60 29,416
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Over 1,300 killed in powerful quake in Morocco​

At least 1,305 people were killed and 1,832 others injured following a powerful earthquake that struck Morocco, the country's Interior Ministry said Saturday.

The injuries include 1,220 critical cases.

Fatalities from the magnitude 7.0 quake occurred in various regions, including Al Haouz and Marrakesh provinces, as well as the cities of Ouarzazate, Azilal, Chichaoua and Taroudant, the ministry said in a statement.

The earthquake was the strongest tremor to hit the North African country in the last century, Morocco’s National Geophysical Institute said.

The United States Geological Survey (USGS) said the epicenter of the earthquake, which hit just after 11 p.m. local time (2200GMT), was 75 kilometers (46.6 miles) southeast of Marrakech, at a depth of 18.5 km.

Videos on social media captured the immediate aftermath and showed residents spilling out onto the streets.

The situation was said to be particularly dire in the Marrakech region, where numerous buildings were said to have collapsed and residents trapped under debris.

Local media said some buildings, including the famous red walls that surround the old city, a UNESCO World Heritage, were damaged.

The Royal Armed Forces urged citizens to exercise caution and directed them toward safe areas to shield them from aftershocks.

Tremors were also felt in neighboring Algeria and Mauritania.

Moroccan authorities have launched an operation to deliver aid to areas struck by the earthquake, according to the state news agency MAP.

"Seven trucks loaded with blankets, camp beds and lighting equipment are ready in Al Arjat village in the northern city of Sale to be delivered to residents of affected areas,” MAP said.

The Turkish Red Crescent said it is following the developments closely, and was in coordination with international aid groups and others in the region.

In 2004, more than 600 people were killed and many others injured when a magnitude 6.3 quake hit northeastern Morocco.

Turkish rescue team ready to assist quake-hit Morocco​

265-strong team ready to move in case Morocco appeals for assistance, say authorities​

Turkish institutions and organizations have prepared a relief and rescue team comprising 265 individuals to be dispatched to Morocco to help earthquake victims.

According to a statement by the Turkish Disaster and Emergency Management Presidency (AFAD) Saturday, a team of 265 individuals from AFAD, the Red Crescent, the National Medical Rescue affiliated with the Ministry of Health, and non-governmental organizations, is ready to move to the region in case Morocco appeals for assistance.

The AFAD said it is awaiting a call from the Moroccan authorities to deliver 1,000 tents to the region.

“We wish safety for the Moroccan people who were affected by the earthquake, and we are closely following developments," the AFAD said.

At least 1,037 people were killed and 1,204 others injured following a powerful earthquake that struck Morocco late Friday.

Fatalities from the magnitude 7.0 quake occurred in various regions, including Al Haouz and Marrakesh provinces, as well as the cities of Ouarzazate, Azilal, Chichaoua, and Taroudant, the country’s Interior Ministry said in a statement.

Arab countries show solidarity with Morocco after deadly earthquake​

WhatsApp-Image-2023-09-09-at-13.08.33.jpeg

Algeria offers condolences to Morocco, opens airspace following deadly quake​

“Algeria extends its deepest condolences and sincere sympathy to the families of the victims of the brotherly Moroccan people, with sincere wishes for a speedy recovery for the injured,” the Algerian Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

“Algeria is following with deep sorrow and sadness the repercussions of the violent earthquake that struck several regions in the Kingdom of Morocco,” it added.

3 French regions to send over $1M to earthquake-hit Morocco​

Qatar’s emir orders sending rescue crew, urgent aid to quake-hit Morocco​

Iran says ready to provide relief to quake-hit Morocco​

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,752
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I wish mercy to my brothers and sisters who lost their lives, I wish condolences to those who lost their relatives. If someone can tag Moroccan friends in our forum, I would like to get information from them about aid organisations and channels. We share the pain of the brotherly Moroccan nation.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
113 14,760
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Having experienced the devastation myself of how earthquake can affect the lives and livelihoods of people in Hatay, I would like to pass my sincerest condolences to our Moroccan brothers and through them to all Moroccan people for the lost souls and my commiserations to the people of Morocco.

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,401
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
First of all, i want to thank all the brothers for the prayers, and warm thoughts! May god give paradise for the deceased, and give patience to the Moroccan nation. All security elements have been working tirelessly since the beginning of the earthquake until now. Rescue teams together with the gendarmerie, auxiliary forces, and the army have been dispatched heavily throughout the areas hit by the earthquake.

Unfortunately, the most damaged, and the most hit places are not the big cities such as Marrakech, Agadir, or Ourazate but rather the province of Al Haouz, as well as other parts of the Atlas mountains.

One of the most vulnerable people of Morocco is suffering the most since the epicenter of the earthquake took place there. Rocks from the mountains have fallen to the point that they block all roads connecting the villages to the other critical infrastructure. The Moroccan air force, as well as gendarmie, have dispatched helicopters to bring necessities to the region, as well as transport wounded. I heard that the damages that have occurred are much worse than what we see on social media.

Map:

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,401
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
First of all, i want to thank all the brothers for the prayers, and warm thoughts! May god give paradise for the deceased, and give patience to the Moroccan nation. All security elements have been working tirelessly since the beginning of the earthquake until now. Rescue teams together with the gendarmerie, auxiliary forces, and the army have been dispatched heavily throughout the areas hit by the earthquake.

Unfortunately, the most damaged, and the most hit places are not the big cities such as Marrakech, Agadir, or Ourazate but rather the province of Al Haouz, as well as other parts of the Atlas mountains.

One of the most vulnerable people of Morocco is suffering the most since the epicenter of the earthquake took place there. Rocks from the mountains have fallen to the point that they block all roads connecting the villages to the other critical infrastructure. The Moroccan air force, as well as gendarmie, have dispatched helicopters to bring necessities to the region, as well as transport wounded. I heard that the damages that have occurred are much worse than what we see on social media.

Map:

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom