Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
18 19,918
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
  • Squadron 131 (the "Knights of the Yellow Bird") is currently completing the process of aerial improvement of the "Rhino" aircraft (Hercules C-130HI), which began several years ago. With eight aviation "rhino" planes in their possession, they claim - this is not the same plane that was in the past. How is the new "rhino" different and what is the whole process? Read and find out

The proposal to begin the process of improving the "Rhino" (Hercules C-130HI), operated by Squadron 131 ("Knights of the Yellow Bird"), came up in discussions at the Air Force headquarters as early as February 2008. When it came time to renew the "rhinos" that were In service in the corps from the early 1970s, it was decided to replace some of them with "Samson" aircraft (Super Hercules C-130J) and improve the rest of the "rhinos" in aviation. That is, add new electronic systems to them. The first aircraft to undergo the improvement process leaves for the aerospace industry in 2015 and opens a new era in Squadron 131.

Photo: Amit Agronov

Improvement Along with the squadron's operationality, it was required to continue to carry out its missions while its aircraft underwent an improvement process, which posed no small challenge. "We had to continue our operational work. The 'Rhino' aircraft performs many tactical transport missions in the corps, such as delivering hits, low-altitude flights and refueling Yasur helicopters (CH-53) - a unique mission for our squadron," describes Lt. Col. (Res. A.), commander of the 131st Squadron at the time. "Simultaneously with the improvement process, the 103rd Squadron (the" Elephants ") was closed to accommodate new 'Samson' aircraft, and most of the tasks of the heavy transport system passed to us."

At the beginning of 2017, Squadron 131 underwent a unique process of splitting into two parallel squadrons - one operated the old "Rhino" aircraft, and was in the process of closing. The second squadron was in the midst of construction processes, absorbing the new aviation rhino (C-130HI). "We decided to pilot take two-week break to prepare for the process, following the realization that we pick up a brand new platform and we will have a team construction of new flight procedures rewriting from scratch," says Colonel (Ret) A.

After a few years, 131 Squadron Eight aircraft completed upgrade "Rhino" in the aerospace industry, as its air force order gradually intensified. "This is a challenging project - to take a 'rhino' that has flown for almost 50 years and bring it to the advanced generation. The process required careful planning, a broad vision and the integration of several professions, "describes Major Mordi, commander of the transport aircraft division in the maintenance squadron of the Nabataean base. "During the process,

At the forefront of technology then what makes the avian "rhino" an entirely new platform? Captain Y., an Air Force fighter in Squadron 131, says: "The old 'Rhino' aircraft did not provide a satisfactory solution to the tasks and challenges that Air Force fighters in 2021 have to deal with in flight. The cockpit has completely changed and become a 'glass cockpit' - that is, instead of analog tuners there are task screens on which necessary data for the flight can be displayed, such as lanes, engine data, radar (detects distance direction), weather and more. Also added was a top view, which is a common technology in fighter jets. It is a glass that displays the flight data, so that the pilot can see them when he looks out of the cockpit. "

Improvement is not only an avian process, but also a mechanical one. "In some of the planes, the center wing has been replaced - something that rarely happens. The plane still has 45-year-old components, but they undergo extensive maintenance, so that at the technical level the plane received many more years of flight," says Lt. Col. (Res.) A. N. E., the technical officer of Squadron 131: "The improvement brought the 'Rhino' aircraft, which is a very old platform, to the forefront of technology. It has become a relevant, advanced aircraft with unique tactical transport capabilities for our squadron."

Easier, more efficient The improvement greatly affected the Corps' heavy transport array and the 131st Squadron in particular. "Today the flight data is presented in a very convenient visual way - the pilot has the ability to adjust the data views to the flight outline in a versatile and optimal way. In addition, we have systems that allow information to be transmitted between planes - I can send routes and threats to the plane flying next to me. To send data that will be displayed on my screen ", Captain Y. specifies.

"In addition, the top view allows us to fly more safely, because I do not have to look away from the terrain to look at the flight data," adds Captain Y. "Similarly, a weather radar allows us to perform tasks in more difficult conditions that we could not perform in the past. The additional upgrades allow for dark and low altitude flying more effectively. In addition, young pilots now perform tasks that previously only veteran pilots could perform such as refueling helicopters,

"On every flight of mine on the avian rhino, from the first flight to the present day, I get off it with a great sense of satisfaction and a smile. This aircraft is a summit in terms of technology and avionics. It enables many missions to be performed easily and efficiently," Lt. Col. "I get off flights with a sense of ability and a feeling that the plane supports me optimally."

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom