Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
41 1,487
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Guys, sorry for not being "patriotic" enough but WTH is going on with Hürjet tests? Not to mention ANKA3...
When will we find out top altitude and speed of Hürjet? Why is it still flying subsonic like it's being piloted by an elderly?

It should be able to fly at Mach 2.1 using F404 engine. If it can't it is because engineers in TUSAS shat the bed big time and made Hürjet with too much DRAG!!!

Consider how aerodynamic F20 is and compare that with Hürjet.
View attachment 63596 Considering S shaped intakes and massive frontal profile and not to mention HEAVY body this would mean KAAN also will suffer from same bad design practices. Even Mach 1.8 despite 2 F110s seem unlikely to me. I hope I will be proven wrong.

"
The F-20A was powered by a single General Electric YF404-GE-100 engine. The F404 is a two-spool, axial-flow, low bypass turbofan with afterburner. It has a 3-stage fan section, 7-stage compressor and 2-stage (1 high- and 1 low-pressure stage) turbine. The the F404-GE-100 is rated at 17,000 pounds of thrust (75.62 kilonewtons) with afterburner. The engine has a maximum diameter of 2 feet, 10.8 inches (0.884 meters), is 13 feet, 2.8 inches (4.034 meters) long, and weighs 2,230 pounds (1,012 kilograms).

From a cold start, the prototype fighter could climb to 34,000 feet (10,363 meters) in 2½ minutes. It could accelerate from 0.3 mach to 0.9 Mach in 27 seconds. The F-20A had a maximum speed of Mach 2.1 at 36,000 feet (10,973 meters)—1,387 miles per hour (2,232 kilometers per hour). Its service ceiling was 55,000 feet (16,764 meters). The maximum range with external tanks was 1,715 miles (2,760 kilometers)."
We have to take into account what many forget and that is the ungodly amount of workload on TAI. Hürjet in its earlier flights had a problem with flutter it seemed, like when it retracted the landing gear and it had a visible gain of altitude which might mean the flight controls were not compensating for the change in center of gravity sufficiently, maybe (?). This seems negligible in this flight now, but obviously there will be problems and this is the first time they're testing and gathering data in this regard, and the point is that this not the only thing they're doing, not even close. They are just doing so many things at the same time that I'm amazed they haven't been overwhelmed into a blunder of some sorts. So hats off to them.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
112 14,724
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey

Interesting video where the Tusas chief engineer informs us that when Hurjet first flew they were also gladly surprised that the plane did not red flag any faults. Even the accompanying F16 pilot commented and questioned if this was truly the first flight of this plane. This is expediting the plane being ready for serial production. They are planning to start delivering 12 planes per year in 2027-28 timeline.

He also mentions that for the last 5 years, they have been working on the specifics of this plane being a light attack aircraft. To that effect they are envisaging the second seat pilot to be used as weapons controller of drones.

Also they have tried on simulators, the ski lift take off possibility; and the plane can take off from a ski lift like the one on TCG Anadolu with 4-5000lb ammo load. Of course they need to improve landing gear and include hook to the plane and arresting mechanisms to the craft it is landing. (I would add that it would also need to be navalised)

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,741
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey

Interesting video where the Tusas chief engineer informs us that when Hurjet first flew they were also gladly surprised that the plane did not red flag any faults. Even the accompanying F16 pilot commented and questioned if this was truly the first flight of this plane. This is expediting the plane being ready for serial production. They are planning to start delivering 12 planes per year in 2027-28 timeline.

He also mentions that for the last 5 years, they have been working on the specifics of this plane being a light attack aircraft. To that effect they are envisaging the second seat pilot to be used as weapons controller of drones.

Also they have tried on simulators, the ski lift take off possibility; and the plane can take off from a ski lift like the one on TCG Anadolu with 4-5000lb ammo load. Of course they need to improve landing gear and include hook to the plane and arresting mechanisms to the craft it is landing. (I would add that it would also need to be navalised)
I'm still not sure a naval Hürjet makes much sense, it feels like it would be an easy target not being a stealth jet and it's payload is too light but then again if Çakır can indeed be used against ships it might be more than enough.

However, I really like the "weapon controller for drones" idea. If KE and Anka-3 can fly autonomously around and more importantly ahead of the Hürjet (sort of like a follow the leader mode) with the controller looking at the information from the drones and assigning tasks/missions, it could be really interesting and effective.

Merzifonlu

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
24 2,053
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Our need for fighter flown by human pilots can be effectively solved with the "armed & drone commander" Hürjet. In that case, there may not even be a need for Kaan. Because the concept being considered is the 6th generation concept, even if Hürjet is the 4th generation.

After sufficient experience has been accumulated in this concept, "Hürjet-2" with a stealth body can be put into operation after 2030.

But of course, the Murad AESA radar needs to be put into mass production and a turbofan engine of at least the F404 class is required. It sounds familiar, reminding you of the Altay case, right? LOL

Last edited:

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,702
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I'm still not sure a naval Hürjet makes much sense, it feels like it would be an easy target not being a stealth jet and it's payload is too light but then again if Çakır can indeed be used against ships it might be more than enough.
I cannot agree with this. Unlike many conventional AJTs, the Hurjet is a platform with a high angle of attack and agile maneuvering capabilities. The +8/-3 g limitation is mostly used to define this class, but I believe that what is written on paper will not remain definite limits, considering that additional variant studies on this project have been going on since the very beginning. In other words, the technical specs will never be available in open sources until this jet is awarded an tender outside, but an ROT value that can compete with most of the 4th generation jets is certainly not an extraordinary expectation in near future.

In terms of top speed, it can reach supersonic speeds if required, and I don't know how many scenarios there are where a short-range fighter jet would need to exceed Mach 2. The design philosophy, the flexible(as we understood from senior managers of program) program model is very similar to the KAI/Lockheed T/TA/FA-50. We are already using the same engine and as the structural elements change and the avionics mature in the Fighter variant, the total lift capacity of the Hürjet will increase significantly, just like the FA-50. But in any case, the main difference between the aircraft and the 4th generation jets will be the lift power.

Maybe this jet will not be a platform for 2000 lbs bombs, but for 500lb or even smaller, SDB type ammunitions. In terms of air-to-air, already limit is the number of pylons. Carrier based aircraft generally cannot take off with full load, and they land almost empty, but this will be much more restrictive due to the thrust of the single F404. (However, it may have a lower approach speed than many fighter jets.)

Despite all the negative things, I believe that a Hurjet Naval would be an extraordinary step in the development of our defense industry and the development of our naval aviation. Even if it cannot go beyond just a Naval trainer aircraft, still it will be a great industrial and military step forward.

In addition to all this, there is also the case of the Air Force. Frankly, for the worst case scenario, I would rather have a fighter Hurjet with STOL capability than a JF-17. If can create a proper logistics system(like Sweden), can even land and take off this aircraft on highways. Hurjet is essentially a lite version of the KAAN program in terms of operator interface and software infrastructure, or has the infrastructure to be configured as such.

Last edited:

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,741
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Despite all the negative things, I believe that a Hurjet Naval would be an extraordinary step in the development of our defense industry and the development of our naval aviation. Even if it cannot go beyond just a Naval trainer aircraft, it will be a great industrial and military step forward.
I think you are right about this, we could learn a lot from a project to make a naval Hürjet, before we, imo, inevitably make a naval version of Kaan. Navalization of our aircraft and helicopters is one of the obstacles we have to overcome sooner or later.

In addition to all this, there is also the case of the Air Force. Frankly, for the worst case scenario, I would rather have a fighter Hurjet with STOL capability than a JF-17.
I agree with this as well, I would rather have a light fighter Hürjet that we make ourselves (barring engines unfortunately) than something like JF-17.

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,741
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
It sounds familiar, reminding you of the Altay case, right? LOL
About half of our projects right now remind me of Altay since whether they are aerial, naval or land projects, we seem to lack engines for half of them. I think Altay has caused a lot of ptsd in Turkish defence industry enthusiasts 😂

zio

Reactions
4 456
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
If our airforce do not get hürjet ı would not be surprised,like hürkuş project,we still do not know the reason for go hürkuş 2 not for the hürkuş 1,which is flying perfectly.and we lost many export opportunties,why?

moz68k

Reactions
18 579
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
If they can keep the operating costs of the light combat version of Hürjet down, it'd really give our F-16s a much needed break from more mundane operations like civilian aircraft interceptions, and perhaps do some basic counterinsurgency ops, especially with that drone operator concept.

Last edited:

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
112 14,724
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Dear members this is the new home of Hurjet now.
Please discuss ONLY matters related to HURJET here.

Ripley

Contributor
USA Correspondent
Reactions
12 1,512
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
When will Hurjet actually fight FA-50 in the international market?
When TurAF forms a squadron, demonstrate and prove the aircraft to be a reliable platform as a workhorse from vanilla trainer version to light attack and many other roles for the needs of potential customers with the permission of the US of any export of American hardware on board, particularly F404.

Rodeo

Contributor
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
30 4,749
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
HÜRJET reached Mach 0.6 HÜRJET Jet Training Aircraft made its 27th flight. The design phase of HÜRJET has ended.

Jet Training Aircraft HÜRJET took to the skies for the 27th time in October. In this flight, where the aircraft took off for the 27th time, having remained in the air for a total of 18 hours as of October 11, 2023, the calibration of the air data system and model verifications were carried out.

To carry out the high-speed tests, the aircraft's landing gear was assembled and the engine power was increased to Max A/B level.

As the engine power reached Max A/B, the propulsion system used in the aircraft produced 50 percent more thrust force, enabling the aircraft to accelerate to 0.6 times the speed of sound.

The speed envelope of HÜRJET, which will reach speeds above the speed of sound, continues to open. In the future, supersonic tests will be carried out with other HÜRJET prototypes.

uçuyorum

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,190
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
HÜRJET reached Mach 0.6 HÜRJET Jet Training Aircraft made its 27th flight. The design phase of HÜRJET has ended.

Jet Training Aircraft HÜRJET took to the skies for the 27th time in October. In this flight, where the aircraft took off for the 27th time, having remained in the air for a total of 18 hours as of October 11, 2023, the calibration of the air data system and model verifications were carried out.

To carry out the high-speed tests, the aircraft's landing gear was assembled and the engine power was increased to Max A/B level.

As the engine power reached Max A/B, the propulsion system used in the aircraft produced 50 percent more thrust force, enabling the aircraft to accelerate to 0.6 times the speed of sound.

The speed envelope of HÜRJET, which will reach speeds above the speed of sound, continues to open. In the future, supersonic tests will be carried out with other HÜRJET prototypes.

This doesn't make sense. Either it's 1.6 mach or did the jet actively slow itself with control surfaces while afterburner is on? It should usually reach 1.4 mach with that power. Or is it 0.6 mach on ground?

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,741
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
10 9,114
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan

Any news on when we can expect to see the 2nd prototype?

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
59 7,511
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Any news on when we can expect to see the 2nd prototype?
By "design phase", I think they mean CDR is now complete for it and design is frozen. So second prototype can't be that far, we should see it soon. 27 consecutive flights with the first prototype is a great milestone.

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,741
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
By "design phase", I think they mean CDR is now complete for it and design is frozen. So second prototype can't be that far, we should see it soon. 27 consecutive flights with the first prototype is a great milestone.
If the 2025 serial production (or rather LRIP) target is still there, it has to be soon I think. From the way that piece on Hürjet was written, it sounds like the second prototype is going to be the one to fly at higher altitudes, faster speeds and execute manoeuvres with high g loads and probably bunch of other stuff. That's a lot of testing to do in a year, maybe a bit more.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom