Contributor
South Korea Correspondent
Reactions
33 1,924
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
You're very patient btw I would be triggered 10 times when I read some messages from our side about tanks.

We would make our own tank alone but it would take much more time (actually we've learnt that the time doesn't matter thx to Germans) :) . However, Korean brothers helped us to build it afaik so we should be more polite against them I guess.
Nah, I‘m cool. Koreans were very enthusiastic about Turkey as 1st major weapon customer of K2 and K9 technology (also out of necessity for Ankara cause of German cancellation of tank development cooperation).

A little too happy and unexperienced for my taste, Koreans gave you exporting rights for bargain price - the overwhelming power of Turkish bazar negotiation tactics hahaha 😂

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,571
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The German Parliamentary Commissioner for the Armed Forces is demanding another 200 billion EUR funding for the military to purchase more systems AND establish new production lines.
Unless they sort out their supply issues, those assembly lines will be empty.

Tuncay

Reactions
3 152
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
You‘ll need German permission to get Leo2s from other states like Spain. Anyway, if Europeans decide to send Leos into Ukraine there won‘t be much left for sale. All European militaries combined have only 2000-2200 Leo2 variants deployed 🤯
unfortunately then we have no other choice but to opt for foreign equivalents like K2 panther that can be supplied in minimal time, we need at worst a reinforcement of 3rd gen tanks 2th gen is insufficient unfortunately , they are effective at counterinsurgency operations and should be held on to but 340~ 3rd gen tanks are not enough. Sure altay tank may enter service in 2025 at best but with a 8/month production rate it will take time. im no expert and know these decisions should be left to them but it takes no expert to see that our armour is inadequate
ps : greek land forces operate 350 3rd gen tanks

Chocopie

Contributor
Reactions
33 1,924
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
unfortunately then we have no other choice but to opt for foreign equivalents like K2 panther that can be supplied in minimal time, we need at worst a reinforcement of 3rd gen tanks 2th gen is insufficient unfortunately , they are effective at counterinsurgency operations and should be held on to but 340~ 3rd gen tanks are not enough. Sure altay tank may enter service in 2025 at best but with a 8/month production rate it will take time. im no expert and know these decisions should be left to them but it takes no expert to see that our armour is inadequate
ps : greek land forces operate 350 3rd gen tanks
If I were the Turkish state I wouldn‘t buy foreign after all these years. Keep the dollars at home and accelerate the production with Korean power packs until Batu is ready (the critical part is the transmission, Renk is still unmatched).

Don‘t want to get into Turkish politics, but the animosities of Koç Group (Otokar) and AKP wasn‘t helpful.

Chocopie

Contributor
Reactions
33 1,924
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
That price tag is for a tank that exists.

Also, the European market is not so easy to take for Türkiye. I said this before, buying a final product from Türkiye is too much for much European pride. Even drones that have proven and hardened in battles failed to find customers, except for Poland.
Not only pride IMO, be it tanks or drones. They fear a Turkish embargo of spare parts when relations get (even more) sour with Mr. Erdogan … maybe possible after a change of power in Ankara.

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,485
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Mr Görgün: "We use experience gained in radar technologies at Akkor. Its mass production also continues. There is no 4th country in the world that can produce this type of products"

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,485
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Roketsan MZK turret developed for M60A3 tank modernization

M60A3.jpg
M60A3-Tank.jpg

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,485
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
  • First produced (2) Altays (T1) will be delivered this year. Altay with most likely Korean powerpack (I believe T1 variants will be delivered with S.Korean engines) will be delivered in 2025. Altay with BATU is in test and re-evaluation phase. New generation Altay with Batu powerpack (T3?) (National engine+transmission + maybe unmanned turret) will be on field for trials in 2025 as well.
  • 240+40 Leopard-2A4 will be upgraded with Aselsan/Roketsan armor/electronic solutions + Pulat APS
  • 600+ M60A3 tanks (How many of them will be upgraded is unknown) will be upgraded with Aselsan/Roketsan turret/electronic + new engine

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
112 14,723
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
  • First produced (2) Altays (T1) will be delivered this year. Altay with most likely Korean powerpack (I believe T1 variants will be delivered with S.Korean engines) will be delivered in 2025. Altay with BATU is in test and re-evaluation phase. New generation Altay with Batu powerpack (T3?) (National engine+transmission + maybe unmanned turret) will be on field for trials in 2025 as well.
  • 240+40 Leopard-2A4 will be upgraded with Aselsan/Roketsan armor/electronic solutions + Pulat APS
  • 600+ M60A3 tanks (How many of them will be upgraded is unknown) will be upgraded with Aselsan/Roketsan turret/electronic + new engine
Great news. Finally those tin cans will be more able fighting machines that can withstand today’s modern battlefield conditions. My only criticism is:
Why 105mm gun and not 120mm? Especially when we have a winning formula in front of us with the ~170 M60TM with PULAT and new Volkan fire control system.
1674738604018.jpeg

begturan

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Roketsan MZK turret developed for M60A3 tank modernization

View attachment 53054 View attachment 53055

It is so logical to built light weight Turret thus they gained extra capacity for add on armour on tank body.

We dont have strong engine to upgrade our M60s but we have been solved engine problem thanks to reduced turret weight.

Even 1000 HP Utku power pack goes into mass production we couldnt produce enough numbers for M60s becaus ofe Firtina 2 SPHs waiting for them. SO this solution is best option, well done Turkish engineers.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom