United Arab Emirates Halts Discussion on $23B Purchase of Planes, Drones from U.S.

CEZAYIRLI

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Algeria

United Arab Emirates Halts Discussion on $23B Purchase of Planes, Drones from U.S.​

BY LORA KORPAR ON 12/14/21 AT 3:09 PM EST

01:38
Trump Hosts Israel, UAE And Bahrain For White House Abraham Accords Signing Ceremony
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on FlipboardShare via EmailComments
NEWSUNITED STATESUNITED ARAB EMIRATESWEAPONSF-35

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) announced Tuesday it would freeze talks with the United States on a multi-billion-dollar weapons purchase deal.
The deal called for the U.S. to sell $23 billion worth of F-35 planes, armed drones and air-to-air and air-to-ground munitions to the UAE. The Emirati embassy in Washington said it will still carry on with a scheduled meeting at the Pentagon on other matters, but would like to "suspend discussions" on the weapons sale.
Officials from the UAE said their reason for suspending the talks was the U.S. inserting restrictions on where and how the planes could be used a condition which UAE officials believed violated UAE sovereignty.

However, Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said these requirements "are universal, non-negotiable, and not specific to the UAE."
NEWSWEEK NEWSLETTER SIGN-UP >

An anonymous individual close to the matter who spoke with the Associated Press said the U.S. believes the suspension is a negotiating tactic, as the letter from the UAE letting the U.S. know of the suspension was written by a lower-ranking official.

The U.S. State Department and the Emirati embassy have both remained open to the idea that talks could resume.

"The U.S. remains the UAE's preferred provider for advanced defense requirements and discussions for the F-35 may be re-opened in the future," the embassy said in a statement.
F-35, plane, Vermont Air National Guard

On Tuesday, the United Arab Emirates suspended talks on a $23 billion deal to purchase American-made F-35 planes, armed drones and other equipment, in a rare dispute between Washington and a key U.S. ally in the Persian Gulf. Above, an F-35 fighter jet arrives at the Vermont Air National Guard base in South Burlington, Vermont, Sept. 19, 2019.WILSON RING, FILE/AP PHOTO
NEWSWEEK SUBSCRIPTION OFFERS >
The proposed sale of 50 F-35s to the UAE came at the end of former President Donald Trump's administration, emerging from a deal that saw the Emiratis formally recognize Israel. President Joe Biden's administration put the deal on hold after he took office, in part due to criticism of the UAE and Saudi Arabia over their yearslong war in Yemen, which has sparked one of the world's worst humanitarian crises and continues today.
Also included in the deal are 18 advanced drone systems and a package of air-to-air and air-to-ground munitions.
The State Department said in a statement that the administration "remains committed to the proposed sales ... even as we continue consultations to ensure that we have a clear, mutual understanding of Emirati obligations and actions before, during, and after delivery."
"The U.S. partnership with the UAE is more strategic and more complex than any one weapon sale," Kirby said.
The Wall Street Journal first disclosed the suspension of negotiations.

The UAE has long worked with the U.S. on counterterrorism and allowed the entry of people fleeing Afghanistan during the chaotic U.S. withdrawal earlier this year. But tensions between Washington and Abu Dhabi have risen over the UAE's growing cooperation with China.
Last week, a top Emirati diplomat acknowledged the UAE stopped construction on a Chinese facility at an Abu Dhabi port that America considered a military base. The Journal first revealed the presence of the alleged facility.
"We took these American concerns into consideration and we stopped the work on the facilities," the diplomat, Anwar Gargash, told a meeting of the the Arab Gulf States Institute in Washington. "But our position remains the same, that these facilities were not really military facilities."

He described the discussions between the UAE and the U.S. "as quite frank."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

HaZZan

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Algeria
Nation of origin
Western Sahara
Those who are against this deal are the Israelis themselves. the Israeli defense minister was against it too.
To this day, I don't see what the UAE gained from normalizing relations with Israel.
Israel actually won politically, economically and in intelligence. The UAE lost in all fields for cyber the UAE could go for China, China is way advanced in AI.

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,725
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
Those who are against this deal are the Israelis themselves. the Israeli defense minister was against it too.
To this day, I don't see what the UAE gained from normalizing relations with Israel.
Israel actually won politically, economically and in intelligence. The UAE lost in all fields for cyber the UAE could go for China, China is way advanced in AI.
Mate, I still clearly remember what my history teacher said when I was in the 2nd year of highschool, he said: "never play with the Jews, You may play for 5 bucks; but I assure you that at the end of the game, you may win and end up with your desired 5 bucks. However, your clothes, car, and home will be sold to them. So, are you really the winner by then?

The same is with Morrocco and Bahrain, they all normalises their relations with Israel for something. However, Israel gets what it wants from them and the other nations are left on hold

CEZAYIRLI

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Algeria
Mate, I still clearly remember what my history teacher said when I was in the 2nd year of highschool, he said: "never play with the Jews, You may play for 5 bucks; but I assure you that at the end of the game, you may win and end up with your desired 5 bucks. However, your clothes, car, and home will be sold to them. So, are you really the winner by then?

The same is with Morrocco and Bahrain, they all normalises their relations with Israel for something. However, Israel gets what it wants from them and the other nations are left on hold
It is not politically correct to criticize Jews, but Israel as a nation is killing the Palestinian people and stealing their houses every day.

UAE, Bahrein, Sudan and Morocco must stop the so-called Abrahamic Accords and hold Israel responsible for its crimes,

Last edited:

CEZAYIRLI

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Algeria
UAE, Bahrein and Morocco have no legitimacy to normalize with Israel on behalf of the Palestinian people.

What importance do these 3 countries have to now speak on behalf of the whole Arab world.

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,725
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
It is not politically correct to criticize Jews, but Israel as a nation is killing the Palestinian people and stealing their house every day.

UAE, Bahrein, Sudan and Morocco must stop the so-called Abrahamic Accords and hold Israel responsible for its crimes,
We were studying about Israel's history at the time
So..... maybe he meant the israeli state or maybe not..... idk tbh
Although watching the current events, I can only say that he was right

CEZAYIRLI

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Algeria
We were studying about Israel's history at the time
So..... maybe he meant the israeli state or maybe not..... idk tbh
Although watching the current events, I can only say that he was right
More outrageous are the Arab regimes who are giving a blank check to Israel by granting them full recognition without at least requiring that Israel respects the basic human rights of the Palestinian people.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,305
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
It is not politically correct to criticize Jews, but Israel as a nation is killing the Palestinian people and stealing their houses every day.

Using this logic your Algeria should stop the recognition of Syria. As the leaders of Syria are busy bombing syrian houses every day. Lel

CEZAYIRLI

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Algeria
Using this logic your Algeria should stop the recognition of Syria. As the leaders of Syria are busy bombing syrian houses every day. Lel
Syria is the motherland and the backbone of the Arab World.

Israel is an artificial entity that no one in the Arab World population accepts.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,305
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Syria is the motherland and the backbone of the Arab World.

Israel is an artificial entity that no one in the Arab World population accepts.
There's no such thing as Syria anymore, now its just Assad little fiefdom which he have to share with Turkey, Iran, USA and even ISIS.

CEZAYIRLI

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Algeria
There's no such thing as Syria anymore, now its just Assad little fiefdom which he have to share with Turkey, Iran, USA and even ISIS.
You are an Israel apologist.
Syria will continue existing many centuries after Israel will cease to exist.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,305
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
You are an Israel apologist.
Syria will continue existing many centuries after Israel will cease to exist.
exist in a smaller form, which its economy tattered and its citizens flee abroad.

I call that Assad's little fiefdom, yeah I OK with that.

CEZAYIRLI

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Algeria
exist in a smaller form, which its economy tattered and its citizens flee abroad.

I call that Assad's little fiefdom, yeah I OK with that.
I can tell you're here creating anti-Muslim propaganda to the benefit of Israel.

CEZAYIRLI

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Algeria
Do you know that I am a Muslim myself ? I'm just pointing up your hypocrisy
You are a Muslim, and so are MBS and MBZ.
Your hate for Palestinians and admiration for Zionism is clear.

Last edited:

Super falcon

Reactions
Nation of residence
Pakistan
Nation of origin
Pakistan
UAE plays vsery well since hh sheikh MOHAMMAD BIN ZAYED himself pilot he knows which jet to buy

These f 35 would be useless and comes woth stingvattached on them UAE should buy russian or european jets

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom