DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
90 8,842
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
This may sound a bit offensive(not meant) to you but my people are a warrior breed,your people are not so you wouldnt understand.

I mean, that's what Pakistanis thought, they too got comfortable with the idea that we can't fight/won't fight back. Then 1971 happened and they were ejected.

Cultural norms and mindset does shape history. It makes some ethnicities more outgoing and expeditionary like early Arabs, or later Turks. However, there are no inherently 'warrior breed' and non 'warrior breed.' With the change of mindset, the right investment in technology and human resources, any ethnicity can excel at fighting.

Yes, we suffered colonialism for a brief period of time, but also, we as nation have solid history going back at least 2000 years in our land. Not many people around the world has survived as dominant natives in their own land for nearly 1500-2000 years while having their own successive states.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
6 18,552
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
This whole warrior breed died out with the Industrial Revolution.

Lets be honest all the most feared warriors got destroyed by technology.

The most elite and feared warriors of the King, Sultan or Mahraja all got destroyed by a thousand soldiers with guns and the tactics devised to make them effective.

Remember the Mamluks who were feared warriors and reowned for their fearsome reputation and horsemanship they all easily got wiped out by Napoleons army when he invaded Ottoman Egypt.

Lets not forget the Samurai while we are at it.

Scott Summers

Contributor
Reactions
2 736
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Last edited:

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
90 8,842
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh

I mean, we are not even surprised. This is how intelligence structure in current inter-national set up operates. It spies on foes and friends alike. Besides, recent advances in relevant technologies coupled with intelligence friendly environment of ever more connected (digitally and physically) globalized world, made it impossible to hide most things.

Today there are hardly opportunities for big surprises. (Unless you have complete overmatch. Like Israel has against Hezbullah) Generally speaking, everyone knows everything. So one barely takes it all. Hence, the measurement of success is in the details and relativity. And there lies today's competition, if you get 55%-66% out of something, that is a relative success.

Obviously, I don't have first hand insider experience of how intelligence institutions works nationally and internationally, but what I gathered from my very incomplete understanding, is that they try to compensate for this exposure and vulnerability of today's globalized environment in several ways.

One is by leveraging 'uncertainty' stemming from your own inter-institutuonal processes and dynamcis. 'In order to confuse your enemy you must confuse yourself first' may sound like a silly joke, but this is actually party effective way to operate today. Adversary cannot know or predict our end goal with required accuracy (in time) because we/our own elements individually don't know it themselves till the end. Determining the final outward approach in each case is a contstant struggle between our own various fractions, institutions of the state and the leadership, (assuming there is proper separation of power.) Whoever comes out at the top, his version is expressed in the end. And the reason you can actually leverage this uncertainty to a degree, is because you are more involved and intertwined with your own system and institutions than your adversary.

(Centraliazed top-down autocratic approach may appear efficient, but is is also brittle and exposed. Decentralized processes of democratic states are messy and slow but more resilient.)

This is true alike for intelligence and diplomatic community. There is an excellent quote by Henry Kissinger on US foreign policy that summarizes what I am talking about very well. (Unfortunately I forgot it)

Another way, is to make the adversary race against time. See, today adversary's problem is not always that it doesn't have enough information on you, rather it may has too much of it. And they have to make sense of it fast enough to react in time.

When this coupled with the 'uncertainty' that we just talked about, you may get a small window of opportunity for you to get slight majority out of something in your advantage. Because adversary will also figure out the whole picture pretty soon. (As I said, today everything is like an open book. So one barely takes it all. And the measurement of success is in the details.)

Before the digital revolution, the art of spying was about keeping the adversary in the dark. It doesn't know where you are let alone what you are doing.

Today concealment is a nearly impossible. So it is mostly about deception, you operate in ever increasing grey zones. Adversary will see you there, and know that you are up to something, just not obvious enough what it is. (in time)

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
102 18,727
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
An Iranian woman named Masoumeh Karbasi and her Lebanese husband, Dr. Reza Awaza, were assassinated in the city of Jounieh, north of Beirut, after being targeted by an Israeli drone strike.

It still unclear who this Iranian woman is, as there is still no detailed information about her or the circumstances surrounding her assassination with her husband today.

TR_123456

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom