Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,494
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Turkiye is close to signing a defense deal with the UK worth approx. 10 billion. It includes 48 brand-new Typhoons + second-hand typhoons. Turkiye is waiting for the decision of the US on the F-16 matter to finalize the deal. The deal may include some or all of the following: Turkish weapon integration for Typhoons, C130J, Type 23 frigates, a 1200HP powerpack for tanks, TFX engine cooperation, and an EJ-200 overhaul facility.
I wonder if the deal would include participation in Tempest project in any capacity?

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,075
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
what capabilities will the tempest have that the TF-X wouldn't?
Better energy efficiency through a 3 stream variable cycle engine. There is no indication whether this will mean a longer range or better speed or endurance. Bigger electric power generation capacity to support laser weapons. TFX power generation can be increased to match this as the plane is bigger and can accomodate additional components. Argueably better stealth through the newer generation engine with better IR supression. In short, a combination of incremental improvements in subcomponent performance which can possibly be matched by the TFX in further iterations.

No Name

Reactions
5 310
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
Better energy efficiency through a 3 stream variable cycle engine. There is no indication whether this will mean a longer range or better speed or endurance. Bigger electric power generation capacity to support laser weapons. TFX power generation can be increased to match this as the plane is bigger and can accomodate additional components. Argueably better stealth through the newer generation engine with better IR supression. In short, a combination of incremental improvements in subcomponent performance which can possibly be matched by the TFX in further iterations.
So like all supposed 6th-gen fighters, it is just a 5th-gen air crafted that is marketed as 6th-gen. I am starting to believe that the 5th-gen fighter is the last fighter jet the world will ever see, and all improvements are just systems that can be upgraded over time instead of some type of new capability.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,075
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The Tempest has vertical stabilizers which a typical 6th gen fighter is supposed to do away with.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,084
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
So like all supposed 6th-gen fighters, it is just a 5th-gen air crafted that is marketed as 6th-gen.
Did you saw US-Chinese design for their 6th gen fighter?
Or do you know what this coating is?
1675156566918.png

There are technologies being developed which is beyond the current 5th gen definition.

So, this would be a wrong conclusion to say, all 6th gen fighters are just marketed 5th gen fighter With a fancy classification.

By the time Turkey would develop those technologies, instead of just shoving all of them into TFX, I believe Tusas will come up with a new generation platform with a new design. Sure, TFX will get some great upgrades, But definitely it wouldn’t make it on per with NGAD.

Last edited:

No Name

Reactions
5 310
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
Did you saw US-Chinese design for their 6th gen fighter?
Or do you know what this coating is? View attachment 53291
There are technologies being developed which is beyond the current 5th gen definition.

So, this would be a wrong conclusion to say, all 6th gen fighters are just marketed 5th gen fighter With a fancy classification.

By the time Turkey would develop those technologies, instead of just shoving all of them into TFX, I believe Tusas will come up with a new generation platform with a new design. Sure, TFX will get some great upgrades, But definitely it wouldn’t make it on per with NGAD.

Of course, I haven't seen them, they are top-secret projects, but I have seen some concept art, but it is unclear if the actual fighter would resemble the concept art. If the art and statements are anything to go by, it seems that already existing 5th gen technology has matured in those planes, and very little has been added.

The new plane has been designed to fit with a doctrinal shift rather than seeming to take advantage of some new breakthrough technology that will lead fighters needing to be redesigned, thus creating a new class of fighter gen.

The rumours are it is a new type of stealth paint that uses chrome, which really isn't something that should lead to fighters being classified as a new generation.

The Tempest has vertical stabilizers which a typical 6th gen fighter is supposed to do away with.

I believe that the use of vertical stabilizers is because of Two main factors for this:

The first reason is the US and China are building their fighters while prioritising range, not having vertical stabilizers the objective is for the planes to be able to travel long distances. This is because the primary theatre the powers are interested in is located in the south china sea. The US can't rely on its aircraft carrier because of Chinese missiles as such, it is planning to use the island chains against china, thus the need for planes with greater range. the Tempest project wasn't built with the same requirements in mind, thus the use of Vertical Stabilizers. it is also because of this reason that the FCAS fighter is also depicted with vertical stabilizers.

the second reason is doctrinal the US seems to be moving away from dog fights to a network-oriented form of warfare that uses its planes as mobile missile boats/control platforms for its drones. while the British seem to be sticking to a more traditional role for their plane, thus fewer entheses on mobile command and more entheses on traditional fighter jet doctrine.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,075
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Of course, I haven't seen them, they are top-secret projects, but I have seen some concept art, but it is unclear if the actual fighter would resemble the concept art. If the art and statements are anything to go by, it seems that already existing 5th gen technology has matured in those planes, and very little has been added.

The new plane has been designed to fit with a doctrinal shift rather than seeming to take advantage of some new breakthrough technology that will lead fighters needing to be redesigned, thus creating a new class of fighter gen.

The rumours are it is a new type of stealth paint that uses chrome, which really isn't something that should lead to fighters being classified as a new generation.

I believe that the use of vertical stabilizers is because of Two main factors for this:

The first reason is the US and China are building their fighters while prioritising range, not having vertical stabilizers the objective is for the planes to be able to travel long distances. This is because the primary theatre the powers are interested in is located in the south china sea. The US can't rely on its aircraft carrier because of Chinese missiles as such, it is planning to use the island chains against china, thus the need for planes with greater range. the Tempest project wasn't built with the same requirements in mind, thus the use of Vertical Stabilizers. it is also because of this reason that the FCAS fighter is also depicted with vertical stabilizers.

the second reason is doctrinal the US seems to be moving away from dog fights to a network-oriented form of warfare that uses its planes as mobile missile boats/control platforms for its drones. while the British seem to be sticking to a more traditional role for their plane, thus fewer entheses on mobile command and more entheses on traditional fighter jet doctrine.
Vertical stabilizers are primarily bad for radar visibility and also for range to some extent but are good for agility. 6th gen planes have an emphasis on stealth so they would rather ditch the vertical stabilizers. But for tempest they chose to have them so I would say 5.6 gen plane.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
105 14,565
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Sixth Generation fighter jet expected properties have been discussed here in detail before.

1. All 5th generation specifications will be there and will be improved.
2. Involvement of pilot in flight will be minimised; Improving AI for most functions will make these planes capable of being pilotless.
3. Structure materials will contain such elements that it will have self healing properties.
4. Engines used will be variable cycle at the least. But may even incorporate Turbofan to Ramjet to Scramjet propulsion in later stages.
4. Directed energy weapons will be utilised in a more comprehensive manner. This may even include acting against threats from space.
5. Communication systems with other platforms will take a different meaning with these planes, especially when integrating with other fighters, drones and land and sea platforms through state of the art sensors and avionics, delivering a modular, open, scalable, and secure avionics architecture
So to say that there won’t be much difference between 5th and 6th generation fighter jets is a premature and incorrect claim.
But at the same time there will be quite a lot of specific capabilities both generations will have, that will overlap with each other; Albeit with a generation difference.

Tempest
1675174551379.jpeg

Or NGAD
1675174108394.jpeg

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,084
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Sixth Generation fighter jet expected properties have been discussed here in detail before.

2. Involvement of pilot in flight will be minimised; Improving AI for most functions will make these planes capable of being pilotless.
3. Structure materials will contain such elements that it will have self healing properties.
4. Engines used will be variable cycle at the least. But may even incorporate Turbofan to Ramjet to Scramjet propulsion in later stages.
4. Directed energy weapons will be utilised in a more comprehensive manner. This may even include acting against threats from space.
5. Communication systems with other platforms will take a different meaning with these planes, especially when integrating with other fighters, drones and land and sea platforms through state of the art sensors and avionics, delivering a modular, open, scalable, and secure avionics architecture
So to say that there won’t be much difference between 5th and 6th generation fighter jets is a premature and incorrect claim.
But at the same time there will be quite a lot of specific capabilities both generations will have, that will overlap with each other; Albeit with a generation difference.

Tempest
View attachment 53311
Or NGAD
View attachment 53310
And if i may add, if these triangular shaped conceptual designs without vertical stabilizers are realized, ( at least in US or Chinese programs ) it will be a considerable leap in low observability of the platform. As it would be effective against lower frequency emissions, unlike today's 5th gen designs which are only optimized against S and X bands.

Ripley

Contributor
USA Correspondent
Reactions
12 1,512
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
Can't read the file. Bloody maniacs geoblocked their allied country from accessing the website. Talk about #armenianmindset
I did some scanning over the file, and as far as I can tell, there’s really nothing there that hasn’t been been shared and brainstormed here many times.
If you still want to, you can download the file.

Attachments

• 08177CD5B2BB6CB876E76F2EAFC5847A.eastern-med-res.pdf
    359.3 KB · Views: 93

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,494
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I did some scanning over the file, and as far as I can tell, there’s really nothing there that hasn’t been been shared and brainstormed here many times.
If you still want to, you can download the file.
Nah I just wanted to tell you about the sickly mindset our antagonists find themselves in.

No Name

Reactions
5 310
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
Vertical stabilizers are primarily bad for radar visibility and also for range to some extent but are good for agility. 6th gen planes have an emphasis on stealth so they would rather ditch the vertical stabilizers. But for tempest they chose to have them so I would say 5.6 gen plane.

I know that the vertical stabilizers are primarily bad for radar visibility, but most of the 6th gen plans seem to still be depicted as still having them. I should also mention that the US Navies 6th gen F/A-XX design seems to be depicted with Canard, which also affects radar visibility. I believe it is more to do with other factors than the vertical stabilizers affecting radar visibility.

Of cause, the actual plane might be completely different from what is seen in the depictions who knows?

5. Directed energy weapons will be utilised in a more comprehensive manner. This may even include acting against threats from space.
6. Communication systems with other platforms will take a different meaning with these planes, especially when integrating with other fighters, drones and land and sea platforms through state of the art sensors and avionics, delivering a modular, open, scalable, and secure avionics architecture

Tempest
View attachment 53311
Or NGAD
View attachment 53310

I know, but I'm not convinced that the specifications are enough for those planes to be deserving of being classified as a new generation of fighter aircraft. it seems to me that only number 3 is deserving of a new classification as 6th-gen since that will require a new-generation plane to be implemented. The rest are just upgrades of capabilities that already exist in 5th gen planes, and none of those upgrades seems to require a new plane to take advantage of the new capability.
And if i may add, if these triangular shaped conceptual designs without vertical stabilizers are realized, ( at least in US or Chinese programs ) it will be a considerable leap in low observability of the platform. As it would be effective against lower frequency emissions, unlike today's 5th gen designs which are only optimized against S and X bands.
I think the designs were already realized by the United States back in the 90s it was called the Lockheed Martin X-44 MANTA it was based on the 5th generation F-22. In the future, if Turkey or any other country that used the F22 as an inspiration decides it needs a low-observable fighter against S and X bands, it will likely copy the x-44 manta to create an aircraft. All that said, the state in question would need to have an engine that is great a fluidic thrust vectoring to make up for the lack of vertical stabilizers.

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,485
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
After Greek provocations and lock of our aircrafts on official NATO missions (by S300 stationed in Crete and aircrafts in different times) in international airspace, Turkish air force is now carrying out its training flights in the Aegean with BVR and WVR missiles loaded.

On the other hand, There is no missile payload in the trainings carried out in the BlackSea.

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,494
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
After Greek provocations and lock of our aircrafts on official NATO missions (by S300 stationed in Crete and aircrafts in different times) in international airspace, Turkish air force is now carrying out its training flights in the Aegean with BVR and WVR missiles loaded.

On the other hand, There is no missile payload in the trainings carried out in the BlackSea.

Shouldn't they also carry SIGINT op equipment to learn more about those S300s?

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,084
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
S300 is fine. If you have doubts, ask the Ukrainians.
Or i can tell you to ask the Armenians. It depend what you do actually want to do with it.
What i can definitely tell you, it wont survive modern ARMs.

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,494
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Or i can tell you to ask the Armenians. It depend what you do actually want to do with it.
Not gonna. Because our Azerbaijani brothers did some divine work to take down those SAM's. But they fought smarter, not harder.
We need to gather SIGINT on those S300s to get rid of them in an effective manner. That's how you conduct warfare these days.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
105 14,565
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Now US is asking for extra payments from Turkey for the F35 program that they kicked us out from; Because their cost base has increased due to repositioning manufacturing base elsewhere, that was being handled by Turkish firms.
Never mind the 1.4 billion they owe us; They are asking for further payments now.
They previously also had asked for the monies, related to keeping our undelivered planes in storage.
This is one twisted and crooked logic and mentality.
Typical imperialist attitude.
I am the king! I am always right!

How can we expect to build TFX and Hurjet with their engines? It is totally mind boggling.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom