Lhasa new international airport in Tibet, T3 nearing completion, one of the highest international airports in the world

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
Lhasa new international airport in Tibet, T3 nearing completion, one of the highest international airports in the world, over 3500 meters above the sea level

The construction was started in 2017, cost is 4 billion Yuan (625 million USD), the new airport will be put into use next month. The new airport is going to be connected to Lhasa city by newly built express way.

This new airport is very eco friendly, all the lights in the airport can automatically adjust their brightness based on how much sunlight coming into the airport, it's also a highly smart airport which streamlines every process and brings the utmost convenience to the passengers.

Last edited by a moderator:

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
High speed railway and bullet trains will be in operation the end of this month, new international airport put into use next month.... development in Tibet is like crazy...

shanlung

Nation of residence
Singapore
Nation of origin
Singapore
Incredible!
A different world from the Tibet I known and that airport I took off from.
I am happy I wrote that down or I would have forgotten about those details by now 40 years later.

brief extract of that relevant part

It was time to leave Lhasa for the flight to Chengdu in Szechuan province. The bus took us in late afternoon to the military airport a couple hours away.

The flight was in early morning. Lhasa was not a city of bright lights. The airport a couple hours away from Lhasa gave us the most incredible view of the moonless night sky. The sky was velvet black. Strewned and sprinkled with thousands upon thousands of diamonds and stardust. The 'normal' constellations could not be recognised as so many more thousands of stars shined. The Milky way was an immense band of light. I could easily read a book from the starlight. we both lie on the ground and just took in the wonders of that nightsky.

In time some officials came to us. Lying down on the tarmac of an airport runway was not encouraged even if that gave the best view of the stars above. It was getting colder too. We took off an hour before dawn. When the sun came up , it was stunning to see the mountains and plateau of Tibet below us. In crystal clear atmosphere without any clouds, I pressed my nose to the window and soaked in all I could see. Then far away, the edge appeared in a sea of clouds. The plane descended and we were back into the murk of the world we left behind. And touched down in Chengdu.

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
The largest airport terminal in China's Tibet began operation on Saturday after more than three years of construction.

Follow us on social media

Latest posts

Top Bottom