DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
65 7,610
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
UN committees and commissions have proven on many occasions that they are capable of independent investigation and impartiality, in the case of WMD investigations in Iraq (although there was even reports of CIA infiltration into UNSCOM), on war crimes in Kosovo, in Iran's nuclear weapon case and many other similar cases. They are not perfect but they are also not just a couple of pansy journalists on AIPAC money with zero credibility based on past reporting, sitting in Washington copy-pasting each other.

Yes, I also strongly disagree with @dBSPL's Notion. Even though UN is pretty much handicapped when to comes great powers and their competitions, it has lots of use for small and poor third world countries when it comes essential matters. Like organizing and managing critical aides to save lives, providing very basic services in completely war-torn African countries.

Also, if UN collapse tommorow, it would become much harder for countries like BD to navigate regional and international geopolitical and security landscape.

Last edited:

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,487
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
There's no use of talking about abolishing Veto powers. Veto powers, the UN, the "rules based" order will fall once the one's pulling the string fell as well.

It's Pax Americana that is the problem, not the Veto itself. The Veto is a just a consequence of the primacy of Pax Americana.

So if you happens to not like Pax Americana, then do your job to undermine it, bit by bit.

What Hamas is doing right now, as destructive as it sounds, and as counter productive it might look is one part to undermine it. Russia has done its part by invading Ukraine and maybe China next will do its part as well.

Last edited:

Ravager

Contributor
Reactions
3 1,172
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
There's no use of talking about abolishing Veto powers, Veto powers, the UN, the "rules based" order will fall if the once pulling the string fell as well.

It's Pax Americana that is the problem, not the Veto itself. The Veto is a just a consequence of the primacy of Pax Americana.

So if you happens to not like Pax Americana, then do your job to undermine it, bit by bit.

What Hamas is doing right now, as destructive as it sounds, and as counter productive it might look is one part to undermine it. Russia has fone its job by invading Ukraine and maybe China next will do its part as well.

They allready put their chips in table now . Now , who is the first going to blink ?? Make your move US

😁😁

UN is not a forum of equals. It’s a place for world leaders to discuss, that’s it.

Sooner or later we would come into a juncture . Where we wil need an impartial arbiter for all nations to solve a problem in a civilized manner . Yes , present UN were nothing but a paper tiger . Yet , it still could be saved by strenghtened it not demeaning it ...
But , obviously i am too much an idealist for my own good .

With the latest of PRC fleet dispatch . China are trying to fish in trouble waters and make things more volatile and dangerous ...
They allready smells the weakness in the airs .

What an interesting time to live in eh ... ☕☕

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
61 7,670
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Sooner or later we would come into a juncture . Where we wil need an impartial arbiter for all nations to solve a problem in a civilized manner .
That can’t happen unless an even bigger power comes along. And that power will not be beholden to arbitration from its lessers anyway.

Unless a benevolent alien power comes up, there’s no substitute for the UN.
Post Pax Americana power blocs will also not solve this because they will always look after their own bloc first. What will happen is a defunct UN without any arbitration but still with all the conflicts of the world.

Or unless AI with ton of nukes and a itchy trigger finger start ruling the world’s nations.

Ravager

Contributor
Reactions
3 1,172
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
That can’t happen unless an even bigger power comes along. And that power will not be beholden to arbitration from its lessers anyway.

Unless a benevolent alien power comes up, there’s no substitute for the UN.
Post Pax Americana power blocs will also not solve this because they will always look after their own bloc first. What will happen is a defunct UN without any arbitration but still with all the conflicts of the world.

Or unless AI with ton of nukes and a itchy trigger finger start ruling the world’s nations.
Call me an Idealist . But , i still believes in humanity . UN as a core governmental body called them Earth federation if you will . But , yeah ... I get your poin . Without an extra terrestrial threat . Earth federation would only a pipe dreams . But , i am a dreamer tho' ... Through and through .

And my conscious are proud of it ..

B_A

Contributor
Reactions
4 1,063
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
My one state solution.

Is both of Palestine and Israel under Turkish rule.

Since these two cant stop butchering each other.

Both need to be canned with a stick just like the good old times. I think the world is sick of this conflict.
Why not let British receive all of them?

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,487
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
As I said before, the status quo and long peace would only benefit Israel, what the actors need to do is to prolong this conflict to Syrian war-style protracted conflict which while casualties are one-sided, helps to reduce the state to the bare skeleton. Because we also need to take into account the large Israeli foreign reserves and the aid that will come to it, so the longer the better, the more sustained the better.​
But unlike in Syria, where Assad rule over the ashes, the same logic couldn't be applied to Israel, because their threshold is not only the survival of the state, but also maintaining the high-income, high quality of life capitalistic economy. Increasingly hard to do when half a million of their 7 million people are drafted into the war. Many of them are secular Jews who work in the tech and business industry and not religious one exmpted by law.​
If I were asked to identify what is the Center of Gravity of the Israeli state, it's their illusion of safety, without the illusion of safety, the Western settlers will leave. And the degradation of the illusions of safety could only be achieved by a protracted combat. Even if the casualties is disproportionately with the Arabs (they can afford this though).​
The outlook for the Palestinian economy was already dire before Israel declared a siege of Gaza in retaliation for the Oct. 7 attacks, creating what the World Health Organization called a “humanitarian catastrophe.” An assessment this year by the International Monetary Fund said Israel’s blockade of the Gaza Strip and increased restrictions on the West Bank were significant obstacles to growth and private sector development.
In Israel, as many as 360,000 reservists are leaving their jobs and businesses to mobilize for military duty, bringing parts of the economy to a standstill. Israel’s technology industry, a driver of growth, has abruptly slowed. Production at a major Israeli offshore natural gas field has been shut down. The central bank has committed billions of dollars to prevent Israel’s currency, the shekel, from collapsing.
The overhaul set off a 60 percent plunge in foreign investment in Israel, and it has hastened an erosion in the shekel’s value and wide swings in the Israeli stock market. High interest rates, rising inflation and expectations of a slowdown in the global economy were also weighing on growth.

The longest mobilizations Israel had ever faced before this was 1973 October war (2 weeks) and that took a heavy toll on the Israeli economy. Here's a digitized NYT article during those days.

TEL AVIV—Between 150, 000 and 200,000 Israelis are now in their fourth month of military reserve duty. That's 10 times as many as in the relatively normai times before the war that broke out on Yom Kippur, the day of atonement.
The reservists represent some 15 per cent of the country's labor force, but the effect of their removal from their civilian occupations has been disproportionately great. The mobilization of drivers created transport bottlenecks. The absence of foremen reduced efficiency in factories. Many small enterprises have remained shut since their proprietors were called up.
Officials in Jerusalem estimate the mobilization in the first three months of the war cost the economy some $750‐million. That loss, 15 to 20 per cent of the gross national product, was separate from the billions spent for the upkeep of the armed forces and for the replacement of material destroyed in fighting.
148763942_360W.png

Here's another article about the effect of mobilizations on the economy
Before war broke out between Israel and Hamas, Jeremy Welfeld’s brewery in the Israeli town of Emek Hefer produced 50,000 litres of beer a month, while his 14 restaurants around the country drew in thousands of customers each day. In the two weeks since the conflict erupted, Welfeld’s businesses have ground to a halt. The brewery has produced nothing; 12 of his 14 restaurants are closed, and in one of the two that remain open, just five people came in during lunch hour on Thursday.
“On a normal day it’s between 50 and 150 people. Do you even open a restaurant [in these circumstances]? I can’t afford my overheads,” he said. “I’m not sure how exactly this is going to play out. It might really be the last straw that might bring down the company.”

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
86 10,843
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Yes, I also strongly disagree with @dBSPL's Notion. Even though UN is pretty much handicapped when to comes great powers and their competitions, it has lots of use for small and poor third world countries when it comes essential matters. Like organizing and managing critical aides to save lives, providing very basic services in completely war-torn African countries.
Yes, I definitely agree that UN is a very successful organization in opening soup kitchens, water wells, schools and places of worship after enough people died, enough people were displaced from their homes, and enough people fell into hunger and misery, because the crises created by the global sharing wars and disputes of hegemonic aka UNSC permanent seat states.

The UN practically has no political power bcs of current UNSC structure. Has no check and balance function over the 5- victor state structure of today's world order. UNSC member state alone can block any bill. BD, TR and many other countries have only much room for action as the -safe distance- between these great powers. This is the role assigned to us. And, this is the point we criticize. Please let's pay attention to this nuance.

Last edited:

Azbaroj

Reactions
1 213
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
It will take months to start ground operations , Israeli sources .
Hezbollah will join the war if Israel starts ground operations.
So when Hezbollah will join hamas to fight against Israel ?

Bozan

Contributor
Reactions
5 1,700
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
You have no way of not knowing that this terrorist is one of the operative militants of the Fetö terrorist organization in the social media, right? I wish you had made your comment without sharing this fetö member's tweet.

I had no idea who he is, there's like a million FETO journalists

Bozan

Contributor
Reactions
5 1,700
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey

Relic

Contributor
Canada Correspondent
Reactions
12 2,441
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
Canada

GoatsMilk

Experienced member
Reactions
10 9,053
Nation of residence
United Kingdom

Whatever this guy says, generally everything has to be double checked, he's basically a feto type character in the sense he's part of a club and constantly propagandises on their behalf. Anything secular or nationalist he attacks, everything pro globalist/marxist ideals he pushes with an islamist face.

Its interesting that he posted about bokdils death and called him a veteran in the game when all he ever wrote was anti-Turkish borderline racist propaganda. Unfortunately Turkiye seems to produce thousands of these types of sell-out traitor types.

so the guy has worked for CNN, daily Sabah and now works for middle east eye, the same newspaper that amberin zaman works for who relentlessly pushes anti-Turkiye pro PKK propaganda. Honestly i wouldnt share these enemies tweets. correction, turns out amberin zaman works for al monitor, its so hard keeping track of all these shitty media entities that simply work as propaganda offices that always work to the benefit of isreal and the west.

supposedly Middle east eye is was incorporated by a palestinian, "MEE employs about 20 full-time staff in its London office. According to British corporate records, it is owned by Middle East Eye Ltd, a UK company incorporated in 2013 under Jamal Awn Jamal Bessasso, a Palestinian born in Kuwait, and a former official of Al Jazeera and Al-Quds TV in Lebanon."

We need Turks to start exposing these frauds to the wider public. I get tired of these "journalists" who operate as no more then propagandists and in the case of ragip an ak party shill with an anti-Turkish agenda.

Last edited:

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom