Contributor
USA Correspondent
Reactions
12 1,512
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
I‘m biased as a Korean: Never trust the sneaky Japanese. Their MIC is absorbing and accumulating drone technology and tactical knowledge (HW, SW, doctrine etc.) from US and Israeli sources. Now from Turkey as well.

Their endgame is to build up a serious indigenous drone ecosystem: they have all industrial and technical capabilities at hand, also enough funding from their increased defense budget.
I can understand your “bias” against them but what I really wonder is how come Japan, the top industrial country with the technological innovation list stretching miles long would wanna do shopping around for any UAV platform instead of developing locally.
Budgetary concerns? The high price per unit? Or maybe just some political concerns? Perhaps.
But still can’t figure out any solid reason for my life why Japan not delving into her own UAV and its ecosystem development program and have been pondering on this issue since the rumors pointed out Japan as a potential Bayraktar user a while ago.

Last edited:

uçuyorum

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,191
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I can understand your “bias” toward them but what I really wonder is how come Japan, the top industrial country with the technological innovation list stretching miles long would wanna do shopping around for any UAV platform instead of developing locally.
Budgetary concerns? The high price per unit? Or maybe just some political concerns? Perhaps.
But still can’t figure out any solid reason for my life why Japan not delving into her own UAV and its ecosystem development program and have been pondering on this issue since the rumors pointed out Japan as a potential Bayraktar user a while ago.
Why would a rich country with access to purchase such systems with ease feel the urgency to develop its own?

Ripley

Contributor
USA Correspondent
Reactions
12 1,512
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
Why would a rich country with access to purchase such systems with ease feel the urgency to develop its own?
When that rich country happens to be Japan, the top technology inventor on many industrial fields you just wonder why, regardless any urgency.
I was not being cynical here btw, just wondering. That’s all ;)

urban mine

Committed member
Reactions
10 419
Nation of residence
South Korea
Nation of origin
South Korea
As far as I know, Japan has never built a TB2 class drone. (I think they have done a lot of research and experiments.) Only recently have they imported the American MQ-9B and used it in the JCG. In particular, the JGSDF has only been known to use small UAS.
170601-126-Drone.png
453b44ff82d6ce8ba58844c6f12bd6a5.jpg
54a8ad298465ec4b506099af90839a9549ed322e_xlarge.jpg

It is possible that the JGSDF is trying to create a basic doctrine for UCAVs by purchasing small quantities for experiments. (although I can't find any reports of armament purchases). Being an island nation, the military is only interested in defending the mainland, so maybe that's why they felt something like the MQ-9B was too expensive and unnecessary?

It is also worth noting the productivity of the TB2, which can be used as a reference for future development of indigenous UAVs. DThis is because time is of the essence due to high tensions in the East China Sea. But sooner or later, there will be news, including questions from the Japanese parliament about why they bought it.

Last edited:

Ripley

Contributor
USA Correspondent
Reactions
12 1,512
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
As far as I know, Japan has never built a TB2 class drone. (I think they have done a lot of research and experiments.) Only recently have they imported the American MQ-9B and used it in the JCG. In particular, the JGSDF has only been known to use small UAS.
View attachment 55991 View attachment 55992 View attachment 55993
It is possible that the JGSDF is trying to create a basic doctrine for UCAVs by purchasing small quantities for experiments. (although I can't find any reports of armament purchases). Being an island nation, the military is only interested in defending the mainland, so maybe that's why they felt something like the MQ-9B was too expensive and unnecessary?

It is also worth noting the productivity of the TB2, which can be used as a reference for future development of indigenous UAVs. DThis is because time is of the essence due to high tensions in the East China Sea. But sooner or later, there will be news, including questions from the Japanese parliament about why they bought it.
“Being an island nation, the military is only interested in defending the mainland, so maybe that's why they felt something like the MQ-9B was too expensive and unnecessary?”

This is the most plausible explanation I could come up with, too.

One should consider the fact that their constitution restricts their armed forces to defensive duties only. So, acquiring armed UAV platforms with aggressive missions in mind, let alone starting their own UAV program, might cause some headaches among the national political machinery.

Avanti

Reactions
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Just because Turkey has quality drones now doesn't mean anyone can do it. I have also seen people say now that Turkey develops a 5th gen fighter many "non major power" countries will follow.

No, it takes years of development even for a country like Japan they can't just pull a UCAV out of their hat if they want to.

Ripley

Contributor
USA Correspondent
Reactions
12 1,512
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
Just because Turkey has quality drones now doesn't mean anyone can do it. I have also seen people say now that Turkey develops a 5th gen fighter many "non major power" countries will follow.

No, it takes years of development even for a country like Japan they can't just pull a UCAV out of their hat if they want to.
Nowhere I said that if Turkey can do it why Japan does not do it.
I merely asked a question why Japan, of all the nations, does not have an UAV program.
And I asked it in a curious tone, because I’m curious. Nothing else.

Avanti

Reactions
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Nowhere I said that if Turkey can do it why Japan does not do it.
I merely asked a question why Japan, of all the nations, does not have an UAV program.
And I asked it in a curious tone, because I’m curious. Nothing else.
I just see alot of people with this mindset i didn't mean you bro

Chocopie

Contributor
South Korea Correspondent
Reactions
33 1,924
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
I can understand your “bias” against them but what I really wonder is how come Japan, the top industrial country with the technological innovation list stretching miles long would wanna do shopping around for any UAV platform instead of developing locally.
There‘s a fundamental shift of Japan‘s military policy from defensive to an offensive posture. Because of China‘s rise (Taiwan conflict), North Korea‘s missile launches and Russia‘s invasion of Ukraine.

„Helicopter destroyers“ Izumo and Kaga are converted to aircraft carriers with F-35B. Basing of long-range cruise missiles on islands near Taiwan, development programs for long range stealth, supersonic and hypersonic missiles from land, air, ship and sub. Next generation Japanese subs might have VLS like Korean KSS-III SSB.

Defense budget increase from 1% to 2% of GDP until 2027 (from $50 to $100 billion).
JSDF viewed drones predominantly as reconnaissance assets. With Tempest 6th gen fighter program and MUM drones as loyal wingman, the use of loitering Kamikaze drones and UCAV in Ukraine has changed the mind of Japanese defense strategists. Japanese military is very conservative and not prone to doctrine changes, similar to ROK army generals.

As I predicted, they‘ll come up with a full fledged domestic drone program in the near future. True, other countries have a headstart (US, Israel, China, Turkey) but everybody knows what Japanese are capable of if they set a plan and target.

Last edited:

Ripley

Contributor
USA Correspondent
Reactions
12 1,512
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
There‘s a fundamental shift of Japan‘s military policy from defensive to an offensive posture. Because of China‘s rise (Taiwan conflict), North Korea‘s missile launches and Russia‘s invasion of Ukraine.

„Helicopter destroyers“ Izumo and Kaga are converted to aircraft carriers with F-35B. Basing of long-range cruise missiles on islands near Taiwan, development programs for long range stealth, supersonic and hypersonic missiles from land, air, ship and sub. Next generation Japanese subs might have VLS like Korean KSS-III SSB.

Defense budget increase from 1% to 2% of GDP until 2027 (from $50 to $100 billion).
JSDF viewed drones predominantly as reconnaissance assets. With Tempest 6th gen fighter program and MUM drones as loyal wingman, the use of loitering Kamikaze drones and UCAV in Ukraine has changed the mind of Japanese defense strategists. Japanese military is very conservative and not prone to doctrine changes, similar to ROK army generals.

As I predicted, they‘ll come up with a full fledged domestic drone program in the near future. True, other countries have a headstart (US, Israel, China, Turkey) but everybody knows what Japanese are capable of if they set a plan and target.
True.
And like you said the shift in their military capacity from a limited defensive stance toward an intensified conflict participant is clear as day.

This was what boggling my mind for quite a while.
It‘s not hard to admire, envy and even be jealous of Japanese achievements of the last six decades but it’s also not easy to comprehend how can such an achiever hasn’t gotten its mind into the game yet.
Now I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one pondering on this curious case.
And yes, I’d really like to see the end results if and when ”they set a plan and target” ;)

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,050
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey

I still believe SK is more superior as the Japanese are more handicapped.

SK have armed forces while Japan has a Self Defence Force.

I_Love_F16

Contributor
France Correspondent
Reactions
10 1,521
Nation of residence
France
Nation of origin
France

baklava

Reactions
Nation of residence