Experienced member
Professional
France Moderator
Reactions
Nation of residence
France
Nation of origin
France
yeah the Afghans are a letdown. All those $$$$ investment and the first fire shot by the Talibs they all run like chicken. Same with the Iraqi army in 2014. But from the look of it Ukraine aren't lacking in resolve.

Those who served in Afghanistan (myself included) knew very well this would exactly happen once NATO leaves Afghanistan...

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,131
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
yeah the Afghans are a letdown. All those $$$$ investment and the first fire shot by the Talibs they all run like chicken. Same with the Iraqi army in 2014. But from the look of it Ukraine aren't lacking in resolve.

A lot of the iraqi soldiers who fled in Mosul got captured by Isis. Man i will never forget the footage. Isis terrorists one by one executed them then dumped their bodies in the river.

It was brutal and ruthless also sadistic.

Barzani

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Iraq
Nation of origin
Iraq
Two significant issues that will face the Ukrainian Forces moving forward.

1). Lack of armored vehicles for the purpose of offensives. Ukraine has plenty of "manpower" to execute defensive strategies, however, what they need to be able to do is make meaningful counter offensives. They're a nimble ground force as it stands, and they're using their geographical knowledge to their advantage, to ambush and cut off the much more cumbersome Russian offensive. With the help of Western / European infantry weapons, they're doing significant damage to Putin's invading force. That said, they lack the ability to replace their tanks, troop carriers and fighting vehicles for the sake of counter offensives. The attrition rate is high and they don't have near the ability that Russia does to simply ship more in from elsewhere. In order to sustain counter attacks and force Russia out of the country, they need more resources. Unfortunately, NATO is not likely to supply those "offensive" weapons, for the same reasons they wouldn't supply Poland's Mig-29's, because they're afraid of Putin viewing such an action as escalation. The truth is that the West would rather bleed Russia dry economically, through a prolonged war, than actually provide Ukraine with the tools it needs to drive the Russian Army out of their country. Despite capturing a significant amount of Russian armor, Ukraine needs more, provided by friendly forces.

Poland has about 700, T-72's, Slovakia and other surrounding NATO countries possess some as well. These countries also have thousands of fighting vehicles that the Ukrainians already know how to use. If NATO really wanted a Ukraine victory, they'd backfill the Eastern Europeans with their own Leopards, Abrams, Challengers and Leclercs, along with the manning for them, and they'd help facilitate the transfer of Eastern European armor to Ukraine. That would truly turn the tide of this war from a conventional standpoint.

2). Ukraine has plenty of manpower. The problem with it is that most the "warm bodies" have little military experience, cannot be easily integrated with army regulars without detracting from their combat effectiveness and cannot easily be armed. We think that we've sent a lot of armament to the Ukrainians, but the truth is that we've sent very little of what would actually be needed to properly arm the territorial defense force in large numbers. We need to see shipments of 50,000 thousand rifles and machines guns, not 5000. We need to see shipments of 50 million rounds of ammunition, not 5 million. We're arming Ukrainians for an insurgency, we ought to be arming them for a war.

The weapons that the West and NATO are providing the territorial defense forces are ideal to help with small ambushes and create annoying defenses in small communities, but we're not preparing adequate soldiers, properly equipped to form new battalions for the purpose of offensive operations and counter attacks that can overwhelm and slaughter Russian Forces. The United States spent $300 million dollars per day in Afghanistan, a war it fought for 20 years. If the all of NATO and the EU is not willing to spend $300 million dollars per day, combined, to arm and bolster Ukraine, we're not putting forth a great effort. We have the money. It's about $10 million dollars per day, from 30 supporting countries. That's peanuts in the grand scheme of things. Especially with European security on the line. We pledge a few hundred millions dollars "here and there" maybe a billion dollars once in a while. That's not even close to enough. The Ukrainians need and deserve our best foot forward. I'd like to see $10 billion dollars in support announced in the next week. No questions asked. Get them what they need. I also want to see thousands of their men taken to Poland, Latvia, Finland, Romania, etc, etc and quickly trained by NATO military forces that are already present there. Every couple weeks they should be shipping 1000 new Ukrainian soldiers, fully kitted and equipped, back to Ukraine, to help in the war effort.

Tanks. Infantry fighting vehicles.
Ballistic missiles. Anti-ship missiles. Anti-air weapons, both portable and long range defensive. Drones. Night vision. Ammunition. Send as much of it as they need, while they have the Russians stalemated. Otherwise, a month from now, Russia will have worn them down considerably.

While we're at it, the West should be funding a well paid, 20,000-30,000 strong battle group of paid volunteers, with prior military experience. Ukraine has enough to worry about to have to worry about funding and organizing such a fighting force. NATO needs to take that burden off their hands and fund it, equip it and deploy it, for them.

I've been saying this in all my posts on this war, Russia is already winning, these costs are not viewed by Russia in the same way as the West who thinks bleeding Russia will force Putin out. It won't. Nor will China abandon him, they haven't abandoned North Korea after all.

Also, just lol:

Erdogan is a pretty funny guy. He is using rubles in trade with Russia and is panicking over the fact that the economy he's been blowing up over the last two decades with mismanagement and corruption is forcing him to side with Russia. I suppose the Bayraktars got some good PR for that private business.

Russia’s assault threatens to have a major impact on the domestic market, said Erdal Eren, the head of the Turkish Contractors Association (TMB), stressing that the intervention triggered major risks for industries that do business with the two countries.

“We have over 100 sites under construction in Russia. Our works there total over $20 billion (TL 275 billion),” Eren told private broadcaster Bloomberg HT on Friday.

For comparison, I doubt Ukrainian reconstruction would even reach $1 billion. As Libya showed, very few construction contracts might actually be awarded to Turkey.

Also this on 11th March:

Since the currency dispute with shipping companies is causing problems in the delivery of goods passing through customs, Turkey should actively work to develop a mechanism to facilitate trade with Russia in rubles, Istanbul Chamber of Commerce (ITO) head Şekib Avdagiç said Friday.

and previously, Turkish construction companies having to hold funds in rubles in Russia:

The Russian authorities have carried out a search at the St. Petersburg headquarters of Renaissance Construction, a large-scale Turkish contractor, seizing computers and other accounting documents.

Russian news agency Interfax said the raid was linked to corruption claims, a report that was denied by Renaissance executives in a statement to Hürriyet on Sept. 18.

“The St. Petersburg office of the company was reached as part of general research in Russia and officials said there were no charges against Renaissance,” said the statement by the company.

However, Russian Federal Security Agency (FSB) released a brief statement backing the information provided by Interfax, saying an operation was held against the Renaissance in St. Petersburg as it broke the Russian currency rules.

FSB says the company broke a foreign currency law, transferring 100 billion rubles, roughly $1.7 billion, abroad.

All of Erdogan's oligarch friends in construction considering this right now.

Last edited:

Ecderha

Experienced member
Reactions
4 7,821
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
The 97 years old Grandma,
Who have survived of Holodomor and the WW2, gives her last money to the Ukrainian Army.

She says "My grandchildren and great grandchildren are there."

You can Kill the Body but you can NOT Kill the Spirit.

There is lot more she also said. This

She is trying to Donate to volunteers who came to help her with food for the needs Ukrainian army.

Mehmed Ali

Contributor
Reactions
1 905
Nation of residence
England(UK)
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
I've been saying this in all my posts on this war, Russia is already winning, these costs are not viewed by Russia in the same way as the West who thinks bleeding Russia will force Putin out. It won't. Nor will China abandon him, they haven't abandoned North Korea after all.

Also, just lol:

Erdogan is a pretty funny guy. He is using rubles in trade with Russia and is panicking over the fact that the economy he's been blowing up over the last two decades with mismanagement and corruption is forcing him to side with Russia. I suppose the Bayraktars got some good PR for that private business.

For comparison, I doubt Ukrainian reconstruction would even reach $1 billion. As Libya showed, very few construction contracts might actually be awarded to Turkey.

Also this on 11th March:

and previously, Turkish construction companies having to hold funds in rubles in Russia:

All of Erdogan's oligarch friends in construction considering this right now.
Nothing what nigiri guy said you have been saying , don't invent. Russia is not winning nor it can win. Even if they take control of the majority of Ukraine ( doubtfully) , they will face situations worse they they faced in Afghanistan. As of embargo not effecting them much is childish thong to say. Involving Erdogan in this all your outlook, just stems from your demented Mullah outlook as you try to gain a sympathy from ant Erdogan people on this board, nothing more. As I know very well that you hate Turkey the most. I often answer to your nonsense, do you know way? Because your nom d'gurre her is Barzani ( Kurdish) the picture is Erdogan and Iraqi, I believe president but I know that you are Shrugi an Iranian stooge. If I don't dislike anything more then pretence, hence I hate Russians . I particularly dislike your kind because you made lying a virtue. Jut to add you are weather Shrugi or Tabaiya or Feyli, only other Iraq guy here knows what's that. Just to let you know

Last edited:

Barzani

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Iraq
Nation of origin
Iraq
Nothing what nigiri guy said you have been saying , don't invent. Russia is not winning nor it can win. Even if they take control of the majority of Ukraine ( doubtfully) , they will face situations worse they they faced in Afghanistan. As of embargo not effecting them much is childish thong to say. Involving Erdogan in this all your outlook, just stems from your demented Mullah outlook as you try to gain a sympathy from ant Erdogan people on this board, nothing more. As I know very well that you hate Turkey the most. I often answer to your nonsense, do you know way? Because your nom d'gurre her is Barzani ( Kurdish) the picture is Erdogan and Iraqi, I believe president but I know that you are Shrugi an Iranian stooge. If I don't dislike anything more then pretence, hence I hate Russians . I particularly dislike your kind because you made lying a virtue. Jut to add you are weather Shrugi or Tabaiya or Feyli, only other Iraq guy here knows what's that. Just to let you know

Nigiri has agreed with things I've posted before, you being too thick to comprehend topics more complex then banal propaganda and the speakers on television is your problem, not mine, my memri friend

Mehmed Ali

Contributor
Reactions
1 905
Nation of residence
England(UK)
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nigiri has agreed with things I've posted before, you being too thick to comprehend topics more complex then banal propaganda and the speakers on television is your problem, not mine, my memri friend
Constantly replying to you shows that I have at least good comprehension of the banal propaganda. My goal here is more or less about that . I don't need to take it any further as there are people who do that anyway as I explained it in a way before. Don't assume from where I get my opinions, this is the military forum , I believe and probably with Bosanski Vojnik( Bosnian soldier) I am the only one who was in the position shoot to kill . Besides you say a lot more then " your agreeing with someone " and that's very cheap propaganda which consists mostly of insinuations and clichés.

Ecderha

Experienced member
Reactions
4 7,821
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey

tracer

Reactions
1 302
Nation of residence