Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,155
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I find this concept a great idea that could be implemented on larger aircraft if stable enough.
Not good, the only advantage is storage compactness but disadvantage is transitions can turn out to be problematic. You can remove the wings for compactness instead and transition only in pitch axis for better reliability.

Fuzuli NL

Experienced member
Germany Correspondent
Reactions
20 8,264
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Not good, the only advantage is storage compactness but disadvantage is transitions can turn out to be problematic. You can remove the wings for compactness instead and transition only in pitch axis for better reliability.
"transitions can turn out to be problematic"
Hence the "if stable enough" part.

"You can remove the wings for compactness"
Takes a lot longer though.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,155
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
"transitions can turn out to be problematic"
Hence the "if stable enough" part.

"You can remove the wings for compactness"
Takes a lot longer though.
Transition in 2 axes doubles the risk of complications and failure. Too much pain for no remarkable gain.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,155
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Chad gets its Aksungur after getting Anka.

Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 15-50-49 UAV Exports.png

Mis_TR_Like

Contributor
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
25 4,998
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
I'm bored of TB3 flights.

I think we all want to see more Kızılelma and Anka 3 videos. I especially can't wait to see them being mass produced.

Fingers crossed we will see Kızılelmas with Turkish airforce roundels this year.

Apart from Anka 3/4 and Kızılelma, a I'd love to see two new types of drones:

1) A VTOL CAS and loitering munition mothership drone:

Screenshot_20240426-103428_Gallery.jpg

(Ignore the design above, it's literally a VTOL from Crysis) Essentially a jet or rotary wing VTOL drone which can provide traditional CAS similar to a helicopter, but is also capable of launching and coordinating kamikaze drone attacks.

We have quite a few loitering munition products such as Kargı and Alpagu. We've obviously observed how effective these types of weapons are over the past few years. BUT, generally these are operated by soldiers who are relatively close to enemy. This simply makes them impractical for mountain warfare for numerous reasons.

A mothership VTOL drone with an advanced sensor package could serve as as a "mastermind" through which dozens of loitering munitions can be controlled via SATCOM. This would allow us to launch mass attacks deep into enemy territory, including strikes into PKK caves where which Kargı's or other drones switch to their fully autonomous mode and wreak havoc on all terrorists within.

We need something like this to completely eradicate PKK in the mountains.

2) A low flying A10 or SU-25-like CAS drone:

Purely for shock and awe.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,155
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Last edited:

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,736
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
2) A low flying A10 or SU-25-like CAS drone:
While I like and agree with the first concept, I think this is pretty pointless and a waste of resources when everyone and their mums seem to have manpads. And not just manpads, but systems like Iran's 358 missile will become more available as well.

To save cost on 50k missiles you'd be risking several millions worth drone. Warfare has moved on from A 10 and its kind of close air support, there is no need to go back in time.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom