"Medical" question for army

Johnnyjones

Reactions
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Australia
Hey all,

So recently did my YOU session, only one hiccup and that was the fact i'm allergic to chlorhexidine. The doctor said if i'm highly allergic to it then I probably won't be aloud in. I got tested for it last year and i'm "anaphylactic" to it but only if it goes in my mouth/down my throat. Which it shouldn't be going in my mouth/throat anyway as it's a disinfectant. If I get it on my skin it's just itchy like a mozzie bite. Anyone had a situation like this before? will be quite disappointed if I don't get let in because of it.. Thanks for hearing the rant lol

Mis_TR_Like

Contributor
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
25 4,890
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
Hey all,

So recently did my YOU session, only one hiccup and that was the fact i'm allergic to chlorhexidine. The doctor said if i'm highly allergic to it then I probably won't be aloud in. I got tested for it last year and i'm "anaphylactic" to it but only if it goes in my mouth/down my throat. Which it shouldn't be going in my mouth/throat anyway as it's a disinfectant. If I get it on my skin it's just itchy like a mozzie bite. Anyone had a situation like this before? will be quite disappointed if I don't get let in because of it.. Thanks for hearing the rant lol

Because the effects are minor when skin is exposed to it, I doubt it would cause a major issue. If everything else in your "YOU session" went well you should have no trouble getting through. However, if chlorhexidine is commonly used for ADF health procedures then it could be a problem.

Here is the ADF's official stance on allergies: "Allergic reactions to food, medications, bites, stings and other significant allergies are of concern to the ADF. The severity of the reaction is the most important factor, and as the severity of reactions vary from mild to life threatening a detailed history will be required. If you are fit to progress through the recruiting process, you may be required to provide supporting medical documentation on your allergy and treatment requirements. You will be advised of the need for this after you have been assessed by a doctor on Assessment Day."

Good luck, I hope you get accepted. If not, just know that many people get rejected over minor things such as acne. It's not a personal thing, but I can understand that getting rejected is painful. If they do reject you, there are other jobs with less medical requirements that can also provide a fulfilling career such as Security Armed Guard/CIT.

Follow us on social media

Latest posts

Top Bottom