Experienced member
India Correspondent
Reactions
10 822
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
India
Turkish food is among my favorite cuisines. While I haven't been to Turkey personally, I've been to some amazing restaurants here in the US. Creating this thread since I don't see any dedicated to Turkish and other middle eastern cuisines

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,699
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
You will find the real richness of Turkish foods when you move little away from these kebap things. Vegetable gastronomy in particular is extraordinarily rich. Unfortunately, we have a hard time showing the other side because every corner of the world is overrun by doner kebab shops, and they have somehow managed to make it accepted as an alternative within the form of fast food.

Zapper

Experienced member
India Correspondent
Reactions
10 822
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
India
You will find the real richness of Turkish foods when you move little away from these kebap things. Vegetable gastronomy in particular is extraordinarily rich. Unfortunately, we have a hard time showing the other side because every corner of the world is overrun by doner kebab shops, and they have somehow managed to make it accepted as an alternative within the form of fast food.
Totally agree but I think that's the norm for every cuisine out there. For instance, Japanese cuisine is associated with ramen or sushi, Indian cuisine with curry or biryani, Mexican cuisine with tacos etc

Been to several Turkish and Lebanese restaurants back when I was living in NY...can't really make out the difference but I loved visiting them. Unfortunately the middle eastern food scene in my current city is pathetic but I frequently make lamb adana kebabs at home. Planning a trip to Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan early next year as well

Maybe Turkish members on this forum can enlighten what real Turkish food is and contribute to this thread

Last edited:

TR_123456

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Totally agree but I think that's the norm for every cuisine out there. For instance, Japanese cuisine is associated with ramen or sushi, Indian cuisine with curry or biryani, Mexican cuisine with tacos etc

Been to several Turkish and Lebanese restaurants back when I was living in NY...can't really make out the difference but I loved visiting them. Unfortunately my current location has very few folks from the middle east. Planning a trip to Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan early next year as well

Maybe Turkish members on this forum can enlighten what real Turkish food is
The turkish quisine is big,kebabs are just a small part of it.
Like in India every region has its own specialties.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,699
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Been to several Turkish and Lebanese restaurants back when I was living in NY...can't really make out the difference but I loved visiting them. Unfortunately the middle eastern food scene in my current city is pathetic but I frequently make lamb adana kebabs at home. Planning a trip to Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan early next year as well

Maybe Turkish members on this forum can enlighten what real Turkish food is and contribute to this thread
There are about 19,000 food recipe in Turkish cuisine. With over 4,000 varieties of olive oil dishes and meatballs with over 1,500 varieties are the most colorful categories. Ottoman palace cuisine, on the other hand, is on a completely different level, far beyond the typical imperial palace cuisine. The number of locally registered dishes is 2,205. According to generally accepted norms, and there are 823 gastronomy products with geographical indication registrations in TR.

The modern Turkish people are in many ways similar to the gastronomic diversity that makes up modern India. I am talking about geographical diversity rather than similarity of established flavors. For example, if you go to the Black Sea region you will find one gastronomic specialty, if you go to South East Anatolia and Iskenderun you will find another, if you go to the inner western Aegean region you will find another, if you go to the South Aegean coast you will find another. And of course there are synthesis regions. Unfortunately, our Hatay İskenderun province, which suffered great damage in the earthquake, is very valuable in this sense. It is like an intersection of the world of olive oil, the world of sherbet desserts and the world of meat.

So my friend, just as it will be difficult for you to answer when I ask you such a question, it will be very difficult for me to answer such a question. I am not an expert in gastronomy or a gourmet. However, one of my goals in this short life of mine is not to leave here without learning the beautiful flavors of the world. lol. So, if you tell me the seafood, legumes, spices vegetables, poultry and dairy products, oil seeds etc. that you enjoy tasting in accordance with the geographical characteristics of our region, I can tell you about a few special dishes when I have time.

Rodeo

Contributor
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
30 4,736
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Refika the Chef has been doing an amazing work in terms of introducing the Turkish cuisine to the world. She has a Youtube channel in English. You should visit it to see the recipes, the history and the amazing visuals. Some of her videos;

Zapper

Experienced member
India Correspondent
Reactions
10 822
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
India
Refika the Chef has been doing an amazing work in terms of introducing the Turkish cuisine to the world. She has a Youtube channel in English. You should visit it to see the recipes, the history and the amazing visuals. Some of her videos;

She's awesome. Discovered her like an year ago. I actually use her Adana recipe whenever I make em which is pretty simple and minimalistic except that I use only lamb/goat instead of a lamb-beef mix

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,003
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Turkish sweets are also heavy on sugar.

I honestly recommend having them for special occasions.

But I recommend trying Kazan Dibi which is caramalised milk pudding. It hits the spot when done right!

A lot of the milk, yogurt stuff are all from Central Asia. Not to mention I dont drink but the Turks were also fond of Kimiz which is fermented milk drink.

I dont know how common it is in Turkiye to drink kimiz but it does have its drinkers. Eventhough I dont drink myself.

AWP

Contributor
Reactions
4 1,403
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
Palestine
During my stay in Turkey I used to spend 30-40 tl eating it . For me this is the greatest turkish food of all time . ( btw linking it to sexual power is unproven and full of shit )

6C014170-EAEC-4652-94DE-DBC7CB3C1E1E.jpeg

YeşilVatan

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,242
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
During my stay in Turkey I used to spend 30-40 tl eating it . For me this is the greatest turkish food of all time . ( btw linking it to sexual power is unproven and full of shit )

View attachment 56163
Best drunk food ever.

Fun fact, sale of these is monopolized by people from Mardin. That's because of a traditional holdover; seafood is haram for hanefi sect (which is most of Turkey), but People from Mardin are Shafii. Never met a seller who was not from Mardin.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,003
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Best drunk food ever.

Fun fact, sale of these is monopolized by people from Mardin. That's because of a traditional holdover; seafood is haram for hanefi sect (which is most of Turkey), but People from Mardin are Shafii. Never met a seller who was not from Mardin.

Im Hanafi so many Hanafis get triggered when I eat prawns and crabs.

Well Islam says its Halal all the Jurisprudence agree its Halal.

That takes predcendance over Hanafi.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom