Cousin marriage playing havoc with health in Pakistan

crixus

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
India
It's social practice and driven primarily by conservative rural cultures to preserve their landed wealth. Your talking as if your a Swede. The fact is over 9% of Hindus in India practice cousin marriage - this figure was higher in the past particularly in the south but has reduced over the decades. Aas referance Indian Muslim clock in at 15% cousin marriage. You draw your own inferances from this. If you estimate the Hindu population of India at about 1.1 billion this would mean at 9% about 100 million Indian Hindus indulge in this practice. No offence but 100 million is a vast number that would drown all of Turkey and Greece combined.

Prevalence and determinants of consanguineous marriage and its types in India: evidence from the National Family Health Survey, 2015-2016​

Abstract​

The aim of the present study was to estimate the prevalence and examine the determinants of consanguineous marriage types in India. Data for 456,646 ever-married women aged 15-49 years were analysed from the National Family Health Survey (NFHS)-4 conducted in 2015-16. The overall prevalence of consanguineous marriage was 9.9%; the South region (23%) and North-East region (3.1%) showed the highest and lowest prevalences, respectively. Muslims had a higher prevalence (15%) than Hindus (9%). The prevalence of first cousin marriage (8.7%) was more than that of second cousin (0.7%) and of uncle-niece marriages (0.6%). Women living in urban areas and in nuclear families, having a higher level of education and belonging to affluent families were less likely to marry their cousins (p < 0.01). Women living in the South region of the country were more likely to marry their cousins, as well as uncles (p < 0.001). Close scrutiny of the trends in the results (odds ratios) revealed no clear relationship between socioeconomic condition and consanguineous marriage. The study results suggest that religion and north-south regional dichotomy in culture largely determine consanguineous marriage rather than socioeconomic condition in India.

But no Hindu practise it in UK , what you say about that blame Hindus . I thought you guys become higher up after getting converted

The young British Pakistani women prepared to marry their COUSINS in order to keep their families happy - but risk giving birth to disabled children​

• BBC Three documentary Should I Marry My Cousin? follows 18-year-old Hiba
  • She is on a quest to figure out whether she should follow her family tradition
  • Hiba speaks with her own relatives as well as two sisters on their wedding day
  • They marry their own cousins in a double ceremony
  • Hiba looks at research from the 'Born in Bradford' study which is a long-term study of 13,500 children born in 2007 whose health is being tracked
  • Worried over potential genetic issues when having children with a cousin, the research shocks Hiba who chooses not to marry her own relative

You guys have literally fucked british health system by marrying your cousines

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
But no Hindu practise it in UK , what you say about that blame Hindus . I thought you guys become higher up after getting converted
I thought the thread was 'Pakistan' and not exclusively about UK. As regards conversion tell me when your aboriginal ancestors got converted by the Vedic invaders from the north West did they 'become higher'?

crixus

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
India
I thought the thread was 'Pakistan' and not exclusively about UK. As regards conversion tell me when your aboriginal ancestors got converted by the Vedic invaders from the north West did they 'become higher'?
As you said its about society and Pakistani society is carrying out same practise in UK .... LoL you guys are making a name for yourself even in UK

Jackdaws

Experienced member
Reactions
1 1,582
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
As you said its about society and Pakistani society is carrying out same practise in UK .... LoL you guys are making a name for yourself even in UK
Please don't deviate and fall for the whataboutism that @Kaptaan usually does on threads where he gets riled up.

Jackdaws

Experienced member
Reactions
1 1,582
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
It's social practice and driven primarily by conservative rural cultures to preserve their landed wealth. Your talking as if your a Swede. The fact is over 9% of Hindus in India practice cousin marriage - this figure was higher in the past particularly in the south but has reduced over the decades. Aas referance Indian Muslim clock in at 15% cousin marriage. You draw your own inferances from this. If you estimate the Hindu population of India at about 1.1 billion this would mean at 9% about 100 million Indian Hindus indulge in this practice. No offence but 100 million is a vast number that would drown all of Turkey and Greece combined.

Prevalence and determinants of consanguineous marriage and its types in India: evidence from the National Family Health Survey, 2015-2016​

Abstract​

The aim of the present study was to estimate the prevalence and examine the determinants of consanguineous marriage types in India. Data for 456,646 ever-married women aged 15-49 years were analysed from the National Family Health Survey (NFHS)-4 conducted in 2015-16. The overall prevalence of consanguineous marriage was 9.9%; the South region (23%) and North-East region (3.1%) showed the highest and lowest prevalences, respectively. Muslims had a higher prevalence (15%) than Hindus (9%). The prevalence of first cousin marriage (8.7%) was more than that of second cousin (0.7%) and of uncle-niece marriages (0.6%). Women living in urban areas and in nuclear families, having a higher level of education and belonging to affluent families were less likely to marry their cousins (p < 0.01). Women living in the South region of the country were more likely to marry their cousins, as well as uncles (p < 0.001). Close scrutiny of the trends in the results (odds ratios) revealed no clear relationship between socioeconomic condition and consanguineous marriage. The study results suggest that religion and north-south regional dichotomy in culture largely determine consanguineous marriage rather than socioeconomic condition in India.

This thread isn't about India - please feel free to open a separate thread about a similar topic for India instead of engaging in whataboutery.

Jackdaws

Experienced member
Reactions
1 1,582
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
I accept there is lots of racism in Pakistan. Pakhtuns rarely will marry outsiders be they Punjabi or Sindhi. Each group uses all sort of pejorative terms for others but this is no differant in India where Punjabi Indians look down on the dark, small Biharis or Dravidian indians of the south. And then the whoile lot look down at disgust to the 20% of Dalit India - the term untouchable needs no further explaination.

And we all know that the tiny 0.01% of India that goes as Brahmins practice such exclusivity that it would blush even the most ardent Nazi. This social order sums the status quo and practice for millenias in India and endemic to Hinduism.

View attachment 35497

Punjabis hating Biharis; caste system, "untouchables" , Vedic invaders, Aboriginals. What's the next ploy to derail the thread with some more whataboutery?

Zapper

Experienced member
India Correspondent
Reactions
10 828
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
India
It's literally the adjoining state. How different could it possibly be?
The same difference between Indian Punjabis or Haryanvis vs Biharis...not to mention, Sindh has a sizable population who immigrated from UP & Bihar

Zapper

Experienced member
India Correspondent
Reactions
10 828
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
India
And we all know that the tiny 0.01% of India that goes as Brahmins practice such exclusivity that it would blush even the most ardent Nazi. This social order sums the status quo and practice for millenias in India and endemic to Hinduism.

View attachment 35497
Try sticking to the topic on hand instead of derailing...if you wanna talk about Indian caste system, open a separate thread and we Indians will be more than happy to contribute

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,063
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
I know cousin marriages are not like incest.

Honestly from mums side we have 3 girl cousins. Never occur to me marry them because my cousins were like my sisters.

Good thing us Turks constantly married and slept with foreign women for centuries which meant the need for cousin marriages died off. Rural areas are different due to wealth and land so the money stays in the family.

If it was me I would ban cousin marriages.

Dont be lazy marry somebody who is not related to you diversify your gene pool rather condeming your future offspring into becoming inbred.

Barry

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
Know a few Sikh lads with family that are severely mentally and/physically unsound due to their parents sharing the same grandparents. A few have told me that their families won't marry outside of their home villages in India, even when they're born and live in the uk. Its pretty tragic to see people suffer like this, and sickening to see people throw it around for racial and prejudiced clout.

crixus

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
India
Know a few Sikh lads with family that are severely mentally and/physically unsound due to their parents sharing the same grandparents. A few have told me that their families won't marry outside of their home villages in India, even when they're born and live in the uk. Its pretty tragic to see people suffer like this, and sickening to see people throw it around for racial and prejudiced clout.
Which caste of Sikhs and do you know the village names ?
I can bet for Jatt Sikhs , they follow the same gotra , not sure about other castes . Even after knowing the consequencies of inbreeding still these sikhs are doing it , then they are literally the dumbest people walking around

Last edited:

Barry

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
Which caste of Sikhs and do you know the village names ?
I can bet for Jatt Sikhs , they follow the same gotra , not sure about other castes . Even after knowing the consequencies of inbreeding still these sikhs are doing it , then they are literally the dumbest people walking around

No idea mate. I only know about the village stuff because that's what they've told me. I'm not sure if that's a common thing or just a reality of where their families came from. I'd wager they're Jatt as they're supposed to be the majority of those who identify with the caste system here.

crixus

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
India
No idea mate. I only know about the village stuff because that's what they've told me. I'm not sure if that's a common thing or just a reality of where their families came from. I'd wager they're Jatt as they're supposed to be the majority of those who identify with the caste system here.

Jatt Sikhs​

By far the largest caste is the Jatt Sikhs and this caste evolved from the farming and rural communities of India. Members of the Jatt Sikh caste have strictly made inter cousin marriage a taboo subject and actively discouraged it. This doesn’t mean it never happens in the Jatt Sikh community, it just means it’s incredibly rare with a few isolated cases.

It’s fair to assume overall inter cousin marriage in Sikhs is rare because a large proportion of Sikhs are from the Jatt caste and they have made it taboo and enforced customs to make it extremely difficult for inter cousin marriage to occur.

Jatt Sikhs in India have strong customs to ensure marriages:

• must not be between members of the same family (including extended families); and
  • must also be arranged between families from different villages.
This practice was to ensure that no marriage can take place between two related people and two families of the same village. This type of custom is known as exogamy and has been taken by Jatt Sikhs from India across the world, where Jatt Sikhs have emigrated from their rural lands in India.

Sikhs in the UK, Canada, USA and other jurisdictions outside of India, have followed this continued custom of marrying their daughters and sons to non-related partners and ensuring prospective son and daughter-in-laws are from families who originate from different villages in India.

Zapper

Experienced member
India Correspondent
Reactions
10 828
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
India
That's interesting to know since most Sikhs I know are quite diversified when it comes to the region they marry their partners. Infact, they're one of the few communities in welcoming inter-religious marriages and I've seen a decent number of Hindu-Sikh marriages as well

You don't see that often in muslims and Indian christians...even Jains who're culturally similar to Hindus aren't open to marrying outside their religion

Barry

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus

Jatt Sikhs​

By far the largest caste is the Jatt Sikhs and this caste evolved from the farming and rural communities of India. Members of the Jatt Sikh caste have strictly made inter cousin marriage a taboo subject and actively discouraged it. This doesn’t mean it never happens in the Jatt Sikh community, it just means it’s incredibly rare with a few isolated cases.

It’s fair to assume overall inter cousin marriage in Sikhs is rare because a large proportion of Sikhs are from the Jatt caste and they have made it taboo and enforced customs to make it extremely difficult for inter cousin marriage to occur.

Jatt Sikhs in India have strong customs to ensure marriages:

• must not be between members of the same family (including extended families); and
  • must also be arranged between families from different villages.
This practice was to ensure that no marriage can take place between two related people and two families of the same village. This type of custom is known as exogamy and has been taken by Jatt Sikhs from India across the world, where Jatt Sikhs have emigrated from their rural lands in India.

Sikhs in the UK, Canada, USA and other jurisdictions outside of India, have followed this continued custom of marrying their daughters and sons to non-related partners and ensuring prospective son and daughter-in-laws are from families who originate from different villages in India.

That's interesting to know since most Sikhs I know are quite diversified when it comes to the region they marry their partners. Infact, they're one of the few communities in welcoming inter-religious marriages and I've seen a decent number of Hindu-Sikh marriages as well

You don't see that often in muslims and Indian christians...even Jains who're culturally similar to Hindus aren't open to marrying outside their religion

Appreciate the follow ups, nice one lads.

Top Bottom