Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,848
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Hurjet another example, mostly composite in it's production - KAI T-50 & the more recent Boeing T-7A Red Hawk are using 3rd gen Aluminium skins on their aircrafts.
Well if composite isn't a requirement for 4++ gen fighter and Korea can build it faster this way, why not?

Windchime

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
22 1,276
Nation of residence
Poland
Nation of origin
South Korea
Is S.Korea going to setup a fabrication facility for composite production for the Block 3
You don't even know about this but was jumping to conclusions in the MMU thread purely based on merely two pictures? Are you clowning yourself? It's baffling how clear your intentions are, that again with false claims, in denouncing other countries in order to fulfill your Turkish nationalist pride.

I_Love_F16

Contributor
France Correspondent
Reactions
10 1,520
Nation of residence
France
Nation of origin
France
You don't even know about this but was jumping to conclusions in the MMU thread purely based on merely two pictures? Are you clowning yourself? It's baffling how clear your intentions are, that again with false claims, in denouncing other countries in order to fulfill your Turkish nationalist pride.

Dude it’s better to ignore some people than to answer and pollute the thread. Use the report button, and I’m sure the staff will do their work. Just my two cent.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,739
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
KF-21 is f'ing beautiful. I don't get why people are bothering with what generation it belongs to. if KF-21 is better than Gripen or F16 VII then it's fucking good enough for the purpose it was made.

I'm curious on whether SK will have a wingman type drone or if KF-21 is going to be as is.

Also there is no demotion. A mod is to have proper conduct, even if you want to get into discussions and such. Sometimes it's hard to not get into heated debates. Best option is to step down to have the freedom to join the tussle. :)

Chocopie

Contributor
South Korea Correspondent
Reactions
33 1,924
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
KF-21 is f'ing beautiful. I don't get why people are bothering with what generation it belongs to. if KF-21 is better than Gripen or F16 VII then it's fucking good enough for the purpose it was made.

I'm curious on whether SK will have a wingman type drone or if KF-21 is going to be as is.

Also there is no demotion. A mod is to have proper conduct, even if you want to get into discussions and such. Sometimes it's hard to not get into heated debates. Best option is to step down to have the freedom to join the tussle. :)
Plans are to develop different stealthy wingman drones (3-4 for every KF-21) with specified roles. Korean Air Aerospace got an official assignment. They already tested a technology demonstrator for Kaori-X a few years ago.

For a good overview:
Notice: Japanese source, so point of view from our „enemy“ ;)

Promo-Clip: watch at 0:58 min.

Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Perfectly fine reaction from @Windchime

That Combat-Master guy was a „moderator“ who started an unprovoked flame-bait post. The first troll mod I‘ve seen on a defense forum … think he got demoted for good reasons. No class, no respect.

Actually never wanted the Mod tittle, it was thrown upon me as the forum was new - the only reason I used the moderation tool was to adjust threads. It's funny how a "new" account such as yours is able to pull crap up, who's second or third account are you - man up.

Windchime

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
22 1,276
Nation of residence
Poland
Nation of origin
South Korea
Dude it’s better to ignore some people than to answer and pollute the thread. Use the report button, and I’m sure the staff will do their work. Just my two cent.
I'm the Korea section mod and for the most part I will not delete individual posts as long as they are on topic. Of course individual cases are different and I will react accordingly, especially if I determine that behaviors are near that of trolling, but I'm not really into censoring people.

Perfectly fine reaction from @Windchime

That Combat-Master guy was a „moderator“ who started an unprovoked flame-bait post. The first troll mod I‘ve seen on a defense forum … think he got demoted for good reasons. No class, no respect.
Actually never wanted the Mod tittle, it was thrown upon me as the forum was new - the only reason I used the moderation tool was to adjust threads. It's funny how a "new" account such as yours is able to pull crap up, who's second or third account are you - man up.
Okay enough, I myself and you two. I have my opinions about your attitude in the MMU thread and so will you, but that's a separate matter now. I'm going to be very strict about if the posts are on-topic or not and this is a KF-21 thread. If your dissatisfaction with the moderation urges you to complain, you could call me out on Feedback & Suggestions section and continue over there. Also if any of you report the other, I will not get myself involved for the sake of fairness and neutrality but will instead ask for other mods' opinions.

Now please focus on KF-X

Last edited:

Windchime

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
22 1,276
Nation of residence
Poland
Nation of origin
South Korea
Is S.Korea going to setup a fabrication facility for composite production for the Block 3
Remains unanswered.

Why wait for block 3 if KAI already has dedicated composite structure manufacturing facility built in 2016, an expansion to their pre-existing composite structure capabilities. They are currently involved in various international composite structure program, including that of 787 wing center and A350XWB wing box since the 2000s, that all with automated processes like AFP. They are the only Asian supplier with design certification and approval rights for the A350XWB wing box as well. Also, they've already been applying composite structures on T-50, although small in numbers and were not load-bearing sections.

For KF-21 they are manufacturing the wings as well as the fuselage with composites already, some with OOA techniques like RI and RFI. They are planning to expand the composite structure application. They are also planning to apply co-bonded RAM to the wing surface composite and eventually co-curing of RAM and wing surface pre-pregs.

This time I've spoon-fed you every single information but from next time onwards you will need to search them yourself. That especially if you are trying to make groundless claims with malicious intents. I will not be as tolerant the next time around.

Chocopie

Contributor
Reactions
33 1,924
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
AFP
61EE77C5-0881-4CA5-872F-4306584BD77F.png

From a well informed Korean defense blogger Sheldon‘s Military Blog (paid content):

A translated copy of his extensive article about KF-X development can be found here:
http://www.strategicfront.org/forums/threads/kai-kf-21-boramae-project-kf-x.4479/post-194842

Rodeo

Contributor
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
30 4,749
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
1. What's the production rate target for KF-21?

2. How much time does one fighter spends on the final assembly line?

3. How much do I have to pay to buy one?

Last edited:

urban mine

Committed member
Reactions
10 419
Nation of residence
South Korea
Nation of origin
South Korea

2. How much time does one fighter spends on the final assembly line?

3. How much do I have to pay to buy one?

I think we'll only know once it's actually in production, but we could make some educated guess from the production capabilities of the FA-50. The KAI plant in Sacheon produces the T-50 series at its fixed-wing plant. Currently eight units are being assembled simultaneously from two production lines inside this plant, though it isn't specified how many production lines there are. There's at least three since the KF-21 prototypes are being assembled in one of those lines as well.

According to the officials, theoretically, if all lines and capabilities are used, one unit can be produced in four days. For the production time of a single plane, it is said that the whole process, including fuselage assembly - internal wiring work - engine assembly - engine run - painting - test flight, takes about 30 months for T-50 variants. However, there are other planes being manufactured in the same plant, one of which being FA-50PL that will still be produced after 2026 and will be produced alongside KF-21. Also FA-50 and KF-21 are not the same, requiring different production time.

As for KF-21, I heard that they will deliver 40 aircrafts between 2026-2028 according to the official schedule and you could deduce the yearly production rate based on those numbers. We have no choice but to get these planes as fast as we can and the schedule must be completed before the KF-5,F-4E kills more pilots.

How much is the flyaway cost? Optimistically, the price of KF-21 should be kept at around $60 million. That's the figure given by KAI and DAPA, but these days the price of any aircraft is going up day by day and I'm not sure if Indonesia will really buy 50. There's a possibility of them buying less than 50 aircraft or not buy altogether. But that's the goal. We have to keep the $60 million mark. I think that's the only way to be competitive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chocopie

Contributor
Reactions
33 1,924
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
KAI will also expand their existing facilities with a new smart factory. Digitalization and high automatization will speed up fixed-wing production.

Last estimated unit price of KF-21 was around $ 65 mil., but that was before rise of inflation. And if Indonesia bails out of assembling 48 IFX (high likely, they didn‘t invest in their own production facilities, totally behind schedule) the unit price will be higher.

Windchime

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
22 1,276
Nation of residence
Poland
Nation of origin
South Korea
Currently eight units are being assembled simultaneously from two production lines inside this plant, though it isn't specified how many production lines there are. There's at least three since the KF-21 prototypes are being assembled in one of those lines as well.

According to the officials, theoretically, if all lines and capabilities are used, one unit can be produced in four days. For the production time of a single plane, it is said that the whole process, including fuselage assembly - internal wiring work - engine assembly - engine run - painting - test flight, takes about 30 months for T-50 variants. However, there are other planes being manufactured in the same plant, one of which being FA-50PL that will still be produced after 2026 and will be produced alongside KF-21.

Add to that, KAI can manufacture 5 TA-50s a month from the two production lines they have assigned for the T-50 variant production. So that's 60 aircrafts a year from two lines. KF-21 will certainly take longer than that, but current plans are to deliver 80 aircrafts within 4 years, which means 20 per year. Add to that, KAI would've prepared to manufacture parts and fuselage for the Indonesian Air Force while they were committed, which means there's still a headroom to grow. Also, KAI's production lines are modular and reconfigurable, which means they could transition from one aircraft type to another based on orders/demands.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom