Indonesia Indonesian Navy, Tentara Nasional Indonesia-Angkatan Laut (TNI-AL)

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,019
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,383
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
Arrowhead 140 design and FREMM won the contest.
Do you have any more information regarding the Omega frigate, and what configuration they offered to Indonesia? Nice!! I hope Indonesia got the Aster 30 on their FREMM. It makes me laugh when I see that the Moroccan FREMM only operates aster 15 on such a huge frigate. What's the configuration of the Arrowhead 140 for the Indonesian navy?

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,019
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Do you have any more information regarding the Omega frigate, and what configuration they offered to Indonesia? Nice!! I hope Indonesia got the Aster 30 on their FREMM. It makes me laugh when I see that the Moroccan FREMM only operates aster 15 on such a huge frigate. What's the configuration of the Arrowhead 140 for the Indonesian navy?

If i recall, the Dutch offer is to include our warship program with their Belgium-Netherland Frigate projects which is surely has different specification at some points, but most of the part is common with their.

Arrowhead 140 detail is quite vary from time to time but they would use Havelsan Made Advent CMS and my bet they would use a lot of Turkey made arms and equipment.

For the FREMM the detail for engineering SPECS and thing is being restarted again after the last failure from our part.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,108
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
I read that the OMEGA frigate was offered to Indonesia a while ago. What happened with the project? I can't find any information regarding the OMEGA frigate on the Damens official website however I find an older picture from last year that @JATOSINT took. It looks really similar to the SIGMA 12516 when it comes to its design.

View attachment 57953

View attachment 57954

@Gary

Damen used this design with 2 separated superstructure to bid for the German MKS 180 program against TKMS and won.

Now the design evolved into F126 Fregatte. Shame we didn't chose the OMEGA

F126-class-Frigate-04.jpg

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,383
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
Damen used this design with 2 separated superstructure to bid for the German MKS 180 program against TKMS and won.

Now the design evolved into F126 Fregatte. Shame we didn't chose the OMEGA

F126-class-Frigate-04.jpg

Is the F126 frigate an extended omega frigate? Since I remember that the first Omega frigate was reportedly to be around 6000 tons with 24 vls. The german F126 is a 10 000 ton destroyer.

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,019
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Omega design is much much more expensive even compared to the FREMM let alone Type 31/Arrowhead 140, that's why they lose here.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,108
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Is the F126 frigate an extended omega frigate? Since I remember that the first Omega frigate was reportedly to be around 6000 tons with 24 vls. The german F126 is a 10 000 ton destroyer.
Yeah an enlarged design, something to follow on the F125 but with more firepower and multirole in nature

1x 127mm VULCANO
16 x MK41 VLS for 64 ESSM Blk2
8 x Kongsberg NSM
2x 12.7mm hitrole
2x 27mm MLG27
2x RIM-116 launcher with 21 missile's each.

They still call it a frigate though.

Even the larger F127 AAW ships are going to be called a frigate even though it will be 12K-15K tons.

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,383
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
Yeah an enlarged design, something to follow on the F125 but with more firepower and multirole in nature

1x 127mm VULCANO
16 x MK41 VLS for 64 ESSM Blk2
8 x Kongsberg NSM
2x 12.7mm hitrole
2x 27mm MLG27
2x RIM-116 launcher with 21 missile's each.

They still call it a frigate though.

Even the larger F127 AAW ships are going to be called a frigate even though it will be 12K-15K tons.
I dont know why Damen has not made a product catalog of the Omega design. But the German F126 is present on their website. As I mentioned earlier the Sigma 12516 seems very similar to the design of the Omega however it carries even more punch than the Omega even if the Omega is heavier by at least 1500 tons.

Why would you prefer the Omega over the FREMM/Arrowhead 140?

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,108
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
I dont know why Damen has not made a product catalog of the Omega design. But the German F126 is present on their website. As I mentioned earlier the Sigma 12516 seems very similar to the design of the Omega however it carries even more punch than the Omega even if the Omega is heavier by at least 1500 tons.

It all comes down to needs and selections, the Germans aren't particularly fond of having so many VLS. In fact throughout history, German capital ships generally punch below the average weight when it comes to firepower.

The can add another 16 VLS, there's a lot of room left in the F126...if they want
Why would you prefer the Omega over the FREMM/Arrowhead 140?
Because of looks 😁

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,383
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
It all comes down to needs and selections, the Germans aren't particularly fond of having so many VLS. In fact throughout history, German capital ships generally punch below the average weight when it comes to firepower.

The can add another 16 VLS, there's a lot of room left in the F126...if they want

Because of looks 😁
Yeah, i realized that they only have 16 VLS in a quad-packed configuration. Heavy frigates/destroyers like the TF-2000 with its 64 vls, or the horizon class of the Italian navy with its 48 vls are much lighter than the German F126.

How many vls will the Indonesian arrowhead 140 carry?

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,108
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Yeah, i realized that they only have 16 VLS in a quad-packed configuration. Heavy frigates/destroyers like the TF-2000 with its 64 vls, or the horizon class of the Italian navy with its 48 vls are much lighter than the German F126.

How many vls will the Indonesian arrowhead 140 carry?
12+12+16 = 40 VLS for medium AAW, LR AAW and anti ship...rumours said

Lordimperator

Experienced member
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
1 2,455
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Nice stuff! What is the total cost for the frigate?
Post in thread 'Indonesian Navy, Tentara Nasional Indonesia-Angkatan Laut (TNI-AL)' https://defencehub.live/threads/ind...ndonesia-angkatan-laut-tni-al.697/post-251564
Approved 1.1 bil in total

Excerpt of the news
The Government of the Republic of Indonesia through the Ministry of Finance has approved a Foreign Loan worth US$ 1.1 billion to finance the acquisition of two Arrowhead 140 frigates designed by Babcock, England. This figure is a combination of two Determination of Funding Sources (PSP), namely the 2017 PSP and the 2023 PSP, both of which coincidentally were signed by Sri Mulyani as the Minister of Finance. In the Arrowhead 140 frigate program, Indonesia purchased the license for the warship from Babcock to be built in Indonesia by PT PAL Indonesia. Through this scheme, it is hoped that the ability of a subsidiary of PT LEN Industri will increase in terms of building complex warships such as the frigate type
Source:

Last edited:

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom