Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,782
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey

On the eve of the 57th anniversary of Bloody Christmas, when Greek EOKA Fighters launched a tirade of violence against the Turkish Cypriot community, the BTCA are proud to launch this English adaptation of the story of Nevcihan Oluşum, the woman at the centre of Don McCullin’s awarding winning World Press Photo 1964. Taken just twelve weeks after the surge in violence against Turks in Cyprus. Hear her story here for the first time in English. May all our Martyrs and Nevcihan Oluşum Rest in peace.

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus

This one is also nice, more neutral than majority. Finally people are listening both sides

Barry

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus

This one is also nice, more neutral than majority. Finally people are listening both sides

glad he spoke to a TC, even if it was really minor. Most of these documentaries always fail to give a voice to the suffering of the Turkish Cypriots and end up being disgustingly complicit in the continued silencing of their tragedy.

Anastasius

Contributor
Azerbaijan Moderator
Reactions
3 2,935
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
glad he spoke to a TC, even if it was really minor. Most of these documentaries always fail to give a voice to the suffering of the Turkish Cypriots and end up being disgustingly complicit in the continued silencing of their tragedy.
Documentary was still fairly lopsided. They may point out one aspect of Turkish Cypriot suffering but then drown it in five times as much hand-wringing about Greek Cypriots. I am not even gonna mention the comments, which barely have any sympathy for TCs.

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
Documentary was still fairly lopsided. They may point out one aspect of Turkish Cypriot suffering but then drown it in five times as much hand-wringing about Greek Cypriots. I am not even gonna mention the comments, which barely have any sympathy for TCs.

Inconvenient reality is that whole world is ignoring events before 1974 and following Greek narrative as WE didn't/can't explain/tell our side of the story to the world properly. They were whining about being invaded and our idiot politicians (or the guys who are ignoring international agreements and community, and trying OR imagining to annexation of Northern Cyprus) are not explaining and trying to get away with what we have acquired.

We were the rightful side and turned the whole world against us because of some idiots, it was even worse before. Whole world was seeing the issue from pure Greek eyes, this is slightly changing which started after we said yes to Annan Plan.

IT is still not completely balanced and not enough sympathy yet but still better than before.. I appreciate the change, now at least they are trying to understand, including Greek side's youth. But also our side is changing and Turkey is changing, those annex kidos are giving wrong impression to the whole world again. We still have legal problems regarding properties of Greeks which show us as bad guys!, we could have used our sufferings as leverage / compensation tool but we didn't, we just stay silent and grab properties, that is the core problem.

Anastasius

Contributor
Azerbaijan Moderator
Reactions
3 2,935
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
Inconvenient reality is that whole world is ignoring events before 1974 and following Greek narrative as WE didn't/can't explain/tell our side of the story to the world properly. They were whining about being invaded and our idiot politicians (or the guys who are ignoring international agreements and community, and trying OR imagining to annexation of Northern Cyprus) are not explaining and trying to get away with what we have acquired.

We were the rightful side and turned the whole world against us because of some idiots, it was even worse before. Whole world was seeing the issue from pure Greek eyes, this is slightly changing which started after we said yes to Annan Plan.

IT is still not completely balanced and not enough sympathy yet but still better than before.. I appreciate the change, now at least they are trying to understand, including Greek side's youth. But also our side is changing and Turkey is changing, those annex kidos are giving wrong impression to the whole world again. We still have legal problems regarding properties of Greeks which show us as bad guys!, we could have used our sufferings as leverage / compensation tool but we didn't, we just stay silent and grab properties, that is the core problem.
I always wondered what the whole story was. I've heard Greek Cypriots claiming that while EOKA B were violent extremists, that EOKA wasn't too bad and only wanted freedom from the British occupation and in fact only targeted Turkish Cypriot law enforcement that were collaborating with the British. Also a bunch of stuff about TMT (not sure if I got the acronym correctly) targeting Greeks first and doing false flags against Turkish Cypriots to stir up blame. Also that Greek Cypriots voted majority against unification with Greece and wanted an independent Cyprus. That's one side of the story but I wanted to hear from Turkish Cypriots, which I now have a chance with you here. :)

The opposition to the Annan Plan makes somewhat less sense to me because the main Greek Cypriot objection seems to be that a) Turkish settlers post-1974 will stay (but, uh, doesn't Cyprus have immigrants from Greece too?) and b) Turkish Cypriots will get an equal vote to the Greek majority instead of it being all democratic where majority rules apply, which would inevitably mean Greek Cypriot domination of politics and, well, I figured it was kinda obvious why Turkish Cypriots don't want that given the uneasy history between the two sides. Also, opposition to Turkey AND Greece as guarantor states that would protect the rights of each minority. I can sorta see why they wouldn't like it but it also seems like sticking your head in the sand regarding the last 60 or so years.

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
I always wondered what the whole story was. I've heard Greek Cypriots claiming that while EOKA B were violent extremists, that EOKA wasn't too bad and only wanted freedom from the British occupation and in fact only targeted Turkish Cypriot law enforcement that were collaborating with the British. Also a bunch of stuff about TMT (not sure if I got the acronym correctly) targeting Greeks first and doing false flags against Turkish Cypriots to stir up blame. Also that Greek Cypriots voted majority against unification with Greece and wanted an independent Cyprus. That's one side of the story but I wanted to hear from Turkish Cypriots, which I now have a chance with you here. :)

The opposition to the Annan Plan makes somewhat less sense to me because the main Greek Cypriot objection seems to be that a) Turkish settlers post-1974 will stay (but, uh, doesn't Cyprus have immigrants from Greece too?) and b) Turkish Cypriots will get an equal vote to the Greek majority instead of it being all democratic where majority rules apply, which would inevitably mean Greek Cypriot domination of politics and, well, I figured it was kinda obvious why Turkish Cypriots don't want that given the uneasy history between the two sides. Also, opposition to Turkey AND Greece as guarantor states that would protect the rights of each minority. I can sorta see why they wouldn't like it but it also seems like sticking your head in the sand regarding the last 60 or so years.

Well after Brits acquired the island in 1878, Turkish Cypriot population started to decline, and after WW1 this has increased. During 1960s the ratio was nearly 1 to 4 but we were controlling one third of the republic's offices and has equal veto right to every law which was main objection of Greeks at that time.

EOKA or EOKA-B they are just same shit. It started as a rebellion against Britain back in 1930s and yes they were targeting only Brits as a starting point, however UK punished both sides after first rebellion. After 1930s UK started to recruit Turkish Cypriots as auxiliary security force and successfully deteriorate relations between two sides, however knowing how Greece became independent or what events happened in Crete and the independence war of Turkey (which has supported by Turkish Cypriots strongly) my people knew that a time would come that we will face similar things so even before TMT, Turks here were organized and militarised. Even if the population ratio was 1 to 4, strength was equal. Some TMT guys I talked also said that we had more guns and better trained before 1960/63. Greek Church has always had great influence over GCs, they have always been more religious while Turkish Cypriots instantly applied Ataturk reforms and never been so religious. And Greek Church has always dreamed of Enosis which is becoming part of Greece ( even their leader was a bishop as you know). So eventually they will point their guns to us. They didn't wanted to be an independent state, wanted to become part of Greece (in fact throughout history Cyprus always had autonomy or independence and never been a part of Greece) But today, GCs don't like Greece so much and they don't consider becoming a part of it either but still want whole island to be under their control.

Returning to false flags and first blood, I am afraid Turks killed Greeks first before everything has started with British false flag to Turks. Many years before Republic has founded Turks deceived by Brits attacked Greek farmers which started events after it and revenges. And bombing of statues or etc, there are many conflicting reports and ideas, hard to understand what is reality. Both sides were not pure innocent before 1960 but Turks suffered much more between 1963 -1974, literally living in Ghettos without proper supplies and under harsh embargoes.. Even getting pipes was forbidden as they were making guns. It was just like the movie the pianist, and many mass murders massacres against my people. There were two TMT guys missing for 55 years (but just civilians) they were just found 3 years ago!.. Greeks buried them with their Car, alive, back in 1963. UN documented all these things, thanks to UN soldiers many Cypriots were also saved as well because some of them were helping us secretly or blocking Greek murderers. What Syrians, Yemenis faced today is similar to my family's childhood memories.

In 1974 we got some revenge may be that's why we don't have grudge like them. My people also never been racist like them but that does not mean you will sit and wait them to kill you. Well armed and fought well for 11 years until cavalry came.

Regarding immigrants, back in 2003 our population was 220k theirs was 700k something and they never had many immigrants as they are already overpopulated. 90% of their population is Greek Cypriot and rest is some foreigners. Back in 2003, in Annan plan, They accepted 50k Turkish mainland immigrants which was nearly all at the time. Today our population is around 400k and mainland immigrants rose from 50 to 150-200k. I am repeating again, those 50k accepted as new republic's citizens by them! on the table but rejected in referandum, and today TRNC is very different, they lost a big opportunity imo. They don't want guarantees because of 1974, and we want because of the same reason. But tell me, if there is no guarantee and they attack us.. do Turkey need any permission to intervene? I don't think so. In all possible solutions, it will be two region (splitted) any future war mean direct separation. And back in 1960s, unfortunately Turkey and our guys were not so upset about conflict, they wanted to turn it to opportunity for separation. Nobody wanted that republic but oddly it still exists.

We had veto rights back in 1960 for a good reason! after they forced TCs to ghettos and UN came to island, they got access to full control and changed constitution and removed TCs rights. So in any federation or in any previous draft agreements we want that political equality. It is a major reason that they don't want a federation because They are already 100% in charge of their recognized country, why would they want to share? These peace talks are just a clown show. They don't want to live with us, they are just dreaming to get control of more land. Everyone knows there is no turning back, it has been 50 years and they are skyscrapers towers over Greek properties.

Akritas

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
At 1956, a year later EOKA revived its attempts to achieve the union of Cyprus with Greece. Turkish Cypriots were recruited into the police by the British forces to fight against Greek Cypriots, but EOKA initially did not want to open up a second front against Turkish Cypriots.
However, in January 1957, EOKA forces began targeting and killing Turkish Cypriot police deliberately to provoke Turkish Cypriot riots in Nicosia, which diverted the British army's attention away from their positions in the mountains. In the riots, at least one Greek Cypriot was killed and this was presented by the Greek Cypriot leadership as an act of Turkish aggression.
The response of the Turkish Cyprion side was the foundation of the so called "Turkish Resistance Organisation (TMT, Türk Mukavemet Teşkilatı) " that was formed initially as a local initiative to prevent the union with Greece, which was seen by the Turkish Cypriots as an existential threat due to the exodus of Cretan Turks from Crete once the union with Greece was achieved. It was later supported and organised directly by the Turkish government, and the TMT declared war on the Greek Cypriot rebels as well.
On 12 June 1958, eight Greek Cypriot men from Kondemenos village, who were arrested by the British police as part of an armed group suspected of preparing an attack against the Turkish Cypriot quarter of Skylloura, were killed by the TMT near the Turkish Cypriot populated village of Gönyeli, after being dropped off there by the British authorities.
TMT also blew up the offices of the Turkish press office in Nicosia to falsely put the blame onto the Greek Cypriots. It also began a string of assassinations of prominent Turkish Cypriot supporters of independence.
The following year, after the conclusion of the independence agreements on Cyprus, the Turkish Navy sent a ship to Cyprus fully loaded with arms for the TMT. The ship was stopped and the crew were caught red-handed in the infamous "Deniz" incident.

Timuçin

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Mongolia
Just a remark: After the September 1955 Constantinople Pogrom, EOKA started its activity against Turkish Cypriots.

"If this course of action is taken, you should be informed of and also prepared regarding the possible consequences" We all know what you did to Turks in the Island "We wuz victimz we not kill turki turki died all of it own" stop playing this card

Anastasius

Contributor
Azerbaijan Moderator
Reactions
3 2,935
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
Worth noting that Adnan Menderes was hanged for encouraging the pogroms and misleading the populace.

Akritas

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
Menderes is one that ignited the Cyprus conflict, like in 1956 when Nithat Erim submitted a report to him and since that day the strategy never wavered.
The Erim report clearly states that the only solution for Cyprus consists of partition under Turkish control and mentions population exchange and settlement by mainland Turks.
In 1957 Dr. Kutsiuk (the leader of Turkish Cypriots), proposed to Menderes the division of the island. That proposal is the exact Turkish line of today or 1974 invasion( with the exception of the enclosed Famagusta).
So, the leaders of the Tukish Cypriots wanted the division of the Cyprus.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,068
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Menderes is one that ignited the Cyprus conflict, like in 1956 when Nithat Erim submitted a report to him and since that day the strategy never wavered.
The Erim report clearly states that the only solution for Cyprus consists of partition under Turkish control and mentions population exchange and settlement by mainland Turks.
In 1957 Dr. Kutsiuk (the leader of Turkish Cypriots), proposed to Menderes the division of the island. That proposal is the exact Turkish line of today or 1974 invasion( with the exception of the enclosed Famagusta).
So, the leaders of the Tukish Cypriots wanted the division of the Cyprus.

Lol what a bunch of bs when the Greek Cypriots wanted Enosis.

Barry

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
It's alright lads, Akritarse is here to let you know it was the victim's fault they went through an attempted ethnic cleanse. What a human being.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,068
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
It's alright lads, Akritarse is here to let you know it was the victim's fault they went through an attempted ethnic cleanse. What a human being.

Greeks and Armenians always do this.

Its never their fault they will never take ownership for anything will only play the victim card.

Thats why i say to every Turk dont believe in their lies. Their whole tactics is about beating you up with the bat of guilt tripping.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom