DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,378
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
That being said, L2 has similar flaws as the t-series with the ammunition being exposed.

Not true, L2 has rear and seperate munition compartment as well as blow out panel like all western design.

While, in T-series Crews sits on top of the ammunition. Which makes turret Super cruise from time to time when hit by ATGW.

Last edited:

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
10 9,114
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
Not true, L2 has rear and seperate munition compartment as well as blow out panel like all western design.

While, in T-series Crews sits on top of the ammunition. Which makes turret Super cruise from time to time when hit by ATGW.
L2 also has a 2nd ammo storage in the front of the hull, which will also send the crew super cruising.

Turkiye suffered such an event during their operation on Afrin.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,376
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

Brahh.

main-qimg-4849187ac3449ee25105c6a74cdbdd7d-lq

Here's a blown TSK Leo 2A4. Tank shattered right where they stored the hull ammo (left front). After being hit by TOW

main-qimg-002a2bd1dbe65793d71f7fe0bee391b4-lq

Tbh M1 Abrams also has hull ammo storage but according to some warthunder guys, they no longer use that hull bunker to store munitions, replacing it as crew personal storage

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,378
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Last edited:

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
10 9,114
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
Oh hello! That is Weird.

Do A6/7/8 also uses similar interior layout?
To my knowledge, yes for A6 and A7.

this is how exposed the crew is.
1686399342329.jpeg

Any mediocre munition will penetrate and lead to a massive explosion.

L2 is as big of an overhyped piece of trash as the t-series. Of course, we knew it after its performance in actual combat during Turkiye’s intervention against ISIS. It is so shit that Turkiye prefers upgraded M60’s

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,378
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
To my knowledge, yes for A6 and A7.

this is how exposed the crew is.
View attachment 58210
Any mediocre munition will penetrate and lead to a massive explosion.

It seems to be the most protected place. (being just behind the frontal armor)

However, any hit from sides or top would be catastrophic.

That is why APS is crucial addition for A7/8.

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
10 9,114
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan

L2 A4 in Afrin. (nevermind the title and stupid PKK terrorist). The explosion is beyond any T-series.

Any penetration from front, side, above or beneath can be fatal.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,378
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
L2 A4 in Afrin. (nevermind the title and stupid PKK terrorist). The explosion is beyond any T-series.

Any penetration from front, side, above or beneath can be fatal.

Yeah, I saw that video before.

However, any penetration in the hull is fatal for Crews anyway.

I guess that is also another reason they put it behind the front armor.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,376
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

Actually the design of hull ammo storage isn't that alien to begin with, yeah its dangerous but tanks are designed with compromise. I wouldn't say its a native weakness to the Leo as many tanks of similar generation uses hull ammo bunker which if hit and explode would make little difference.

Abrams.

WHATTHEFUCKISTHAT.png.571205091dd03d9ae488a2295b446417.png

Leclerc

amx-56_leclerc_main_battle_tank_cutaway.jpg

Altay

602ciyf.jpg

Leo 2 (A6 variant has 2 less ammo round in the hull as A4, but config remains the same)

FmT1aBjXwAAU8Xf.jpg

Ariete
E0TSAc8XoAQ6pyJ.jpg

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,378
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Actually the design of hull ammo storage isn't that alien to begin with, yeah its dangerous but tanks are designed with compromise. I wouldn't say its a native weakness to the Leo as many tanks of similar generation uses hull ammo bunker which if hit and explode would make little difference.

Abrams.

WHATTHEFUCKISTHAT.png.571205091dd03d9ae488a2295b446417.png

Leclerc

amx-56_leclerc_main_battle_tank_cutaway.jpg

Altay

602ciyf.jpg

Leo 2 (A6 variant has 2 less ammo round in the hull as A4, but config remains the same)

FmT1aBjXwAAU8Xf.jpg

Ariete
E0TSAc8XoAQ6pyJ.jpg

I guess many didn't notice becaise they usually don't get blown away like T-series, as the compartment behind the front armor is the most protected place.

However, if something penetrate the hull Crews are usually dead anyway. (APFSDS creats deadly Shockwave)
So I guess at that point it doesn't matter that much if hull gets shattered or not.

But if turret gets penetrated, blow-out panels gives a chance for Crews to live. (Not always)

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,376
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
I guess many didn't notice becaise they usually don't get blown away like T-series, as the compartment behind the front armor is the most protected place.

However, if something penetrate the hull Crews are usually dead anyway. (APFSDS creats deadly Shockwave)
So I guess at that point it doesn't matter that much if hull gets shattered or not.

But if turret gets penetrated, blow-out panels gives a chance for Crews to live. (Not always)

Here's the point, if penetrated, Western tanks does have a higher possibility that its crew (which is more important than the hull) exit the tanks unharmed, we've seen how blow out panels saved Iraqi Abrams crewmen in Iraq (2015). It will not always worked, but some will work.

Also many people has not realized that nowadays the West are increasingly fielding insensitive munitions (IM) which would not detonate as easily as traditional explosive rounds.

Status
Qualified in Leopard 2 and M1. The round is in service in several countries.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,378
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Here's the point, if penetrated, Western tanks does have a higher possibility that its crew (which is more important than the hull) exit the tanks unharmed, we've seen how blow out panels saved Iraqi Abrams crewmen in Iraq (2015). It will not always worked, but some will work.

You are talking about this?

Looks like it hit the ammunition compartment, (not the crew)
Otherwise, hypersonic jet stream of shaped charge will go through the human flesh like hot knife through butter.

Last edited:

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,378
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Quality of German tanks are a myth. We (battle) prove then. They are by far not the best.

You are talking about leopard from 1990s (A4) while I am talking about the one from 2020s (A8)

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,837
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
You are talking about leopard from 1990s (A4) while I am talking about the one from 2020s (A8)

Yes, but same was said about 2A4 in the past. You have to prove such systems on the battlefield. Without doing that, you can’t say, it is the best.
One reason why German weapons were the best are, they proved it on two big wars.

AzeriTank

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,760
Nation of residence
Azerbaijan
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
Oh man, it really looks like I am living rent-free in your head.😅

Anyway, turret of destroyed leo2a6 didn't almost reached the space. It was right where i supposed to be. (Still attached to the chesis.)

View attachment 58203

Then again, you couldn't comprehend.

I am talking about Leopard-2 A8 which has considerable improvements over Leopard-2 A6.

And what do you expect exactly?
Irrespective of who produced it, no contemporary tank on earth would have survive a heavy 152/155mm round hit. Leopard 2 is no exception.

Being best does not necessarily means invincible. In any offensive and counter-offensiv, heavy and sophisticated equipment losses are quite normal.

@Gary said, Abrams (probably A2 SEPv4) would fit the description of being the best.

Then again, there are photos of Abrams burning.

But that does not necessarily disprove his claim.
A drone with 3kg warhead go through its armor, it must be the best)

Here is the world record)

Keep acting like you didnt see these, plus new kamikaze drones hunting leo2 tanks)

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom