Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,817
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
On 21st November in her Armed Forces Day speech, PM said that BN is working on to locally manufacture/develop IFF system, torpedo, naval gun and mine.

Wondering if this is the naval gun BN developed/manufactured/assembled locally and choose to install it on our patrol craft. Should've kept my expectation low.

1678032312050.png

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,817
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Nope.This is bofors 40mm.

Yes, I know. PM/BN didn't exactly provide any details about the gun so this could be the one we're probably assembling/manufacturing under ToT. Since BN lacks fund and expertise to develop/manufacture/assemble any modern 30mm gun under ToT, this could make sense. Like I said, we should probably keep our expectation low since we're talking about Bangladeshi govt. Too many promises with few good results.

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,817
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Is Bangladesh also in talks for Type-23? There was rumor about BN's interest in Type-23 for a long time even couple of years ago. Looks like BN even tried to purchase them in/before 2007. New frigate isn't coming anytime soon so this would make sense as stop gap and BN has habit. Bangladeshi delegates were also briefed about Sea Ceptor few years ago.

"Bangladesh was interested in Type-23 Duke class frigates but could not confront the cost."

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,314
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Five ships from uk are, ( as you discussed before ) two mine hunter, one survey vessel and two OPV ( which would be built in BD )
Other than that, I think any stop gap solution is highly unlikely given the frigate program is realizing now.

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,817
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Five ships from uk are, ( as you discussed before ) two mine hunter, one survey vessel and two OPV ( which would be built in BD )
Other than that, I think any stop gap solution is highly unlikely given the frigate program is realizing now.

Nope, completely irrelevant. Those will be new if it happens. Most probably OPV. Even if you start building now, you won't get first frigate before two/three years and they didn't even sign any contract yet (unless you've any new info to add). Like I said before, three Sandown MCMVs are the last update.

Last edited:

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,314
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Nope, completely irrelevant. Those will be new if it happens. Most probably OPV. Even if you start building now, you won't get first ship before two/three years and they didn't even sign any contract yet (unless you've any new info to add). Like I said before, three Sandown MCMVs are the last update.
MOD‘s plan says two MCMVs though. That is why I see it fits five 5 ship from Uk announcement Along with 02 OPV as well as one research ship.

1678756851546.png

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,817
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
MOD‘s plan says two MCMVs though. That is why I see it fits five 5 ship from Uk announcement Along with 02 OPV as well as one research ship.

That's two years ago. Update info from last year says three Sandown class. Perhaps you didn't notice.

"Bangladesh will buy five warships from the United Kingdom. Two of these will be made in Bangladesh and three in the UK."

Completely new OPVs.

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,817
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Not the proposed site for the dockyard but looks there some types of development work is going on that marked place at BNS Mongla. Pic from Sunday.

1678816628589.png

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,817
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Looks like BNS Sheikh Hasina will be commissioned/inaugurated tomorrow. Bit surprising cause I was expecting BNS Sher E Bangla will be commissioned/inaugurated first. BNS Sheikh Hasina's construction is supposed to be completed in 2027-28FY. (DefRes says that the commissioning/inauguration ceremony is tomorrow. Couldn't confirm that but yes, BN is commissioning the base.)

Satellite image:- 14th March.

1679188714253.png

Last edited:

F-6 enthusiast

Reactions
1 595
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Looks like BNS Sheikh Hasina will be commissioned/inaugurated tomorrow. Bit surprising cause I was expecting BNS Sher E Bangla will be commissioned/inaugurated first. BNS Sheikh Hasina's construction is supposed to be completed in 2027-28FY. (DefRes says that the commissioning/inauguration ceremony is tomorrow. Couldn't confirm that but yes, BN is commissioning the base.)

Satellite image:- 14th March.

View attachment 55101
hopefully they announce something good during the inaugruation.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,314
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
BN should keep future indigenous submarine building in mind while upgrading it's shipyard/dockyard. We can build midget and type 209 class sub if we want in future.
Honestly Type 209 does not serve the purpose of having a actual submarine fleet given our geography and neighborhood.
We need AIP boats if we want to offer a credible deterrence. ( and i think korean or Japanese options are financially within reach. And maybe we could explore Turkish option in the long run )

Last edited:

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,314
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Can we afford it ? will they even offer their subs to us ?
Honestly idk about Japan and ROK , can we trust them in a conflict with MN ?
I think if we can afford to build frigate for $400/500 million each than Yes, i believe so.

Mayanmar isn't the issue in the long run. Our surface fleet ( new frigates ) alone can take care of their navy ( + air force with Typhoon )

However, when it comes to submarine fleet, we have two fundamental strategic objectives in the long run.

1. Primarily to achieve anti access area denial capability in the bay of bengal against a Numerically superior adversary in any conflict scenario.

2. Secondly, and this is more vital, gaining the ability break any potential naval blockade of bay of bengal. ( which could potentially paralyze our economy )

In both scenario surface fleet cannot achieve such objectives against a Numerically and physically superior adversary.

So having 2000+ ton 4/6 AIP boats are critical. ( Preferably 3000 ton boats ) which can dive for a month or so.

Can we trust Japan and ROK in any potential conflcit against certain neighbors? Very good question.

Short answer is, I don't have any definitive answer to that.

So what other option do you suggest then? German ones are too expensive. On the other hand Turks won't have their first boat before 2030. ( assuming China is out of equation given their relationship with Myanmar )

F-6 enthusiast

Reactions
1 595
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Our surface fleet ( new frigates )
BN hasn't signed any contract with anyone.
+ air force with Typhoon )
This is just a dream for BAF. The There will never be a BAF roundel on the Typhoon.

I have doubts as to whether the current financial situation will improve to allow major purchases , even if it does this gov doesn't seem to be keen on protecting our sovereignty.
Can we trust Japan and ROK in any potential conflcit against certain neighbors?
That and also what will be the reactions when we engage in conflict with an ASEAN member state ?
German ones are too expensive.
they are likely to be less expensive than Japanese ones which are limited in number and as of yet not been exported anywhere resulting in more unit cost.

assuming China is out of equation given their relationship with Myanmar
If the economic situation does not improve , this is the option that BN may choose.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,314
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
BN hasn't signed any contract with anyone.
No comment.
This is just a dream for BAF. The There will never be a BAF roundel on the Typhoon.
I really don’t know about that. But I wouldn’t call it a dream, specially when they announced it in the parliament in front of the president that, the process is going on.
I have doubts as to whether the current financial situation will improve to allow major purchases , even if it does this gov doesn't seem to be keen on protecting our sovereignty.
There are ways to go around the current financial situation. Like how Indonesia is purchasing Rafale.
That and also what will be the reactions when we engage in conflict with an ASEAN member state ?
personally I think it wouldn’t be a big deal. But we can ask @Gary
they are likely to be less expensive than Japanese ones which are limited in number and as of yet not been exported anywhere resulting in more unit cost.

If the economic situation does not improve , this is the option that BN may choose.
Bro, Chinese option also very expensive. Pakistan buying 8 hangor class submarine in 5 billion dollars deal.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom