Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
4 2,213
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Jordan
I have done some very through investigations on LinkedIn and was surprised by how many South Africans there are at Halcon(50-60 at the minimum), most are in high level positions like Principle engineer, chief engineer, senior engineer, etc although some of the younger ones are in mid level positions.

Imagine what these guys(and gals) bring to the table from their decades of experience it is revolutionary how fast you can move when you take a shortcut.

Just one man's CV, haha Denel Dynamics was designing for the French

Chief Systems Engineer​

• MUPSOW (MUlti-Purpose Stand-Off Weapon)
    AASM (Armement Air-Sol Modulaire) Aerodynamics & Flight Control
    RAPTOR Long-range, Precision-guided Weapon
    Stand-Off Weapons

1619147702985.png

1619147730719.png

You sly Frogs getting the South Africans to help your project

1619147791175.png

Philip the Arab

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
4 2,213
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Jordan
Warheads for glide weapons, cruise missiles, and a 122mm rocket
1619217341668.png

1619217332712.png

Anti tank and fragmentation warheads for Desert Sting 8 and another 70mm munition that I'm not aware of

1619217447272.png

1619217427119.png

Warheads for QX-1, QX-2, QX-3, and QX-4 loitering munitions.

1619217590859.png

Philip the Arab

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
4 2,213
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Jordan
Halcon SALH seeker heads although not sure if they even have the capacity to manufacture optical components but I could be wrong. I'm not sure if specialized CNC machines can make optics but I have to do more research on the topic.

PCBs, and mechanical components could be manufactured though.

1619310215870.png

Picture for reference

1619313087604.png

1619310244794.png

1619310354287.png

Last edited:

Philip the Arab

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
4 2,213
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Jordan
NASEF Low cost cruise missile will give the UAEAF and UAE army a precision striking munition for taking out soft or medium targets with its 50kg warhead.

The boosters are ugly but are required to achieve required operating needs for the turbojet.

1619380227662.png

Screenshot 2021-04-25 3.49.27 PM.png

Philip the Arab

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
4 2,213
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Jordan
1619577193987.png
1619577057370.png

Missile NameDesert Sting 16MAM-L
Range16km8 km (14 km with Inertial Navigation System/Global Positioning System Option)
Weight23kg22.5kg
Warhead weight16kg10kg
GuidanceINSS/GPS + SALHSALH with optional GPS

@Cabatli_53
Could you fact check some of the MAM-L stats? Can't find reliable information about it in many places.

Philip the Arab

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
4 2,213
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Jordan
As HALCON expands its home-grown UAE-based design and manufacturing of bomb-guidance systems and their enabling technologies, we have a growing requirement for development engineers.

While we attract top talent from across the globe, our goal with The 400 is to hire 400 Emirati engineers in over the next 10 years. To achieve this goal, we are reaching out to high schools and universities in the UAE to identify and engage Emirati youth early. We also fund overseas university studies for talented and motivated UAE nationals and work with human capital building entities in the UAE to expand the pipeline of young Emiratis into engineering fields and roles with companies such as HALCON.

Philip the Arab

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
4 2,213
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Jordan
@Nutuk
What is your opinion on this company? Do you think they could have a good future and become as big as Roketsan?

I discussed this topic on WAFF with you when the company was much smaller.

kimov

Committed member
Reactions
1 408
Nation of residence
Sweden
Nation of origin
Turkey
I'm not sure if specialized CNC machines can make optics but I have to do more research on the topic.
You don't use CNC on optics.

You grind and polish optics to your required dimensions from a large piece of glass.
Cheaper parts can be molded directly to shape but these are never used in high grade optics.

You could then add some thin-film coating for various reasons such as anti-reflective coating with a process called sputtering or evaporation.

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,513
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
@Nutuk
What is your opinion on this company? Do you think they could have a good future and become as big as Roketsan?

I discussed this topic on WAFF with you when the company was much smaller.

Hard to say, to be honest I do not think that the UAE exports much so the bulk of the income has to come from the UAE army. To a certain extend that can suffice but a company that cannot expand will in the end crumble (South Africa's Denel is a good example, a very good company suffered when it could not expand for a long time and falls in regression)

Same counts for Turkish defence companies, they need to expand and until now they could grow.

Philip the Arab

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
4 2,213
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Jordan
You don't use CNC on optics.

You grind and polish optics to your required dimensions from a large piece of glass.
Cheaper parts can be molded directly to shape but these are never used in high grade optics.

You could then add some thin-film coating for various reasons such as anti-reflective coating with a process called sputtering or evaporation.
Most likely they are importing the optics from India, or China to be honest. I suppose India is a good country for imports considering its proximity to the UAE, and the good relationship they have.

They hired a good amount of optical, laser, and infrared experts but manufacturing is a whole different ballgame I think.

Last edited:

Philip the Arab

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
4 2,213
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Jordan
Denel Dynamics employees(Figure is quite old so its likely they are in the 400s if not less)

1621921260687.png

Halcon employees

1621921295544.png

Philip the Arab

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
4 2,213
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Jordan
Halcon is hiring more employees(Some from Denel and RDM and other South African companies) and Emirati interns and employees.

1624388800015.png

1624388848627.png

Found out on Linkedin they are working on a Mars rover wheel project for the UAE space agency.

Philip the Arab

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
4 2,213
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Jordan
Last edited:
L

larbi

Some interesting screengrabs from this video

Haha, an Emirati leading a South African looking at some type of Block diagram

View attachment 18303

GNSS simulating product called GSG-8 on the South African man's screen, maybe they are buying it to develop the navigation system?

View attachment 18305

Cutaway Desert Sting missile, he said he is designing and developing a GNSS/INS navigational system

View attachment 18306

Halcon has the capability to build produce PCBs and layer them so it seems he is programming the FPGA for a Xilinx chip.

View attachment 18307
Halcon's micro munitions are all local assembly/manufacturing of South African products, they do not produce any of the critical tech used in them.

even with the help of imported south African engineers, they still only produce parts that require imported machinery and no local production of pin photodetectors for SALH no thermal batteries no FPGA ... (you get the idea)

turkey, for example, started with tasking the design of its micro munitions to german companies, and at the beginning, even MAM-L warheads were imported from TDA .
they still import most critical parts 😅,but at least they're producing locally developed seekers for them now.

only MENAT counties that developed them from scratch are Iran and Israel, altough Iran mostly uses EO/IR in guidance in them because most of it's UCAVs rely on cheap EO/IR turrets with very short-range laser illuminators and some of them don't even have laser illuminators.

Saudi PSDSARC is working on one design for its sky guardian UAV but they didn't test it yet.
s1.png

Top Bottom