TR Altay Main Battle Tank & Related Programs

Fairon

Reactions
6 868
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Great news. Finally those tin cans will be more able fighting machines that can withstand today’s modern battlefield conditions. My only criticism is:
Why 105mm gun and not 120mm? Especially when we have a winning formula in front of us with the ~170 M60TM with PULAT and new Volkan fire control system.
View attachment 53068

I guess we want to use this turret on a different vehicles as well. Roketsan might combined two projects into one. (M60 turret and 105mm turret)

If this is the case it is interesting. Aselsan was expected to produce 105mm turret. Finally we might be seeing cooperation between Aselsan and Roketsan.

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,485
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
T72 upgrade

20230126_165748.jpg
20230126_165752.jpg

@catfishtheblues

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
105 14,566
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
I guess we want to use this turret on a different vehicles as well. Roketsan might combined two projects into one. (M60 turret and 105mm turret)

If this is the case it is interesting. Aselsan was expected to produce 105mm turret. Finally we might be seeing cooperation between Aselsan and Roketsan.
Can it not be the fact that they are using the same gun that was already there?

Fairon

Reactions
6 868
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Can it not be the fact that they are using the same gun that was already there?

Definitely. I just wanted the point out that they may want to use this oppurtunity to develop an universal 105mm turet as well.(I am thinking this because of the autoloader. They didn't need to do that)

I am not sure about the cost benefits of this so I might be totally wrong though.

Merzifonlu

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
23 2,027
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I like the turret with this 105mm gun and autoloader. It can also be integrated into our 8X8 armored vehicles. I also have an ammo suggestion for the 105mm. We need a 105mm diameter SAL guided missile that will be rapidly developed over the Cirit, fired from the muzzle. Its range should not exceed 5 km, but it should be a huge warhead.

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,678
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
I like the turret with this 105mm gun and autoloader. It can also be integrated into our 8X8 armored vehicles. I also have an ammo suggestion for the 105mm. We need a 105mm diameter SAL guided missile that will be rapidly developed over the Cirit, fired from the muzzle. Its range should not exceed 5 km, but it should be a huge warhead.
Roketsan already has one for 120mm cannons, called Tanok so I guess they can do the same thing for 105mm

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
Is this a new turret or modification of the old one? Why not they considered building an unmanned turret for M60s, like kaplan.. if it is an upgrade like Sabra, then as mentioned before I am also disappointed that it is not 120mm gun. May be for reducing cost? or embargo on 120mm, problems about producing or just being able to use existing ammo and gun for a while. Whatever the cause, even after this upgrade, these won't be for tank battles, just for supporting infantry. May be that is the reason, Altay Leos and Sabras are for that role and these for support

BordoEnes

Committed member
Reactions
2 866
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Is this a new turret or modification of the old one? Why not they considered building an unmanned turret for M60s, like kaplan.. if it is an upgrade like Sabra, then as mentioned before I am also disappointed that it is not 120mm gun. May be for reducing cost? or embargo on 120mm, problems about producing or just being able to use existing ammo and gun for a while. Whatever the cause, even after this upgrade, these won't be for tank battles, just for supporting infantry. May be that is the reason, Altay Leos and Sabras are for that role and these for support

Its a new one that can be mounted on both the M60 and T-72 tank. Its a very modular turret that can probably be modified in different configurations depending on the needs and requirements. Honestly I was pissed about still retaining the 105mm cannon but the arguments that was pro for its usage were actually quite good.

The idea was that the weight remained the same, which would not be the case with a 120mm cannon. It mean that crews would also need to be retrained and accustomed to its new weight, range, speed, accuracy and etc. which will all add costs on top of it aside from acquiring a shit ton of new 120mm shells. It was also apparently designed for Middle-Eastern region and countries, which flat out lack any capable modern tanks.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,639
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Great news. Finally those tin cans will be more able fighting machines that can withstand today’s modern battlefield conditions. My only criticism is:
Why 105mm gun and not 120mm? Especially when we have a winning formula in front of us with the ~170 M60TM with PULAT and new Volkan fire control system.
View attachment 53068

Make one for Kaplan MT please

Perhaps that's another reason to go with 105mm.

I remember that we talked about it, and probably wouldn't get cockeril barrel for Kaplan if we produced it for ourselves. Considering our western allies embargoes.

So if the 105mm automated turret+barrel is domestic then it's a good opportunity to test the turret+barrel and upgrade our old M60's at the same time. The tanks retain same weight but with improved protection, but with lesser firepower.

Also another question that pops up is, how much lifetime does these barrels have and would we be able to replace them. So if we have our own 105mm barrel on par with cockeril then I see it as a good chance to go domestic and ensure that we can replace the barrels without getting hit by sanctions and whatever else.

Overall I hope at the least we can churn out Kaplan type tanks with only domestic means.

Bmx98

Reactions
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
Sorry, we had delayed the tank for a decade.
BMC didn't delay the Tank. In fact they went beyond expectations and did it earlier than anyone thought. I mean people should really be more appreciative of the company, they did work their ass off to undo the mistakes of SSB.

No Name

Reactions
5 310
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
Is the Kaplan an actual tank or is it an IFV hull with an Cockeril turret on top?

I'm asking since i recently came across an FNSS IFV that looks extremely like the Kaplan.

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,783
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Is the Kaplan an actual tank or is it an IFV hull with an Cockeril turret on top?

I'm asking since i recently came across an FNSS IFV that looks extremely like the Kaplan.
Definitely not existing hull with John Cockerill turret on top. Engine placement is on the back for example.

No Name

Reactions
5 310
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
Definitely not existing hull with John Cockerill turret on top. Engine placement is on the back for example.
but couldn't the same hull have been remodelled? meaning the hull armour isn't too much tougher than an IFV's or does the strength of the Hull not matter as it is a light tank?

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom