Indonesia Indonesian Navy, Tentara Nasional Indonesia-Angkatan Laut (TNI-AL)

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,484
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Wait wait wait. Are you telling me that this mothership-KSR thing is not some concept or offer but an actual TNI program? My god...
That's my guess, $900M for only the missile boat, that's criminal offense. NavalNews website hinted that it will be with the mothership (PAL will be involved) although local source said that at the moment the project is for KSR only (the increase of funding to $900M has not yet been approved at this point)
Screenshot 2023-07-19 030904.png

So my assumption is if the $900M funding are put forward they will at least include the mothership.

Basically. Though we should consider one thing. As we all know, effective utilization of FAC/missile boats needs external C4ISR and sensor-shooter network. What this mothership-KSR concept looks to me is the smaller version of idependent sensor-shooter unit that can operate without the need for substantial external tactical data link and sensors network. It's biggest benefit will be a possible physical seperation of the sensor platfor and the shooter while not suffering from problems the traditional manned missile boats suffer. Small size and bad endurance and bad survivability against air threats, which applies the same for USVs but without the human casualty.

My biggest worry is exactly the C4ISR issue, I said earlier we need SATCOM so the mothership could continuously communicate with KSR located beyond the horizon. This sensor-shooter network is only as useful as long as our communications remains working.

I have my worry that the enemy will try to sever the communications, China is particularly good at EW. Their doctrine is called informationized warfare and it stress the PLA to cut any sort of communications and information between the nodes of the enemy. China will go after those nodes and I'm not confident with our ability to cope.

Yes, there's some disparity in future TNI AL surface fleet after the planned modernization. There needs to be some workhorse frigates that are smaller than AH140/FREMM under discussion for acquisition. Also, I'm mentioning KPLP especially considering that, to me, one of the most threatening entity to Indonesian interest in the regional waters is the ilegal Chinese fishery. You wouldn't want to use TNI AL ships in anti-ilegal fishery operations not only because its an overkill, but also because of political implications ("military warship captures Chinese ilegal trawler" compared to "Indonesian coast guard ship captures Chinese ilegal trawler").
Yes, the use of grey hulled ships are in my opinion unwise. For starters we are in the position of weakness, using grey hulls only gives China the incentives to escalate, and they know they have the superior escalatory ladder. We must make the SCS issue a white hull v white hull issue only and it should stay that way for a very long time.

In this regard, Vietnam has long left us in this game, and if you look at the KPLP/Bakamla, they look pale compared that to Vietnam's coast guard + maritime militia combo which is suited for the type of grey zone warfare in the SCS.

Also, I think OPVs are not really optimal for Indonesian security implications but rather corvettes. I think you were talking more about traditional corvettes as well. Something like Brauschweig class or Steregushchiy/Gremyashchiy class.

The OPV 90, in my opinion is OPV in name only. It will have CIWS, ASW and ASuW capabilities. Workhorse frigate that size should at least have 12-16 short range missile the size of Umkhonto/Mica, that is to justify the price of the ships and its own ability to defend itself at least against a full salvo of enemy anti ship missile. Which is absent in the current OPV 90.

Without the addition of those VLS, we only have 5 ships with VLS and only 2-3 that could fire its VLS (2 Martadinata + 1 modernized Bung Tomo with VL Mica) while the rest of the fleet will have to defend themselves using Mistral, their DP main gun and manual 20mm cannon.

It is always amusing to see just how little the Indonesian navy put an emphasis on air defense on its warships even after the lessons of the Pacific war, Falklands etc.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,484
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Guys, any idea what kind of EO ball is this ? Which manufacturers and what model ?

358592055_643433217820234_7495333280734439050_n.jpg

deadlast

Committed member
Professional
Reactions
2 357
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
For only this ship or the whole class?
It's an old add-on (circa 2018 or so?), KRI Abdul Halim Perdanakusuma (355) & KRI Oswald Siahaan (354) also got one, (356) has Signaal LIOD (taken off from FPB-57 class) instead & (351) still use their original M44/M45 FCR Scratch that, M44/M45 FCR still there & (351) also get the Chinese EO.

Last edited:

this is crunch

Contributor
Reactions
4 633
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

Selain penembakan rudal Exocet MM40 Block 3, satgas juga memaparkan rencana penembakan rudal C-802 dan C-705. Selain itu, dipaparkan pula konsep manuver pasukan pendarat (Pasrat) Korps Marinir.

Yudo mengatakan, latihan gabungan TNI 2023 bakal disebar di tiga wilayah, yakni Kogabwilhan I di Dabo Singkep, Kepulauan Riau; Kagobwilhan II latihan di Asembagus, Jawa Timur; dan Kagobwilhan III di Ransiki, Papua Barat.

---

The next TNI combined armed forces execise will include the firing of 3 type of AShM, MM40 B3, C-802, and C-705. The execise will be held in 3 separate location:
1st Defense Operation Command held the execise in Dabo Singkep, Riau Islands.
2nd Defense Operation Command, in Asembagus, East Java.
3rd Defense Operation Command, in Ransiki, West Papua.

Time : Around August(?)

edit, can anyone provide the correct translation of Kogabwilhan?

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,484
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

Selain penembakan rudal Exocet MM40 Block 3, satgas juga memaparkan rencana penembakan rudal C-802 dan C-705. Selain itu, dipaparkan pula konsep manuver pasukan pendarat (Pasrat) Korps Marinir.

Yudo mengatakan, latihan gabungan TNI 2023 bakal disebar di tiga wilayah, yakni Kogabwilhan I di Dabo Singkep, Kepulauan Riau; Kagobwilhan II latihan di Asembagus, Jawa Timur; dan Kagobwilhan III di Ransiki, Papua Barat.

---

The next TNI combined armed forces execise will include the firing of 3 type of AShM, MM40 B3, C-802, and C-705. The execise will be held in 3 separate location:
1st Defense Operation Command held the execise in Dabo Singkep, Riau Islands.
2nd Defense Operation Command, in Asembagus, East Java.
3rd Defense Operation Command, in Ransiki, West Papua.

Time : Around August(?)

edit, can anyone provide the correct translation of Kogabwilhan?
IIRC there will be firing of SUT as well

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom