be a superpower because it just doesn't have what it takes to become one. It doesn't have a huge population, it doesn't have a humongous economy, it doesn't have a huge territory full of resources in a strategically perfect location, it doesn't have a cultural reach (medias, music, language, art, cuisine etc) around the whole world, it doesn't have a military power that can be projected in every corner of the world and successfully fight everyone etc.

Turkey's interests lie in Europe, the Middle East, Central Asia and the Caucasus, potentially Muslim Africa. This where historically Turks have been and where they have a potential to be a Regional Power. Bur Superpower is something completely different.

To be a superpower you have to afford it too.

Being a superpower is not cheap.

Its expensive work that comes at a cost.

Xenon54

Experienced member
Switzerland Correspondent
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
Why do you guys focus on the sensational title rather than the content that raises some interesting point imo.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,601
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
That is the biggest bullshit I have ever heard in a long time. Turkiye doesn't have a chance to become a superpower in this century and the next century is far away. What Turkiye is trying to set up is a block of nations similar to the EU but it won't be successful unless Turkiye becomes an economical powerhouse. Turkiye is on its way to becoming a military power. By the end of this decade, Turkiye will establish itself as a major military power(it is an ongoing process).

As of today Qatar, Azerbaijan, Pakistan, Somalia, and Libya(GNA) are close allies with Turkiye.

Central Asian Turkic states are afraid of Russia until we have enough leverage on Russia or we have enough military might. They won't join anything Russia is against but they came a long way especially if we consider they got their independence from the Soviet Union recently.

A lot of the Arabic countries are controlled by the people who pay tribute to the west and controlled by the west (Saudi Royals, UAE Royals, Sisi in Egypt, Haftar in Libya) even when those are gone we don't know how friendly newcomers will be. Some of the Arabic states are in control of Iran(Iraq, Syria, Houthis). The Arabic world is pretty divided in the Turkish issue. I would say the majority of the Maghreb people have a favorable opinion about Turks(Morocco, Algeria, Tunis, Libya). Egyptian people look like a split but Sisi has strong control. The majority of the Saudi people probably see Turks unfavorably so are the people of the Arabic peninsula. The majority of the Syrians have a favorable opinion but they don't have a say in their country. The majority of Iraq has an unfavorable opinion. The majority of Levantine people have an unfavorable opinion against Turkiye.

Some eastern European and Balkan countries show sympathy. Ukraine, Hungary, Bulgaria, Bosnia, Kosovo, Albania, and Macedonia are the first to name. Ukraine is a strategic partner Crimean Tartars and Karaim Turks are well integrated into the Ukrainian society. Hungary is in the Turkic Council. Bulgaria hosts a big Turkish population. Turkiye has deep historical ties with Bosnia, Kosovo, and Albania. Many Albanians, Bosnians, and Kosovons live in Turkiye. There are many officers in the armed forces with Balkan backgrounds.
African countries like Somalia, Chad, Sudan are candidates for joining a future block of nations. Relations with all African countries are steadily improving. Whoever wins the hearts and minds in Africa will be one step ahead in the future as African GDP will skyrocket to 20+ trillion dollars in the next 30 years. EU is declining for a reason behaving in a post-colonial attitude to those African nations will cause backlash big time.

S

Sinan

People are getting crazy here; Raise in electricity, natural gas, LPG and bread prices.

I assure you nobody here is talking about being a super power. People are grinding their teeth against Erdoğan.

Also there are rumors about Gas prices will get a huge raise.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,822
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
That is the biggest bullshit I have ever heard in a long time. Turkiye doesn't have a chance to become a superpower in this century and the next century is far away. What Turkiye is trying to set up is a block of nations similar to the EU but it won't be successful unless Turkiye becomes an economical powerhouse. Turkiye is on its way to becoming a military power. By the end of this decade, Turkiye will establish itself as a major military power(it is an ongoing process).

As of today Qatar, Azerbaijan, Pakistan, Somalia, and Libya(GNA) are close allies with Turkiye.

Central Asian Turkic states are afraid of Russia until we have enough leverage on Russia or we have enough military might. They won't join anything Russia is against but they came a long way especially if we consider they got their independence from the Soviet Union recently.

A lot of the Arabic countries are controlled by the people who pay tribute to the west and controlled by the west (Saudi Royals, UAE Royals, Sisi in Egypt, Haftar in Libya) even when those are gone we don't know how friendly newcomers will be. Some of the Arabic states are in control of Iran(Iraq, Syria, Houthis). The Arabic world is pretty divided in the Turkish issue. I would say the majority of the Maghreb people have a favorable opinion about Turks(Morocco, Algeria, Tunis, Libya). Egyptian people look like a split but Sisi has strong control. The majority of the Saudi people probably see Turks unfavorably so are the people of the Arabic peninsula. The majority of the Syrians have a favorable opinion but they don't have a say in their country. The majority of Iraq has an unfavorable opinion. The majority of Levantine people have an unfavorable opinion against Turkiye.

Some eastern European and Balkan countries show sympathy. Ukraine, Hungary, Bulgaria, Bosnia, Kosovo, Albania, and Macedonia are the first to name. Ukraine is a strategic partner Crimean Tartars and Karaim Turks are well integrated into the Ukrainian society. Hungary is in the Turkic Council. Bulgaria hosts a big Turkish population. Turkiye has deep historical ties with Bosnia, Kosovo, and Albania. Many Albanians, Bosnians, and Kosovons live in Turkiye. There are many officers in the armed forces with Balkan backgrounds.
African countries like Somalia, Chad, Sudan are candidates for joining a future block of nations. Relations with all African countries are steadily improving. Whoever wins the hearts and minds in Africa will be one step ahead in the future as African GDP will skyrocket to 20+ trillion dollars in the next 30 years. EU is declining for a reason behaving in a post-colonial attitude to those African nations will cause backlash big time.

Oman is not pro or anti Turkiye.

They are neutral compared to Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and UAE.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom