Indonesia Indonesian Navy, Tentara Nasional Indonesia-Angkatan Laut (TNI-AL)

Indos

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
To be honest, I really @#$$@#% hate Indonesia drama.
Why the hell they go to japan and Europe doing this and that, making ruckus regarding to procurement said bla..bla.. to media but in the end still no big difference shows as result.
Since the beginning, arms procurement always talk about purchasing power.
Japan and France offer better things but they are hold their back to accept it. Can anyone believe what our Government has done??????

It is the media which is just making story, it is normal for Mindef to look around on possible acquisition or just for study for indigenous design. The one that is quite certain is for 2 Iver acquisition and the budget has already been approved.

Gundala

Reactions
1 506
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Why Iver Huidfeldt is not being considered as an option for the baseline of localization roadmap? If that project is still going on,it is definitely the best case to build shipbuilding and ship design experience upon.
Being purchased as is (ignoring the advantage they have provided to modify), still IH provides more ToT and know&how compared to Babcock's offer, plus with IH the IP rights will be owned as well. Receiving some consultancy any kind of platform can be derived from IH for mid-term needs, and in long term a design can be built from scratch.
To me, that same question goes to out Changbogo submarine class project with Korea.Why dont we deal with Germany? ......geopolitic? Personal preference? kickback? spec tech? Only God knows :LOL: :LOL:
The downside would be we need to wait for years (maybe) and we are in dire need of new warship.

How about we start with corvette.
Its about riding the momentum. Or we could do the ToT for them to assist us making new design corvette? There are alot that could be done, designing can be projected to future asset where construction can be focus in todays need. Banyak jalan menuju Roma 😁

FPXAllen

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
4 1,629
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
It is the media which is just making story, it is normal for Mindef to look around on possible acquisition or just for study for indigenous design. The one that is quite certain is for 2 Iver acquisition and the budget has already been approved.
Well, speaking from the media's perspective, I personally always try my utmost not to making up stories. On the other hand, I often have to work with partial and incomplete informations (even from supposedly trusted sources, that is), so in order to fill in the blanks, I have to be creative by scrounging other related materials and past news which aren't always totally accurate either.

Simply put, although I'm obsessed with accurracy, but it's not always possible to obtain full and complete data of the information I need to write eventhough it's not about some classified or top-secret stuffs.

All this, and I haven't even mentioned the kind of mess when politics are getting in the picture - which I actually try to avoid at all cost.

Now regarding (near?) future acquisition of new frigates for Indonesian navy, there's still nothing to write about if our MoD is still studying their options. Not until they decide what offer that they finaly choose. As for when that will happen, your guess is as good as mine.

BBOn

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
So, basically they turn their back from what japan and france has offered (hutang) since budget allocation for the second batch also had been final.

R4duga

Experienced member
Reactions
2 2,367
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
https://www.janes.com/defence-news/...man-turkish-firms-to-customise-frigate-design

20 APRIL 2021

Indonesia engages German, Turkish firms to customise frigate design​

by Ridzwan Rahmat

Indonesian state-owned shipbuilder PT PAL has engaged German naval consultancy, MTG Marinetechnik, and Turkish engineering firm FIGES AS, to customise the design of a new frigate class that it will be constructing for the Indonesian Navy.

PT PAL has engaged consultants to customise a derivative of Denmark’s Iver Huitfeldt frigate, of which the first-of-class is seen here, for Indonesian Navy requirements. (Guy Toremans)

PT PAL has engaged consultants to customise a derivative of Denmark’s Iver Huitfeldt frigate, of which the first-of-class is seen here, for Indonesian Navy requirements. (Guy Toremans)

According to a statement released by the defence ministry on 31 March, the frigate design is one that has been offered by Babcock, which implies that the design consultancy services pertain to the Indonesian Navy’s (Tentara Nasional Indonesia – Angkatan Laut: TNI-AL’s) follow-on Martadinata-class frigates. As Janes reported in March 2021, the Arrowhead 140 concept from a consortium led by Babcock is one of the candidates that Indonesia is considering as follow-on ships to the Martadinata class.

However, Janes has since verified with a source close to the process that Marinetechnik and FIGES are instead assisting PT PAL with the TNI-AL’s contract for a variant of the Iver Huitfeldt class, the contract for which was signed in April 2020.

The Iver Huitfeldt class displaces 6,600 tonnes at full load, and is powered by four MTU 20V 8000 M70 diesel engines in a combined diesel and diesel (CODAD) configuration, giving it a top speed of about 28 kt. Weapons on the vessel include a 76 mm Oto Melara gun in the forward section, a 35 mm Millennium Gun close-in weapon system (CIWS) in the aft section, and vertical launching system (VLS) modules for anti-air and surface missiles amidships.

Janes understands that Marinetechnik and FIGES are customising a derivative design of the class for TNI-AL requirements, and will be recommending a suite of sensors, weapons, and other combat systems for the frigate. Janes.

wake me up when the first steel cutting ceremony is held ....

are we expecting a mutant variants of iver X meko with marinetechnik involved ?

Last edited:

Var Dracon

Reactions
1 473
Nation of residence
Indonesia
https://www.janes.com/defence-news/...man-turkish-firms-to-customise-frigate-design

20 APRIL 2021

by Ridzwan Rahmat

Indonesian state-owned shipbuilder PT PAL has engaged German naval consultancy, MTG Marinetechnik, and Turkish engineering firm FIGES AS, to customise the design of a new frigate class that it will be constructing for the Indonesian Navy.

According to a statement released by the defence ministry on 31 March, the frigate design is one that has been offered by Babcock, which implies that the design consultancy services pertain to the Indonesian Navy’s (Tentara Nasional Indonesia – Angkatan Laut: TNI-AL’s) follow-on Martadinata-class frigates. As Janes reported in March 2021, the Arrowhead 140 concept from a consortium led by Babcock is one of the candidates that Indonesia is considering as follow-on ships to the Martadinata class.

However, Janes has since verified with a source close to the process that Marinetechnik and FIGES are instead assisting PT PAL with the TNI-AL’s contract for a variant of the Iver Huitfeldt class, the contract for which was signed in April 2020.

The Iver Huitfeldt class displaces 6,600 tonnes at full load, and is powered by four MTU 20V 8000 M70 diesel engines in a combined diesel and diesel (CODAD) configuration, giving it a top speed of about 28 kt. Weapons on the vessel include a 76 mm Oto Melara gun in the forward section, a 35 mm Millennium Gun close-in weapon system (CIWS) in the aft section, and vertical launching system (VLS) modules for anti-air and surface missiles amidships.

Janes understands that Marinetechnik and FIGES are customising a derivative design of the class for TNI-AL requirements, and will be recommending a suite of sensors, weapons, and other combat systems for the frigate. Janes.

Damn 28 knots again?

trishna_amrta

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

20 APRIL 2021

by Ridzwan Rahmat

'Das ist wirklich sehr gut 🙂

what do you expect ?

tbh, i dont know why we dont buy this ship with as is. why we need customize ? it spend much time to re-design, re-test, re-allocation budget, and many more
Jatah proyek dibagi bagi lah biar dapet jatah semua

Van Kravchenko

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
2 872
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
what do you expect ?

tbh, i dont know why we dont buy this ship with as is. why we need customize ? it spend much time to re-design, re-test, re-allocation budget, and many more
Lemme guess, reduce the VLS to 16 and Nerf the Radar.

Lol, ,
Its already 2021, amd no new toy landed

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,020
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Well to be fair Type 31 is "in excess of 28 knots" that means more than 28 knots.

We should adopt a policy or rule about minimum max speed of ships. I would say 30 knots is the lower limit. KCR should be no less than 32 knots.

Warship that big, cannot evade AShM with speed near Mach or more by running fast alone. What i am more concerned is their passive and active Defense mechanism, electricity supply system for possible future upgrade or refit, armaments they carry and how they can be finished as soon as possible.

wekiweko

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Barbados
Nation of origin
Barbados
having speed in excess of 30 Knots is good if you would like to dash and evade being in the same place for too long at any given time (for sure combined with other sensors to reduce enemy's capability to locate you). But then again, for our capital ships to move at that kind of speed it means using GT and it is general knowledge that the fuel consumption of GT powered ships is beyond the capability of our navy to finance wkwkwkwk

R4duga

Experienced member
Reactions
2 2,367
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
BREAKING NEWS .

there's a report KRI Nanggala (U209 Submarine) lost contact while conducting a torpedo firing exercise near bali.

hoping the best for the crew .

Last edited:

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom