Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Bless the Argentinians. I have been a lifetime fan of Argy football team since World Cup 1978. I confess I was sceptical of the JF-17 Thunder project but over time I have seen it to mature into a capable platform with more finer tuning this will fighter will offer maximum buck for your dollars.

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Envious people had to ruin great news....

Anyway, congratulations to Pakistan on this deal, Argentina a might be poor country at moment but they are one of those countries that everybody wants to cooperate and they could be siignificamt trade partner in future for Pakistan if this deal would be followed.
On the other hand, Argentinians got realy potent platform for cheap price, they guessed well how Pakistan "milk life" from airframes and with advanced technical support from China they got respectable airforce capability for their surroundings.

Last edited:

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,988
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Seeing the poor state of the Argentinian armed forces.

Honestly its good that they chosen the JF17 it means that Argentina is on the road to recover its armed forces.

Not to mention the JF17 has no strings attached also a formidable jet especially for the price.

Lets be honest American and Russian jets are expensive and American planes have strings attached.

Great choice.

Last edited:

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Envious people had to ruin great news....

Anyway, congratulations to Pakistan on this deal, Argentina a might be poor country at moment but they are one of those countries that everybody wants to cooperate and they could be siignificamt trade partner in future for Pakistan if this deal would be followed.
On the other hand, Argentinians got realy potent platform for cheap price, they guessed well how Pakistan "milk life" from airframes and with advanced technical support from China they got respectable airforce capability for their surroundings.
Thanks for the words of support. from acorn do might oaks grow. PAC Kamra, the facility which is involved in building JF-Thunders began back in late 1960s after USA blocked all support/spares for PAF fighters which in those days were almost all exclusively US made Starfighters, Sabres etc

Since then the facility has grown into a huge complex with thousands employed. PAF Kamra is only few miles east of my ancestral village marked on the map with PAF Kamra adjacent to it. Everytime I visit Pakistan i go past it from Islamabad Airport. From suburbs of Taxila to Wah to Kamra is taken up vast defence industrial complex. Besides Pakistan Aeronautical Complex there is Pakistan Ordinance Factories [POF] and HIT or Heavy Industries Taxila.

OPTIMUS

Reactions
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
What the Argentines achieved on May 19, 1966, Turkey recently achieved.

Under this sentence you can write a lot about how the Argentines from the mid-60s haired, especially from the 70s, we supplied the Middle East with top rocket technology.

Argentina had a lot of potential for nuclear power but gambled away the chance with the Falklands War.

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
PAC Kamra with housing for workers and airbase for flight testing.

PAF K.png

Heavy Industries Taxila. POF, HIT tank factories, guns and other military related industries down to uniforms, combat meals etc. Again a vast complex has developed with universties that produce the required technical workforce. Many won't know this but Taxila is location where Alexander of Macedon rested before the Battle of Hydaspes slightly to the east. Today it is a suburb of Islamabad and home of most of Pakistan's military production capability. As we move forward there is increasing upward capability and skills development taking place. Like I said from acorns grow mighty oaks.

PAF Kamra 2.png

HIT Taxila with universities. This region has become a catalyst for science, technology and advanced manufacturing. Just on the edge is Khan Labs in Kahuta which are involved in making Pakistan's nuclear weapon systems.

HIT Taxila.png

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Burn at someplace else indian
Ignore him. The very fact that this thread is recieving attention from certain type can be taken as positive.

Taxila by the way was home of what is considered asa first university of the ancient world. This entire region was home of Gandhara civilization. Today it is home of Pakistan's military industrial complex from tanks, aircraft to nuclear missiles.

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Thanks for the words of support. from acorn do might oaks grow. PAC Kamra, the facility which is involved in building JF-Thunders began back in late 1960s after USA blocked all support/spares for PAF fighters which in those days were almost all exclusively US made Starfighters, Sabres etc

Since then the facility has grown into a huge complex with thousands employed. PAF Kamra is only few miles east of my ancestral village marked on the map with PAF Kamra adjacent to it. Everytime I visit Pakistan i go past it from Islamabad Airport. From suburbs of Taxila to Wah to Kamra is taken up vast defence industrial complex. Besides Pakistan Aeronautical Complex there is Pakistan Ordinance Factories [POF] and HIT or Heavy Industries Taxila.
there is no need for thanks, i am witness that you are one of the sharpest critics of your own country and that is more then fine on every level. Due that you do not need to explain your abilities as country in aeronautics field even if you cooperated with martians :).
Altough, i feel saltiness as Pakistan confirmed once again its position among countries that export product which is almost highend military product, i enjoy vivisection from salty people that you only stick label on it, no better reflection of your sucsess altough you are aware there is huge space for improvement :).
I would finish this reply with internal joke among my inner social circle, unhappiness of my enemy brings me more joy then my own happiness:)

Last edited:

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,348
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Congratulations, this is the 3rd successful export after Myanmar and Nigeria.

and it's the BLK III. so yes for that cost Argentina got:

• AESA RADAR
  • HMD (curious what HMD)
  • BVR AAM
  • air refueling ???
  • ability to employ smart bombs
  • RD-93MA increased thrust engine ???

kumata

Reactions
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
Q - Is the deal signed on dotted line yet ????

In what configuration these are to be delivered ... what are the technical specs ... etc etc

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
I have deleted lot of the salty posts here. Any more posts even mm off tangent will get deleted and a thread ban.

kumata

Reactions
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
Apparently, Not the case...time to close this thread as being as pure speculative propaganda. Apparently, Funded are requested but JF is not in anywhere...& No jet is selected per se yet.

The Ministry of Defense informs that, by means of a Public Credit Operations Authorization note, it has requested the inclusion for the 2022 Budget of the authorization to manage credit for up to USD 664 million for the acquisition of multipurpose fighter aircraft, for the surveillance and control of the air space.
Likewise, this ministry clarifies that it has not been issued regarding the purchase of supersonic aircraft of any origin and is in the technical-economic and financial evaluation stage of five alternatives.

The Ministry of Defense informs that, by means of a Public Credit Operations Authorization note, it has requested the inclusion for the 2022 Budget of the authorization to manage credit for up to USD 664 million for the acquisition of multipurpose fighter aircraft, for the surveillance and control of the air space.
Likewise, this ministry clarifies that it has not been issued regarding the purchase of supersonic aircraft of any origin and is in the technical-economic and financial evaluation stage of five alternatives.

Last edited:

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,818
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
ISLAMABAD — Argentina insists reports the country is buying the JF-17 Thunder warplane are premature, but analysts believe it could still succeed where other fighter types failed — mostly as a result of British pressure.

Speculation arose after media reports highlighted a request in Argentina’s fiscal 2022 draft budget for $664 million to purchase 12 JF-17s from Pakistan.

However, Argentina’s embassy in Islamabad told Defense News that “no final decision has been made, as there are five alternatives currently being assessed.” When asked to identify those contenders, the embassy responded: “We don’t have any information on those alternatives.”

Andrei Serbin Pont, the director of Argentinean think tank CRIES and a former adviser at the country’s Strategic Affairs Secretariat, said there’s been a history of such speculation. Argentina has previously “included funds for acquisition of aircraft in the budget, but the aircraft were not acquired. This occurred with Mirage F-1Ms and with Kfirs (canceled last minute in 2015),” he explained.

He believes the JF-17 is an attractive choice for Argentina because the aircraft is “out of reach of possible U.K. vetoing of parts, and at the same time it is the only new aircraft within the budgetary restraints of the Argentine Air Force.”

The U.K. previously pressured suppliers to cancel deals with Argentina, or sabotaged them by embargoing critical British components. Britain has effectively maintained an arms embargo on Argentina since the 1982 Falklands War.

Over the past decade, the country pressured Spain to scrap a deal to supply surplus Mirage F1M fighters, and a deal for Kfir jets from Israel appears to have failed due to a combination of British pressure and American control of the aircraft’s J79 engines.

Britain also effectively vetoed the sale to Argentina of Brazilian license-built Swedish Saab Gripen and Korea Aerospace Industries FA-50 aircraft. And the U.K. stopped the return to Argentinian service of ex-French Super Etendard Modernisé strike aircraft by refusing to provide export clearance for British components.

However, the JF-17 can operate with solely Chinese subsystems, effectively making it immune from British pressure.

Still, Serbin Pont said, “the United States is making a push offering used F-16s, and another alternative being put on the table are modernized F/A-18s.”

“Although Mirage and MiG aircraft are still under consideration, these are the least likely to be selected,” he added.

Brazil-based defense analyst Alex Galante believes while “the Argentine government has a preference for the JF-17,″ it might be “awaiting a better offer from the U.S. or Russia.”

Added aerospace expert Justin Bronk of the Royal United Services Institute: “After other options have been repeatedly blocked or fallen through on finance grounds, the [JF-17] aircraft increasingly looks like the best option available.” But at this stage, he added, “any replacement fighter would be a potentially transformative boon for the Fuerza Aérea Argentina [Air Force] after more than a decade of unsuccessful attempts to replace its Mirage III and V fleets.”

Britain’s diplomatic post in Pakistan did not respond to Defense News about how the European country might react to a JF-17 sale, but aerospace expert Douglas Barrie, at the London-based International Institute for Strategic Studies, suspects Britain is closely watching the procurement effort because of the aircraft’s weapons package.

“While the JF-17/FC-1 as a platform has only modest combat aircraft characteristics, some of the Chinese air-to-air and air-to-surface missiles that are being or are already integrated on the aircraft are capable, notably the PL-10 short-range IIR AAM and the PL-12 active-radar-guided AAM,” Barrie said. “The medium-range C-802 anti-ship missile has also been seen on development aircraft.”

But Bronk pointed out that the JF-17 has “limited range while carrying such weapons, especially in the context of Argentina’s extensive land and maritime territory.”

“It also remains to be seen whether the Fuerza Aérea Argentina would be able to sustain a decent serviceability rate with the JF-17, if delivered, as recent decades have not been kind to the FAA in this regard.”

Argentina’s Air Force has struggled to replace aging aircraft and maintain offensive capabilities, having retired nearly all is front-line combat aircraft, save for some A-4AR Fightinghawk attack aircraft now supported by and even smaller number of IA-63 Pampa jet trainers.

The fourth-generation JF-17 is jointly developed and produced by China’s Chengdu Aerospace Corporation and the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex, the latter of which produces 58 percent of the airframe and undertakes final assembly. The latest Block III variant, in production for Pakistan and being offered to Argentina, features a range of improvements including an active electronically scanned array radar, plus the choice of a Chinese WS-13 engine rather than the Russian RD-93 that powered the first two variants and those in Pakistani service.

Ravenman

Contributor
Reactions
1 1,528
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Couldn't Turkey buy these jets until we have our new domestic fighter?

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom