Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
100 1,891
Nation of residence
Pakistan
Nation of origin
Pakistan
How A Poor Child With A Dead Rooster Exposes The Centers Of Power

A video went viral on social media a few days ago in which a young boy of Sindhi origin can be seen raging at the creators of ‘new Pakistan’. He is standing in a pool of dirty water with a dead rooster in his hands and speaking in Sindhi at the top of his lungs, “We don’t want this new Pakistan….we don’t want this dirty water…give us clean drinking water…my rooster has died after drinking this dirty water…..we were happy in old Pakistan”.

No matter how you respond to this young boy’s furious assertions – be it “this or that party is to blame” or “it’s a provincial/central government’s failure” or “the ones on top don’t care about the common people” – his outburst speaks of intense suffering and of being a victim of somebody’s serious neglect.

This country is an absolute mess and as things are going, the fate of that poor rooster is all that awaits us.

TR_123456

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey

A video went viral on social media a few days ago in which a young boy of Sindhi origin can be seen raging at the creators of ‘new Pakistan’. He is standing in a pool of dirty water with a dead rooster in his hands and speaking in Sindhi at the top of his lungs, “We don’t want this new Pakistan….we don’t want this dirty water…give us clean drinking water…my rooster has died after drinking this dirty water…..we were happy in old Pakistan”.

No matter how you respond to this young boy’s furious assertions – be it “this or that party is to blame” or “it’s a provincial/central government’s failure” or “the ones on top don’t care about the common people” – his outburst speaks of intense suffering and of being a victim of somebody’s serious neglect.

This country is an absolute mess and as things are going, the fate of that poor rooster is all that awaits us.
All we as outsiders can do is condemn the ones reponsible but who are they?
Who do we blame?

Saiyan0321

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
100 1,891
Nation of residence
Pakistan
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Who do we blame?

Province i would say but in reality the elite. Those that supported these waderas and all of them. Those that always win no matter who is in power and those that declared land reforms as unIslamic. The power center, the mullah, the landlord and the elite. All of them are to blame.

Last edited:

TR_123456

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Province i would say but in reality the elite. Those that supported these waderas and all of them. Those that always win no matter who is in power and those that declared land reforms as Islamic. The power center, the mullah, the landlord and the elite. All of them are to blame.
So,the only thing we can do is talk about it?

VCheng

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Pakistan

So what? It is only a rooster. Pakistan's high and mighty have not been moved to do anything even after self-immolation brought on by extreme prolonged deprivation. Nothing will happen now either, nor is the system at any risk for the foreseeable future.

A story I narrated elsewhere may be applicable here too:

==========================================================

Once upon a time, there was a bridge leading to the capital of a kingdom across a wide and dangerous river. As the population grew, the bridge grew crowded. Not wanting to spend money to build another bridge, the King ordered a toll charge, but that did not reduce the traffic. Then his wazir recommended that in addition to the toll, anybody wishing to cross the bridge also be given 50 lashes. The King was concerned that the people might revolt at such a preposterous idea. However, this did reduce the traffic and the King was happy.

One day, the people requested an audience with the King to talk about the new arrangement. Fully expecting to receive a backlash at the unjust measures, the King agreed reluctantly. The few people chosen for the audience came up in the court, and requested humbly that the time to cross the bridge was too long and it was too expensive. The King tried to be diplomatic, and asked what the people thought the solution should be. The people requested that instead of one person administering the lashes, that number be increased to ten, so that the time taken to get lashed could be reduced. The King was internally flabbergasted, but agreed to the request.

After the representatives had left the court, the King asked his wazir about what had just happened.

The wazir's reply? "Aleejah, I know our people."

TR_123456

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
So what? It is only a rooster. Pakistan's high and mighty have not been moved to do anything even after self-immolation brought on by extreme prolonged deprivation. Nothing will happen now either, nor is the system at any risk for the foreseeable future.

A story I narrated elsewhere may be applicable here too:

==========================================================

Once upon a time, there was a bridge leading to the capital of a kingdom across a wide and dangerous river. As the population grew, the bridge grew crowded. Not wanting to spend money to build another bridge, the King ordered a toll charge, but that did not reduce the traffic. Then his wazir recommended that in addition to the toll, anybody wishing to cross the bridge also be given 50 lashes. The King was concerned that the people might revolt at such a preposterous idea. However, this did reduce the traffic and the King was happy.

One day, the people requested an audience with the King to talk about the new arrangement. Fully expecting to receive a backlash at the unjust measures, the King agreed reluctantly. The few people chosen for the audience came up in the court, and requested humbly that the time to cross the bridge was too long and it was too expensive. The King tried to be diplomatic, and asked what the people thought the solution should be. The people requested that instead of one person administering the lashes, that number be increased to ten, so that the time taken to get lashed could be reduced. The King was internally flabbergasted, but agreed to the request.

After the representatives had left the court, the King asked his wazir about what had just happened.

The wazir's reply? "Aleejah, I know our people."
You are cruel man VCheng. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

VCheng

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Pakistan
I know,thats why i said it.
I consider myself honest in opinion but sometimes its better to give some hope by lying.
People need hope.

Any hope created by lying is a false hope. It merely prolongs the agony and is a defense mechanism to avoid meaningful change.

TR_123456

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Any hope created by lying is a false hope. It merely prolongs the agony and is a defense mechanism to avoid meaningful change.
Ok,lets be honest then,is there a slight chance of meaningful change?

VCheng

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Ok,lets be honest then,is there a slight chance of meaningful change?

Let's define what would suffice as meaningful first.

Is it that there will be clean drinking water for all children and roosters alike in the next decade? Not a chance.

Is it that the water will be clean enough to make them sick, but not kill them, in the next decade? Possibly.

TR_123456

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Let's define what would suffice as meaningful first.

Is it that there will be clean drinking water for all children and roosters alike in the next decade? Not a chance.

Is it that the water will be clean enough to make them sick, but not kill them, in the next decade? Possibly.
Yes,the water.

Saiyan0321

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
100 1,891
Nation of residence
Pakistan
Nation of origin
Pakistan

I dont think we will witness such massive development when we are losing that precious resource. a more realistic point would be that there would be no water to either make them sick nor kill them.

VCheng

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Yes,the water.
I dont think we will witness such massive development when we are losing that precious resource. a more realistic point would be that there would be no water to either make them sick nor kill them.

The availability of water in Pakistan has fallen by almost an order of magnitude since independence. The investments needed to halt, let alone reverse that trend, given the numbers, is simply beyond its financial ability, and likely to remain so for the foreseeable future. A lack of water is the worst possible type of starvation, and millions are already at risk, particularly in areas like Tharparker. Forget those areas, just look at the state of water supply in Karachi, the biggest city and the financial hub of the country.

And no, the shortage of water is NOT because somebody is stopping Pakistan's water. Such claims are dishonest and meant to support a particular narrative, which is extremely harmful to the country in the long run.

Saiyan0321

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
100 1,891
Nation of residence
Pakistan
Nation of origin
Pakistan
People need hope.

Hope is wasted on the hopeless. :D

And no, the shortage of water is NOT because somebody is stopping Pakistan's water. Such claims are dishonest and meant to support a particular narrative, which is extremely harmful to the country in the long run.

Ofcourse it isnt. There are a bunch of rivers in Pakistan, how can India stop them all or any at all. Lets say that somehow India can magically divert Indus, it would drown everything from Kashmir to Haryana all the way to Gujrat. The problem is ofcourse is extremely poor water policies, zero awareness on water conservation and usage of ground reserves rather than utilizing river irrigation. We waste so much of the water by letting it go to the Sea. No storage and the bright idea to have farmers use tubewells and ground water for farming and domestic usage basically impacted what may have been one of the largest aquifer in the region. Let me tell you an example. In SKP alone, it is a trend to have two types of ground water networks. One is the electric Motor and the other is the hand pump and now people have three types. Electric Motor, Solar Motor and Hand pump so minimum of two holes going down to the ground water and the worst part is that our scarcity is entirely based on ground water and not river network. The rivers are not drying at all. They are growing infact but the ground water that serves 90% of our domestic needs is drying and this is causing massive water shortages especially in areas where there were little aquifers like Eastern Sindh which was desert area and what little water that was in the ground was completely consumed by the upper class over there and then built small scale dams and irrigation networks to dry the small lake networks that were available over there.

FUNDS!! that is the word and WILL. We need these two things and the situation can still be salvaged but it wont. Its far easier to blame India or Afghanistan or US or Israel than to accept that we are incompetent and dont care if people die of thirst.

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Who do we blame?
Certainly NOT the present government. This piece is taking a sly shot at PMIK's government whose slogan is "Naya Pakistan" or New Pakistan. The reality is that water was as dirty two years ago in the "Old Pakistan" before Imran Khan won the elections.

As to who is to blame. It's complex. I will give you my understanding later. It is some of things @Saiyan0321 touched on but there are more fundamental socio-political factors at play here.

Ps. I must "out" the fact that I have been a long term supporter of Imran Khan and am a paid member of PTI UK chapter [his party] as can be seen in my display picture. So my views could be called biased.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom