Reactions
11 2,741
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
"May ALLAH not Destroy our marriage"??
What is that supposed to do with Tolun?
It's just terrible auto-caption translation, what he actually says more or less comes may Allah protect our government. Probably something that guy always says, with the Islamist name and whatnot.

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,741
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
qn-20.jpg

This is apparently China's new miniature missile, equivalent of Roketsan's Mete. That there is a launcher that can be carried by a soldier in a backpack, which I think is brilliant and I hope Roketsan will work on something similar as well. A missile as small as this really needs a multiple launcher.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
59 7,513
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Between 26-30 November 2023, 25 more L-UMTAS-Tandem missiles produced by Roketsan were delivered to the Turkish Armed Forces.
I actually like these kind of announcements. It only says that there is active production. No mention of past deliveries, no mention of if this is a new or ongoing deal, no mention of the total in stock and no mention of the production speed. If they are building them at the same speed year around, it would mean 2300 missiles.

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,741
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
My understanding of Turkish is not very good,did it say it can use different warheads at 0:44?
What are they,other than the thermobaric one?
It has 3 options: Tandem anti-tank, thermobaric and high explosive fragmentation warhead.

Ahmad

Reactions
2 247
Nation of residence
Pakistan
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Did Türkiye has something similar to ATACMS missile in inventory

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
112 14,725
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think the closest missile would be Bora (Khan), but i am not an expert.
The animated video gives a very good approximation of how the logistics of a 300km range ATACMS missile work.
There are few important points that are intentionally omitted. ATACMS is essentially a short range quasi ballistic tactical missile. What makes it deadly is it’s capability to manoeuvre many times at random, in sideways as well as upwards and downwards, changing it’s course, making it very difficult. to track. It is also smaller than the comparable tactical missiles like Bora and Iskander/Kinzhal. Making it even more difficult to track.
Our Bora missile is the one that is closest to it. But we don’t know if Bora manoeuvres like ATACMS. The Russian missile Iskander manoeuvres. Chinese copied Iskander. We know that the origins of Bora is related to the Chinese missile. So logic dictates that Bora should manoeuvre as well.

The PrSM , Precision Strike Missile is a new missile being developed by LM of US which has recently been given the go ahead for serial production. This is a 500km range version of the ATACMS with a few more bells and whistles. As it is a new missile, not much is given away in terms of specifics apart from it’s range and being compatible with Himars launchers.
Our Tayfun can be the closest one to this missile. Yet we know that Tayfun can go longer than the 561 km range it demonstrated. (There are claims that it is a 800+ km missile even close to 1000km) . Although not disclosed, Tayfun is expected to hit moving sea targets too.

US has been slow in the development of the tactical ballistic missiles. But the success of their HIMARS in Ukraine has been a wake up call.

Edit:
We do have a battery of ATACMS Block 1A with 300km range in stock with over a hundred missiles. But these missiles have shelf life. They were purchased just before 2000. If not replenished they will be no good now.

Last edited:

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,381
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
The animated video gives a very good approximation of how the logistics of a 300km range ATACMS missile work.
There are few important points that are intentionally omitted. ATACMS is essentially a short range quasi ballistic tactical missile. What makes it deadly is it’s capability to manoeuvre many times at random, in sideways as well as upwards and downwards, changing it’s course, making it very difficult. to track. It is also smaller than the comparable tactical missiles like Bora and Iskander/Kinzhal. Making it even more difficult to track.
Our Bora missile is the one that is closest to it. But we don’t know if Bora manoeuvres like ATACMS. The Russian missile Iskander manoeuvres. Chinese copied Iskander. We know that the origins of Bora is related to the Chinese missile. So logic dictates that Bora should manoeuvre as well.

The PrSM , Precision Strike Missile is a new missile being developed by LM of US which has recently been given the go ahead for serial production. This is a 500km range version of the ATACMS with a few more bells and whistles. As it is a new missile, not much is given away in terms of specifics apart from it’s range and being compatible with Himars launchers.
Our Tayfun can be the closest one to this missile. Yet we know that Tayfun can go longer than the 561 km range it demonstrated. (There are claims that it is a 800+ km missile even close to 1000km) . Although not disclosed, Tayfun is expected to hit moving sea targets too.

US has been slow in the development of the tactical ballistic missiles. But the success of their HIMARS in Ukraine has been a wake up call.

Edit:
We do have a battery of ATACMS Block 1A with 300km range in stock with over a hundred missiles. But these missiles have shelf life. They were purchased just before 2000. If not replenished they will be no good now.

Just to add, it is understood that given USA has withdrew from intermediate range nuclear force treaty in 2019 PrSM will be able go farther. (Reportedly, up to 650km)

Also, next variant of PrSM could have Ramjet propulsion with 1000km range. Which I think is a brilliant idea that Türkiye should also explore after GOKHAN and AKBABA.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
59 7,513
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
In the same vein, M270s we have are near 30 year old now. There are only 12 of them and to my knowledge they were never raised to A1 level after 2005-6 update was started. Turkey originally wanted a much bigger fleet and was also interested in joint development with US. I believe we even wanted ToT for ATACMS in 90s, but this didn't happen. So we went the local and Chinese route with Toros and then Sakarya. Are the M270s now even active? When was the last time you saw one? I don't remember seeing one in a parade or an exercise for years.

TR_123456

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
please dedicate a thread for small aerial drones too "
TR Anka - series | Kızılelma | TB - series | UAV/UCAV Programs" thread & "TF-X KAAN | F-16 Özgür | Hürjet | Hürkuş - Fighter & Trainer Aircraft Projects" thread
is becoming a mess too

You should open your first thread on the forum,why not start with the one dedicated to ''Small Aerial Drones''?

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom