2017 top hit movie in China “Youth”controversial story about cultural revolution, Sino Vietnam war and social injustice

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
2017 top hit movie in China,"Youth" controversial story about, cultural revolution, Sino Vietnam war and social injustice

The movie is about a bunch of young people in PLA dance troupe, their parents were sent far away in labor camps and many of them hadn't seen their parents since childhood, Xiaoping's (female lead in the movie) father died in the camp while waiting for the release . Liu feng (male lead) was wronged , locked up and tortured and was sent to the Sino Vietnam war front to fight just for confessing love to one of the dancers. Xiaoping was also punished and sent to the war front to work as a nurse for refusing to perform a dance.

In the war liu Feng lost an arm and Xiaoping lost her sanity seeing too much blood and deaths around the clock.

They both retired from PLA then the time enters 1990's when China suddenly turned into a money worshipping society, people with parents working in high positions and having good connections quickly get filthy rich and retired war heros like Liufeng ended up in the lowest class in the society working as a rickshaw rider struggling to meet basic needs for a living. Liufeng was routinely bullied by the officials on the street and the whole society forgot about the war heros who gave up everything for the country.

Jackdaws

Experienced member
Reactions
1 1,582
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
Is it funded by the Communist regime or a firm owned by the Communist regime?

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
Is it funded by the Communist regime or a firm owned by the Communist regime?
Don't know about India, In China the government rarely funds movies, producers find money for the movies through different channels, this movie was produced by a famous Chinese director Fengxiaogang.

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
Terrible wide spread social injustice, mass unemployment and abject poverty in 1990's, China became a much better place after entering 21st century. We should always learn from our past mistakes.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,379
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
I've watch this movie, sad for the young soldier are left without support after losing an arms in the Sino Viet war. Nobody cares about veterans in China and maybe everywhere else in the world.

I rate this my 2nd best Chinese movie after 800.

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
I rate this my 2nd best Chinese movie after 800
800 is also caused some controversy in China, some believe the movie overly praises KMT 's troops in the role of the anti Japanese war and downplays the communists contribution. of course this is nonsense. KMT troops indeed played the undisputed leading role in that war.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,379
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
800 is also caused some controversy in China, some believe the movie overly praises KMT 's troops in the role of the anti Japanese war and downplays the communists contribution. of course this is nonsense. KMT troops indeed played the undisputed leading role in that war.
They almost cancelled it.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom