Casual Discussion Football: Juan Roman Riquelme: on & off the pitch

guest_07

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Malaysia
Nation of origin
Malaysia
Assalamu'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh to Muslims.
Good day to Others.

Top 10 Riquelme's Goals
in CA Boca Juniors's Jersey

No.10
One touch goal
vs Zamora FC (Venezuela)
in 2012 Copa Libertadores
Group Stage (home)

No.9
One touch goal
vs CA Velez Sarsfield (Argentina)
in 2007 Copa Libertadores
Round of 16 (1st leg) (home)

No.8
Solo goal
vs C Libertad (Paraguay)
Quarterfinal (2nd leg) (away)

No.7
Direct corner kick goal
Round of 16 (2nd leg) (away)

No.6
Free kick goal
vs CA River Plate (Argentina)
in 2014 Argentina League
(home)

No.5
Dribble goal
vs C Union Espanola (Chile)
in 2012 Copa Libertadores

No.4
Long range goal
in 2009 Argentina League
(home)

No.3
Solo goal
vs CA Union de Santa Fe (Argentina)
in 2002 Argentina League
(home)

No.2
At edge of penalty box goal
vs Gremio (Brazil)
Final (2nd leg) (away)

No.1
Long range goal
vs SC Corinthians (Brazil)
in 2013 Copa Libertadores

guest_07

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Malaysia
Nation of origin
Malaysia
Good day to Others.

Riquelme's assist stat
compare to other famous midfield

1.jpg

Source:
1.jpg

https://www.wikizero.com/es/Zinedine_Zidane

1.jpg

https://www.wikizero.com/es/Ronaldinho

1.jpg

https://www.wikizero.com/es/David_Beckham

1.jpg

https://www.wikizero.com/es/Juan_Roman_Riquelme

1.jpg

https://www.wikizero.com/es/Luís_Figo

Good day to Others.

The revised version:

01-Top5-Most-Efficient-Assister-Midfield-220530.jpg

Last edited:

Dalit

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Netherlands
Good day to Others.

Introduction:
Juan Roman Riquelme's weakness:
1) a slow player;
2) always walk
(not running like other footballers);
3) not liked a coach
who restricts his freedom on the field,
further causing him to be sidelined
during the selection of the main squad.

His strength:
1) expert in dominated the midfield;
2) expert in shielding the ball
(despite mostly walking than running);
3) expert in short & long pass;
4) expert in nutmeg skill;
5) expert in free kick;
6) expert in penalty kick;
7) expert in corner kick
(even scored more than 2 goals
from direct corner kicks).

Riquelme is my fav player of all time. Very underrated. A maestro on the midfield.

Mehmed Ali

Contributor
Reactions
1 905
Nation of residence
England(UK)
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
I see this tred for the first time, Riquelme is one of my favourite players of all time. I don't think that we will see his like again .

guest_07

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Malaysia
Nation of origin
Malaysia
I see this tred for the first time, Riquelme is one of my favourite players of all time. I don't think that we will see his like again .

Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim.
Assalamu'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh, my brother.

I agree. Right now, its hard to find
other playmaker as calibre as him.

With Riquelme,
you can put him as a playmaker with 10 lesser known players
who are above average in 1 team.
Most likely, this team will give a very, very difficult time to the best team in the world.
That is one of the unique thing about him.

Mehmed Ali

Contributor
Reactions
1 905
Nation of residence
England(UK)
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Riquelme started as centar half in Argentinos Juniors and as 5, 5 was in classic game pretty creative position. I remember Maradona said that after 10 it would be his favourite position to play. Unfortunately after 2002 ( if I remember correctly) Riquelme due to persistent injury, dribbled less and slowed even more. His nick name was El Torrero which I think is really befitting. In todays schematic, fast, organized game he would have a hard time. To tell you the truth his style was more for 70s 80s and maybe early 90s. H3 played the game like no one else and no one will, that time is Unfortunately gone. I loved him in Boca, Serna a little tractor would bring the ball from defence and then he would have his lieutenants on the wings Barros- Esceloto and Chelo Delgado and ofcourse the one and only Martin Palermo. In every game Boca would start defending till they scored and then they would pile the pressure. What a matches were vs River , Aimar, Saviola , Orleans,Angel,Salas, Berizzo. San Lorenzo was great matches too.
Al those were the times my friend. I would rather watch half an hour of those matches then entire Champions League. It is kind of similar to basketball ball. In NBA people score a lot because they can palm the ball( illegal) make extra steps ( illegal) , fouls given for breathing on the neck and ofcourse no defence, so every schmuck can score 3.
We Selam
PS Those teams of Argentina between 1998- 2008 were one of the greatest teams in history yet they always managed to defeat themselves. Ayala,Samuel, Sorin, Zanetti, Cambiasso, Lucho Gonzales, Aimar, Crespo, Saviola, Tevez etc etc.

Last edited:

guest_07

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Malaysia
Nation of origin
Malaysia
Riquelme started as centar half in Argentinos Juniors and as 5, 5 was in classic game pretty creative position. I remember Maradona said that after 10 it would be his favourite position to play. Unfortunately after 2002 ( if I remember correctly) Riquelme due to persistent injury, dribbled less and slowed even more. His nick name was El Torrero which I think is really befitting. In todays schematic, fast, organized game he would have a hard time. To tell you the truth his style was more for 70s 80s and maybe early 90s. H3 played the game like no one else and no one will, that time is Unfortunately gone. I loved him in Boca, Serna a little tractor would bring the ball from defence and then he would have his lieutenants on the wings Barros- Esceloto and Chelo Delgado and ofcourse the one and only Martin Palermo. In every game Boca would start defending till they scored and then they would pile the pressure. What a matches were vs River , Asmara, Saville, Orleans,Angel,Salas, Berizzo. San Lorenzo was great matches too.
Al those were the times my friend. I would rather watch half an hour of those matches then entire Champions League. It is kind of similar to basketball ball. In NBA people score a lot because they can palm the ball( illegal) make extra steps ( illegal) , fouls given for breathing on the neck and ofcourse no defence, so every schmuck can score 3.
We Selam

You know a lot about Riquelme.

Talking about Argentina squad,
I feel 2006 Argentina lead by Riquelme, is the best,
in term of game play & efficiency.
Sadly, Pekerman ruined this team
by subbed out Riquelme,
when Argentina had a lead, 1-0,
vs the host (Germany) in Quarterfinal.
In this world cup, Riquelme was the top assister.

Mehmed Ali

Contributor
Reactions
1 905
Nation of residence
England(UK)
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
One good parallel to Riquelme was his colleague from Boca Hugo Ibarra. He was right back but with better dribbling then majority of the attackers. He went for a season I believe to Zaragoza then he returned to Boca. He was even more classical player then Riquelme, he wouldn't make it even by the last 80s in Europe. Defending for him was an option which he had done when he remembered that he was a defender which was rarely. Brother those days are gone. Since Euro I haven't watched a single game fully. It sport and fun no more. Qatar will be the lad thing InshaAllah for me to watch and after that no more.

guest_07

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Malaysia
Nation of origin
Malaysia
One good parallel to Riquelme was his colleague from Boca Hugo Ibarra. He was right back but with better dribbling then majority of the attackers. He went for a season I believe to Zaragoza then he returned to Boca. He was even more classical player then Riquelme, he wouldn't make it even by the last 80s in Europe. Defending for him was an option which he had done when he remembered that he was a defender which was rarely. Brother those days are gone. Since Euro I haven't watched a single game fully. It sport and fun no more. Qatar will be the lad thing InshaAllah for me to watch and after that no more.

Since Riquelme retired,
I no longer excited to watch football
in live telecast.
I rather watch highlights in youtube. 😄

Mehmed Ali

Contributor
Reactions
1 905
Nation of residence
England(UK)
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
You know a lot about Riquelme.

Talking about Argentina squad,
I feel 2006 Argentina lead by Riquelme, is the best,
in term of game play & efficiency.
Sadly, Pekerman ruined this team
by subbed out Riquelme,
when Argentina had a lead, 1-0,
vs the host (Germany) in Quarterfinal.
In this world cup, Riquelme was the top assister.
That was a such strange game, almost like Argentina threw it away like they gave to to very mediocre team . Messi was on the bench, Samuel and Zanetti weren't even in the team. Pekerman never had an ability to manage team during the game. I think that 2008 they under Coco Basile reached peak. In ideal world, if Mundial was held 2008 and Argentina with a normal coach , imagine the clash Spain vs Argentina? Oh my God.
I honestly think that between 2008 to 2012 were the last years of the beautiful game, the last years of the game as real game. Argentina with a dribbling and pass( most difficult style), Spain tiki taka, Inter defence and power, Borussia gegenpresse, Bayern with vertical pass and patience. After that it became a science, geometry etc. I appreciate it but I don't like it.

Mehmed Ali

Contributor
Reactions
1 905
Nation of residence
England(UK)
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Since Riquelme retired,
I no longer excited to watch football
in live telecast.
I rather watch highlights in youtube. 😄
Messi though soulless was worth watching, I think that he is the greatest player of all time, it pains me to say probably better then Maradona.

guest_07

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Malaysia
Nation of origin
Malaysia
Messi though soulless was worth watching, I think that he is the greatest player of all time, it pains me to say probably better then Maradona.

The best time to pair
between Messi & Riquelme
was in 2010 World Cup.
2nd best, probably 2014
(Riquelme last chance).
But as usual, both Argentina coaches (2010 & 2014) ruined it.
Argentina had a bad luck,
by having a bad coach
in term of selection making.

Last edited:

Mehmed Ali

Contributor
Reactions
1 905
Nation of residence
England(UK)
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
2010 Maradona was the coach. He took Ariel Garce to the world cup only because Maradona saw him in his dream lifting World Cup trophy, hahaha . In the match vs Germany Macherano was alone in the midfield vs 4 Germans?! Sabella 2014 wasn't too bad , Argentina was better then Germany in that match . Di Maria was injured (truly great player) , mistake he did was replacing Lavezzi. Argentine coaches aren't bad , it is just that they're strange people like Argentina in general. As one guy said " People who like football, like Brazil, people who love football love Argentine " . Very characterful people, Passarela ( genial player) doesn't call Redondo and Batistuta due to long hair . No coaches ever played Batistuta and Crespo together, they said too similar. Bielsa and all his madness. Etc Only Bilardo was pragmatic and cynical but even he was a bit crazy. Argentine led by Messi and Di Maria and Portugal led by Ronaldo are the only reason why I will watch Qatar. After that good bye Messi, Ronaldo and Di Maria and for me football. After 45 years of watching there is nothing for me to see anymore
Yes , you spotted it right, the selection of right players was always the worst problem of Argentina. Coaches were good mostly but they have always had their strange ideas . Scalini instead Zanetti? Are you kidding me ? Replacing one of all time great players with a journeyman? Hahaha, morons. Burdisso instead of Samuel? Some village boy instead Norberto Alonso or Bochini and I forgot Caniggia wasn't called because a long hair

Last edited:

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom