Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
22 1,271
Nation of residence
Poland
Nation of origin
South Korea
I have a question for our Korean members. What kind of material is used on the skin of the aircraft? Does it use CFRP composites with radar absorbent qualities like the F-35 or metals like aluminium, steel, titanium?
Yup, CFRP/GFRP, mainly carbon epoxy but lately I've heard that some parts are manufactured with cabon BMI. As for the RAM, they are using film type RAM for the skins and are trying cocuring and OOA techniques of prepregs of RAM with the leading edge structures to manufacture RAS.

Last edited:

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,781
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Why making it even newsworthy, how about keeping your mouth shut, moron?! President Yoon, the dumbest of all time.

South Korea Now Openly Discussing Arming Itself With Nuclear Weapon​

Tactical warhead capable Boramae, LET'S GOOOOO!!!

Chocopie

Contributor
South Korea Correspondent
Reactions
31 1,914
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea

Korea's KF-21 fighter jet succeeds in maiden supersonic flight​

January. 17. 2023
National2023-01-17 18:53

optimize
This photo shows the prototype of the KF-21 Boramae surpassing Mach 1 during a flight, Tuesday. Courtesy of DAPA
By Kang Seung-woo

The KF-21 Boramae, the nation's first domestically developed fighter jet, successfully flew at supersonic speeds for the first time, Tuesday, the state arms procurement agency said.

Securing supersonic capability is a major part of the project as it means key functions work smoothly irrespective of flight speeds.

According to the Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA), the prototype of the 4.5-generation fighter jet surpassed Mach 1 at an altitude of 40,000 feet at 3:15 p.m. after it took off at the third Flying Training Wing of the Air Force in Sacheon, South Gyeongsang Province at 2:58 p.m. The warplane landed at 3:54 p.m. after flying over the country's southern waters.

Since its maiden flight in July 2022, three prototypes of the aircraft, manufactured by Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI), have flown over 80 times at speeds of less than Mach 1. KAI produced six prototypes and the third successfully conducted its first flight earlier this month.

DAPA said the supersonic flight has two important implications in terms of the research and development of the aircraft.

"First, the flight confirmed that the KF-21 has structural stability at supersonic speeds," it said.

According to DAPA, when an aircraft exceeds Mach 1, shock waves occur in the plane and the unstable surrounding airflow can have a significant impact on the structural integrity of the jet.

"The KF-21's normal flight that overcame shock waves shows its structural stability can be maintained at supersonic speeds," it added.

The other achievement is that the KF-21 has become the first domestically developed aircraft to reach supersonic speeds.

"In the past, the KAI T-50 Golden Eagle exceeded Mach 1 in 2003, but the supersonic trainer was co-developed with U.S. Lockheed Martin using some of the U.S. firm's technologies, which is different from the KF-21's supersonic flight," it said.

"Korea now has a supersonic aircraft developed with domestic technologies."

optimize
The first prototype of the KF-21 Boramae flies over Sacheon, South Gyeongsang Province, Tuesday. The Defense Acquisition Program Administration said the fighter jet surpassed Mach 1 during the flight. Courtesy of DAPA

With the supersonic breakthrough of the KF-21, Korea has an aircraft developed with domestic technology that can fly faster than the speed of sound.

Defense Minister Lee Jong-sup hailed the development as a historic feat.

"Through the success of the supersonic flight, our military further solidified the foundation to construct a robust fighting force based on science and technology," Lee was quoted by DAPA as saying.

"We also took one step further to the goal of becoming the world's fourth largest defense exporter."

The KF-21 project, formerly known as KF-X, which was aimed at manufacturing a fighter plane with higher capabilities than a KF-16 fighter, was initiated in March 2001 by late President Kim Dae-jung. The Air Force plans to secure 120 advanced multi-role fighter jets by 2032 to replace its aging fleet of F-4s and F-5s under the project.

Korea and Indonesia signed a deal in 2010 to cooperate on the project, under which Jakarta would fund 20 percent of the total development cost of 8.8 trillion won ($7.1 billion), in exchange for a number of planes that would be manufactured there for the Indonesian Air Force, as well as for technology transfer.

Last edited:

Chocopie

Contributor
Reactions
31 1,914
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
Another clip of KF-21 supersonic test flight. Mach 1.05 with afterburner at 40,000 feet high altitude carrying 4 Meteor dummies (~760 kg) under belly. Tailed by KF-16U double-seat fighter aircraft.

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,781
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Why these prototypes always carrying 4 meteors?

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,781
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Another clip of KF-21 supersonic test flight. Mach 1.05 with afterburner at 40,000 feet high altitude carrying 4 Meteor dummies (~760 kg) under belly. Tailed by KF-16U double-seat fighter aircraft.

Speed dropping bellow mach 1 after afterburner turned off. So it's not Super cruise capable?

Chocopie

Contributor
Reactions
31 1,914
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
They‘ll make 2.000 test flights. With and without missiles I guess.

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,781
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Possible of integration of Safran Hammer to TA50 and Indonesian Boramae

"The Safran Group also guarantees AASM-HAMMER compatibility on the T-50 and KFX/IFX aircraft made jointly by PTDI and KAI and hopes to be installed as part of the Rafale Fighter Jet armament."

Isbara

Reactions
2 104
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Very nice.
Tests are going on with a good pace.

We have accelerated our TFX programme too. I wish neither of us fail our projects and we see those beuties in the inventory of our air forces. And may be in an exvercise together. :)

Last edited:

urban mine

Committed member
Reactions
10 415
Nation of residence
South Korea
Nation of origin
South Korea
(Personally, I think "Pro Pilot" is a reliable Korean YouTube channel in the defense sector because it delivers accurate and interesting information to the public through interviews with experts, unlike other idiots.)

Today's "Pro Pilot" interviewed Angie Elimar Siagian SH of KKIP about the outlook of KFX/IFX. I first learned about the existence and role of KKIP, and it was interesting to see how Indonesians view KFX/IFX.(Before the interview, he said that this was his personal opinion.)

To sum up,

-The KFX/IFX program is one of the important cooperation between the two countries, and the relationship between Korea and Indonesia is already a strategic partnership, and cooperation is taking place not only in the defense sector but also in other economic sectors.

-However, cooperation is becoming more important due to the economic crisis caused by the COVID-19 pandemic and the loss of Indonesian engineers, and I think Indonesian companies should participate more. Broader cooperation is needed than some production of fighter wings and slots in charge of Indonesia.

- The issue of technology transfer and contribution, which is controversial in Korea, is already being discussed at the government level, so there is no big problem.

- The problem with the KFX/IFX program is that the economy is limited in size. First of all, there are no participating countries except Korea and Indonesia. In Korea, more than 800 companies participated, creating 120,000 jobs, but in Indonesia, there is only one PTDi.
Think of the JSF program. Eight countries participated and were already scheduled to sell to three countries before completion. There is a lot of job creation on top of that.

- Will 4.5th generation fighter jets like KFX/IFX be competitive in the future market? It can be attractive for countries that do not have 5th generation fighter jets such as the F-35. However, since 5th generation fighter jets can become common in the 2030s, it is necessary to develop 5th generation fighter jets, and for this, it is necessary to carry out a UAV development program that both countries can operate in connection with KFX/IFX.

Last edited:

Windchime

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
22 1,271
Nation of residence
Poland
Nation of origin
South Korea
The problem with the KFX/IFX program is that the economy is limited in size. First of all, there are no participating countries except Korea and Indonesia. In Korea, more than 800 companies participated, creating 120,000 jobs, but in Indonesia, there is only one PTDi.
Think of the JSF program. Eight countries participated and were already scheduled to sell to three countries before completion. There is a lot of job creation on top of that.

- Will 4.5th generation fighter jets like KFX/IFX be competitive in the future market? It can be attractive for countries that do not have 5th generation fighter jets such as the F-35. However, since 5th generation fighter jets can become common in the 2030s, it is necessary to develop 5th generation fighter jets, and for this, it is necessary to carry out a UAV development program that both countries can operate in connection with KFX/IFX.
You've excluded a very important bit. The interviewee is mentioning uncertain economical benefits of the KF-X/IF-X program in sense as a reason for Indonesian hesitation for a full commitment to the KF-X/IF-X program. This is a deeply flawed approach as a program partner if you ask me. As I've mentioned before, a program partner in a program like KF-X is a risk and revenue sharing partner. They should levy the costs and risks stemming from the uncertainties of a R&D program and as a return gain revenue when the program enters commercialization/production phase. In case of KF-X the "return" stretches beyond just revenues.

Now, what this interviewee is saying is the direct opposite. He wants a concrete answer of commercial profitability of KF-X as a prerequisite for Indonesian commitment. You can always get a good estimate and expectations of how the program will proceed but anything beyond that is just unrealistic. If you don't want to hedge the uncertainties, then you are not a suitable partner. Couple that with his claims that Indonesia should demand more industry participation, it really is worrying if this is what the Indonesian officials are thinking concerning the program.

urban mine

Committed member
Reactions
10 415
Nation of residence
South Korea
Nation of origin
South Korea
You've excluded a very important bit. The interviewee is mentioning uncertain economical benefits of the KF-X/IF-X program in sense as a reason for Indonesian hesitation for a full commitment to the KF-X/IF-X program. This is a deeply flawed approach as a program partner if you ask me. As I've mentioned before, a program partner in a program like KF-X is a risk and revenue sharing partner. They should levy the costs and risks stemming from the uncertainties of a R&D program and as a return gain revenue when the program enters commercialization/production phase. In case of KF-X the "return" stretches beyond just revenues.

Now, what this interviewee is saying is the direct opposite. He wants a concrete answer of commercial profitability of KF-X as a prerequisite for Indonesian commitment. You can always get a good estimate and expectations of how the program will proceed but anything beyond that is just unrealistic. If you don't want to hedge the uncertainties, then you are not a suitable partner. Couple that with his claims that Indonesia should demand more industry participation, it really is worrying if this is what the Indonesian officials are thinking concerning the program.
Wasn't it already a buzz at the Indonesian Air Force forum? That kind of thinking is so familiar to me that it's not worth discussing. (But I think you already know that I agree 100% with you. Because all Koreans have that idea.)

Before the interview, he said this was his personal opinion, but I think it is meaningful because it was refreshing to hear the opinions of Indonesian officials on Korean YouTube channels. I wonder how much authority he has in KKIP and how influential he is.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom