Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,594
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Aselsan's share is 3.3 million euros per tank. The unit cost of the upgrade might be around 5-6 million euros. It is a reasonable price if we consider advanced systems like APS.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,594
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
They are publishing test footage that I don't like. There are many hints for the trained eyes. The first thing that caught my eye is the extremely fast-burning and specially designed rocket motor. We can see many shock diamonds inside the exhaust plume. Akkor munition accelerates really fast this way Akkor can neutralize a fast effector far away (100m+) from the main platform. We are talking about milliseconds here as the footage is in slow motion. Interception happens in 7 seconds in slow motion video we can deduce real burning time, the burning rate, etc from the video.

AzeriTank

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,760
Nation of residence
Azerbaijan
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
They are publishing test footage that I don't like. There are many hints for the trained eyes. The first thing that caught my eye is the extremely fast-burning and specially designed rocket motor. We can see many shock diamonds inside the exhaust plume. Akkor munition accelerates really fast this way Akkor can neutralize a fast effector far away (100m+) from the main platform. We are talking about milliseconds here as the footage is in slow motion. Interception happens in 7 seconds in slow motion video we can deduce real burning time, the burning rate, etc from the video.
they probably know that its not that easy to make it

Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey

Well, it's a good thing the clip they shared has been manipulated isn't it...

zio

Reactions
4 436
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
two different

Attachments

• 667F2817-AD0E-4C7B-AAE5-7C052DFA0E48.jpeg
    667F2817-AD0E-4C7B-AAE5-7C052DFA0E48.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 219

Brave Janissary

Reactions
5 625
Mechanized warfare is targeting is supporting heavy gun support to infantry on battlefield and destroy enemies heavy gun capability.
I think a country like turkey who have a huge experience on unmanned and autonamous warfare can be come with new perspective on this field.

Making 60 tonnes 1500 hp , 120mm tank is great but his time is outdate. When we are complete to production of altay in this standart, altay would be Leopard 2a4 when compared Franco-German Mgcs, abrams next gen, improved armata etc.

Field of our advantages : Electronics, software, and maybe armour.
Field of our disadvantage : Tank Gun, More Penetrartor Apfsds Ammo, and of course powerpack.

Penetration and attacking power is different story.

But defence and mobility is more related than others.

Just because we cant add a enough armour for protecting 4 crew of tanks just because its overweight and our powerpack capabilities is limited.

So

We need a kick off crews from the tank. And add him a enough firepower to penetrate enemies best tank.

Fully Autonomous unmanned main battle tanks is still dream for medium period.

Just because detecting and opening fire stage is acceptable with help of sensors and software but Autonomous drive is still problematic due earths changeable surface and environment.

So

One (only driver) or two manned tandem (driver + gunner) tank+ unmanned turret is more logical from my side for short period.

One crew gives us a more less surface for armouring and thats will decrease to weight of tank and tanks need a lower powered powerpack than old ones.

Nowadays commander and gunner can commanding a tank far away from tank in a 8x8x8 commanding vehicle.

Ads-z.png

I mean one manned and tracked, 120-130mm low profile unmanned autoloader version of this tank

and

A 8x8x8 Tank off-far front Tank Command Vehicles with Comm Antennas

1684678988576.jpeg

4x gunner and 2x commander.

maxresdefault.jpg

YeşilVatan

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,191
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I'm throwing this out there:

Some kind of advanced AI and sensor fusion would allow tanks to operate with just one man crew. This way you may have a human making all the important decisions, while easily protect the crew and the tank with a lot more armor.

This is futuristic of course, but why not in the, say, 2040s? If the commander can use the vehicle like a it was a videogame, then it's not even a competition. I would argue it would be much, much better than the completely unmanned tanks. Especially if you are in a setting where response time is measured by miliseconds like an urban warfare environments. UGV signal or control delays or shouting for the driver to back up seems to be our only options, a commander who can control the vehicle like he is playing warthunder would wreck the opposition who has to coordinate as a crew.

It's only a thought though, it just pooped into my mind.

Baljak

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
8 856
Nation of residence
South Korea
Nation of origin
South Korea
Hyundai WIA (then Hyundai Precision Industry) gained experience in gun-making from Rheinmetall during the upgrade-phase of K1A1 in the 90s. A license-built Rh 120 mm shorter L44 smoothbore gun called CN03 (KM256 military designation).

After that they were able to independently develop the bigger caliber CN08 120 mm L55 smoothbore gun. Chrome-plated and with an even higher muzzle-velocity than Rh 120 mm L55.

Main construction difference to MKE 120 mm L55 gun is the missing breech opening motor and automatic feeding magazine system for autoloader mechanism. It has the same muzzle velocity like the Korean cannon. Hyundai WIA transferred technology to MKE during the Altay development project and helped modifying according to Turkish specs. Afaik, the Altay ToT/license-package includes unrestricted export for Türkiye (good for you guys).

Besides all technicalities: Rheinmetall's new Rh 120 mm L55A1 gun for Leopard 2 A7 is designed for higher pressure and provides higher performance. A real beast!

Most important factors for MBT and SPH guns are barrel production procedures, quality of steel, chrome-plating etc. In that regard Germans are simply top-notch. Excellence and experience mastered through cannon manufacturing since 1889!
Hmm.. I know that the source of the content you mention is roughly from wikipedia and namuwiki, but I would like to let you know a few things that you are mistaken about.

Rheinmetall did not participate in the development of the K1 MBT, which was called Korea's first domestic MBT. Rheinmetall's contribution to the K1 project was to develop the K1 ARV based on the K1's chassis.

One of the most widely misrepresented facts is that the M256 is often referred to as the licensed version of the Rheinmetall RH120, which is precisely a derivative of the U.S. Watervliet Arsenal (WVA)'s purchase of technology and licenses from Rheinmetall, changing the structure of barrels and mounts. In addition, like the MKE 120 mm gun, the M256 is monopolized by Watervliet Arsenal in the United States for design, licensing, and export rights. This means that Rheinmetall has no right to exercise its license and export rights to the M256.

M256.png

M256

RH120.jpg

RH120

CN03 and KM256 are quite different in the structure of the mount except for the gun barrel. The biggest difference between CN03 and KM256 is the weight reduction of the mount. The name KM256 also stands for "Korean Made 256", not "Korean M256".

According to the Defense Acquisition Program Administration's Korean Defense Specifications (KDS), Korean defense companies name KM (Korean Made) for licensed products from abroad or defense parts made based on technology introduced from abroad. However, from 2009, the name KM began to be designated for defense products developed with its own technology.

As you mentioned, it is also true that Hyundai Rotem, which participated as a technical support provider in the Altay development project, has transferred licenses for electronic equipment, main guns, armor packages, neutron shielding liners, and track systems to Otokar.

Still, some Korean military forums claim that the Turks stole the K2's technology, which is only a one-sided claim by Korean nationalists, and in 2007, Hyundai Rotem and Otokar transferred licenses, including export rights to major components, through legitimate contracts. Their claim of stealing K2's technology is an insult to the Turkish engineers of Otokar who were involved in the development of Altay at the time.

Last edited:

Chocopie

Contributor
South Korea Correspondent
Reactions
31 1,914
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
Hmm.. I know that the source of the content you mention is roughly from wikipedia and namuwiki, but I would like to let you know a few things that you are mistaken about.

Rheinmetall did not participate in the development of the K1 MBT, which was called Korea's first domestic MBT. Rheinmetall's contribution to the K1 project was to develop the K1 ARV based on the K1's chassis.

One of the most widely misrepresented facts is that the M256 is often referred to as the licensed version of the Rheinmetall RH120, which is precisely a derivative of the U.S. Watervliet Arsenal (WVA)'s purchase of technology and licenses from Rheinmetall, changing the structure of barrels and mounts. In addition, like the MKE 120 mm gun, the M256 is monopolized by Watervliet Arsenal in the United States for design, licensing, and export rights. This means that Rheinmetall has no right to exercise its license and export rights to the M256.

View attachment 57864
M256

View attachment 57865
RH120

CN03 and KM256 are quite different in the structure of the mount except for the gun barrel. The biggest difference between CN03 and KM256 is the weight reduction of the mount. The name KM256 also stands for "Korean Made 256", not "Korean M256".

According to the Defense Acquisition Program Administration's Korean Defense Specifications (KDS), Korean defense companies name KM (Korean Made) for licensed products from abroad or defense parts made based on technology introduced from abroad. However, from 2009, the name KM began to be designated for defense products developed with its own technology.

As you mentioned, it is also true that Hyundai Rotem, which participated as a technical support provider in the Altay development project, has transferred licenses for electronic equipment, main guns, armor packages, neutron shielding liners, and track systems to Otokar.

Still, some Korean military forums claim that the Turks stole the K2's technology, which is only a one-sided claim by Korean nationalists, and in 2007, Hyundai Rotem and Otokar transferred licenses, including export rights to major components, through legitimate contracts. Their claim of stealing K2's technology is an insult to the Turkish engineers of Otokar who were involved in the development of Altay at the time.
Thanks for the info! I only knew so far, that the US M256 isn‘t a 1:1 copy of the Rh 120 mm/L44. Thought the KM256 licensed gun included a Rheinmetall involvement.

sozturk

Reactions
Nation of residence
England(UK)
Nation of origin
Turkey
Okay, you can see that the front is less armored - the sides and the top - have similar strengths and classes, right? I only ask because it seems like the whole Leo 1T project was wasted money.
The integration of a more powerful engine would therefore be nonsensical, in your opinion?
Aren't we able to raise more M60s and Leo 1Ts - similar to Israel - to Sabra level? Or do we lack the technology here? Hardly - apart from the engine, are control systems, towers, cannons, and armor within the scope of the possible?
Hello, yes, it seems like we have some gaps in technology as I observed. However, there are brilliant talents in our country who can overcome these challenges. Unfortunately, it seems that these companies have started to undervalue these individuals, which causes our technology to lag behind a bit. But I am sure that work is still ongoing in this field. I believe that all of these things you mentioned will be developed.

AzeriTank

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,760
Nation of residence
Azerbaijan
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan

View attachment 57864
M256

View attachment 57865
RH120

to be honest i see it a lot in Korean comments, seems like they made the whole population to believe it, you guys can check it too), They even say KF21 was coppied by Indonesians and was given to Turkey, so thats why Turkey is able to develop jets, but this is a different topic,

however not a single person ask if it was a copy, why it took Turkey this long?
Korea was nice, it helped to design Altay years ago, also offered the local made products to be used in Altay probably, but as Turkey already spent more than a decade and half now(15+ years), obviously its enough to localize those things.
Can you guys check if Korea use the pallet from Germany or you make it yourself. as Turkey mentioned that the pallet was German and it was nationalized, it was interesting that who else made it? Also the 120mm shell compartment that doesnt kill the crew members, it was also German.

Chocopie

Contributor
South Korea Correspondent
Reactions
31 1,914
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
to be honest i see it a lot in Korean comments, seems like they made the whole population to believe it, you guys can check it too), They even say KF21 was coppied by Indonesians and was given to Turkey, so thats why Turkey is able to develop jets, but this is a different topic,

however not a single person ask if it was a copy, why it took Turkey this long?
Korea was nice, it helped to design Altay years ago, also offered the local made products to be used in Altay probably, but as Turkey already spent more than a decade and half now(15+ years), obviously its enough to localize those things.
Can you guys check if Korea use the pallet from Germany or you make it yourself. as Turkey mentioned that the pallet was German and it was nationalized, it was interesting that who else made it? Also the 120mm shell compartment that doesnt kill the crew members, it was also German.
Afaik over 90% of K2 are domestic parts. Altay and K2 doesn't use 1:1 common parts because of many differences: turret design with ammo compartment (K2 has bustle-type autoloader), chassis with different driver's position and number of wheels etc. Now after a decade the differences of the Otokar prototype with the BMC Altay version are even greater. What exactly do you mean with "pallet", the ISU with Dynamic Track Tension System or the tank wheels themselves?

Don't take uninformed and ultra-nationalistic troll commenters as representative for the Korean population. Most Koreans don't care much about defense topics besides news about homegrown weapon systems or successful export sales.

There's an army of ultra-nationalistic Turkish keyboard warriors posting ridiculous things as well,
I honestly don't take them serious either and think of Korean and Turkish trolls what they are: total idiots :rolleyes: they could build an own club of chest-beating gorillas.

Last edited:

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,383
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco

Tornadoss

Contributor
Reactions
4 2,516
Nation of residence
Czechia
Nation of origin
Turkey
The M60A3 Main Battle Tank, modernized with the Modular Armored Tower (MZK) developed by Roketsan, has been delivered to the Turkish Armed Forces!

I don't see any APS such as akkor-lite/Kama, or the pulat on it. Does anyone remember the cost of the modernization of m603 tanks?
No era-nera package on the hull?

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom