Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,293
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
I heard ATMACA is in the list.

Btw seems like all of BN recent modernization are all about installing anti shipping weapons on as many hulls as possible while its lacking in ASW and AAW department. I check that only BNS Bangabandhu has a dedicated torpedo launchers. While the BN fleet aviation doesn't operate any shipboard ASW helicopters.

Myanmar on the other hand has a dedicated class of sub-hunters PC and its AAW capability will be significantly enhanced once the 4000 tons frigate commissioned this decade.

Documentary on BNS Prottoy and Bangabandhu in Bengali.

Normally, they blur this kind of thing.

Screenshot (977).png

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,274
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh

Btw seems like all of BN recent modernization are all about installing anti shipping weapons on as many hulls as possible while its lacking in ASW and AAW department. I check that only BNS Bangabandhu has a dedicated torpedo launchers. While the BN fleet aviation doesn't operate any shipboard ASW helicopters.

Myanmar on the other hand has a dedicated class of sub-hunters PC and its AAW capability will be significantly enhanced once the 4000 tons frigate commissioned this decade.

View attachment 51022
Dont worry, i personally visited one of our ships.
they are just too old to be classified!
hopefully, if we can get our frigate program going in next 4/5 years it will fix all the issues and fill the capability gaps.
by the way, Indonesia really did a good job with the procurement of those six Fremm.

Last edited:

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,293
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Dont worry, i personally visited one of these ships.
they are just too old to be classified!
My earlier understanding is that those are the CIC room of the Prottoy, but from your writing this must be the Bangabandhu Tacticos console no ?
hopefully, if we can get our frigate program going in next 4/5 years it will fix all the issues and fill the capability gaps.
The frigate program has been postponed no ?

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,274
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
My earlier understanding is that those are the CIC room of the Prottoy, but from your writing this must be the Bangabandhu Tacticos console no ?
Not sure right now, i was just making a general point.
The frigate program has been postponed no ?
Unofficially? yes,
but defense ministry assured that, all the ship would be delivered to the navy by 2030.

Last edited:

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,274
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
The Prottoy is quite new, dunno your point in calling it too old.
yes,
but i was just making fun of our old ships, from my personal experience.
the one i visited was BNS umar farooq.
believe it or not, in the bridge, the screens in the console were covered with old wood panels.

and that photo that you are asking about is from bangabandhu.
it has Thales Tactios CMS.

Last edited:

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,293
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
yes,
but i was just making fun of our old ships, from my personal experience.
the one i visited was BNS umar farooq.
believe it or not, in the bridge, the screens in the console were covered with old wood panels.

yeah I could see that. at least when it comes to the Bangabandhu. Once I saw a short video on the Bangabandhu, surprise to see a cathode ray tube screen still in use for navigation equipment on its bridge.

The Prottoy otoh is quite new, wonder why not make that one the flagship instead?

F-6 enthusiast

Reactions
1 595
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Bangladesh

View attachment 51022
as far as i know , BNS BB is the only vessel that is equipped with the Thales Tacticos Battle Management System.
very likely we'll see some in BN service , question is , how do you integrate Turkish Missile with French/Italian/Chinese fire control radar and other systems ? Very expensive and time consuming
Unless we are getting a Turkish design like the Pakistanis...

imo BN could use this as a coastal defence system in addition to being used as an Ashm

Last edited:

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,293
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
as far as i know , BNS BB is the only vessel that is equipped with the Thales Tacticos Battle Management System.
Yes but a very old iteration on one.
very likely we'll see some in BN service , question is , how do you integrate Turkish Missile with French/Italian/Chinese fire control radar and other systems ? Very expensive and time consuming
The 2 type 053H3 are quite newly refurbished and uses Chinese domestic CMS, likely the H/ZKJ. maybe @Afif could share more on this. So its harder to integrate the Atmaca. The Bangabandhu otoh uses a westernized architecture, integrating the Atmaca will be much more easier. Especially once BN decides to update the Tacticos CMS to the latest update and consoles.

Did those Otomat on board still works ?
imo BN could use this as a coastal defence system.
this is just one application of the Atmaca.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,274
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh

imo BN could use this as a coastal defence system in addition to being used as an Ashm
AFAIK tactios has open an architecture compatible with all nato standard systems. so, atmaca integration wont be that hard.

maybe, they want to integrate atmaca with two hamilton class frigate too?!
these once used to carry harpoons.

but as you suggested, these atmaca can also be costal batteries.

Last edited:

F-6 enthusiast

Reactions
1 595
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
This was from about 3 months ago
1670021300704.png

TLDR : BN has procured two new ASW helos (no mention of what origin) and within the next 5 years plans to include :
1. 2 subamrines
2. 6 new ASW helos
3. 2 Long range Maritime Patrol Aircraft
surface fleet ?
which ASW helos can operate from BN frigate hangars ?

We cannot afford to be outpaced by MN in the naval theatre . We will have to get the necessary technologies to build our own vessels and minor subsystems in the future. Naval Strategy is Build strategy.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,293
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
TLDR : BN has procured two new ASW helos (no mention of what origin) and within the next 5 years plans to include :
1. 2 subamrines
2. 6 new ASW helos
surface fleet ?
based on the pic you post. Type 053G, AW109...etc aren't these older procurement ?

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,274
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
View attachment 51026
1. 2 subamrines
2. 6 new ASW helos
surface fleet ?

We cannot afford to be outpaced by MN in the naval theatre . We will have to get the necessary technologies to build our own vessels and minor subsystems in the future. Naval Strategy is Build strategy.
I think these 8 ASW mostly for our next gen 5/6 new frigates.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,274
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
based on the pic you post. Type 053G, AW109...etc aren't these older procurement ?
yes, but he is talking about two new submarines and 8 ASW helicopters.

PutinBro

Committed member
Reactions
4 227
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
Bangladesh

All our old ships including BB are going to be replaced in next 8-9 years.New anti ship missiles will be deployed on new ships unless I am wrong.
Not sure right now, i was just making a general point.

Unofficially? yes,
but defense ministry assured that, all the ship would be delivered to the navy by 2030
The project to build frigate in bangladesh is delayed.But new frigates are certainly going to join the fleet.In past BN planned to order 3 frigates in 2022 but possibly because of continuous economic problems that is not happening.

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,817
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Don't know if BNS BB's modernization is complete or not.
In my opinion BNS BB should already taking MLU program as they are already 20 years old

BNS BB was going through MLU program. It CMS, navigational radar, 40mm CIWS etc are getting modernized/upgraded. Just not sure if the MLU is complete or not. It's been going on for some years.

I check that only BNS Bangabandhu has a dedicated torpedo launchers.

Two Durgom class ASW LPCs also have dedicated torpedo launchers.

This is BNS Prottoy's CIC.

I think the Hamiltons and Bangabandhu could afford a Dauphin like ASW helo.

I wonder if these went through ?

Old news and cancelled. AW-159 or MH-60R are currently being considered.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom