Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,817
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
The Ministry of Defense, Bangladesh has declared new procurement plans for the Bangladesh Navy. The MoD plans to buy or build locally two off-shore patrol vessels (OPV), two mine counter measure vessels (MCMV), three landing craft tank (LCTs), three diving boats, one submarine support and rescue vessel, one logistic support ship, one ocean going tug vessel, one floating dry dock, one oil tanker, one oceanographic research vessel and one landing platform dock (LPD).

MoD also states that in future, BN will develop mine, torpedo, naval gun and construct an EW center. Previously PM Sheikh Hasina declared that BN will develop mine, torpedo and naval gun. In a video conference during 6th Defense Port Turkey in Bangladesh, an officer from Bangladesh Navy stated intention to induct LHD in BN's fleet.

PC- Defense Technology Bangladesh-DTB

1618985556036.png

Last edited:

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,020
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
It seems Indonesia can compete for LST, LPD, Oiler, ocean going tug vessels, floating dry dock and logistic support ship.

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,817
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
three landing craft tank (LCTs), three diving boats

I forgot i watched this video about KSY on January. These six vessels are already under construction.

1623082905370.png

Last edited:

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,680
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Turkish companies will certainly come up with generous offers for most of the procurement and local production projects.

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,817
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Any specs known of the LST or the Diving support boat?

LCT not LST. KSY's website isn't updated so nothing's available yet though construction started last year. Back in 2018, army issued a local tender for two Type-69 "Aparajeyo" class Landing Craft Tanks (LCT) for riverine and sea operations with secondary role for humanitarian and disaster relief operation though in 2015 it planned to built at least one roll-on/roll-off (ro-ro) LCT with foreign assistance.

"The selected shipbuilder must complete the construction at either the Khulna or Narayangonj shipyards," an official from state-owned Khulna Shipyard has told IHS Jane's on 6 August, 2015. According to the tender issued in 2018, the requirements for the LCT were:-

1. 15 days continuous at sea

2. Minimum length 65m and maximum 72m

3. 8 tanks with weight 50 tonnes

4. Eight tanks accommodation with each tank length,breath,height 9.76×3.66×3.20 respectively

5. Sustain at least sea state 4

6. Helipad for a Bell 212 helicopter or equivalent

7. 20 officers and plus 40 crews accommodation

8. For self defence: 4 or more 14.5mm anti aircraft guns for 360° coverage

9. Place for one artillery gun and its tower vehicle

10. All equipment should be from Type A country

Metacentre LTD designed a LCT under that tender which had a length of 70 meters and could accommodates 8 Main Battle Tank (MBT) and 300 troops. It had a helicopter landing pad for Mi-171sh helicopter. The website removed it so this photo is all i could find ⤵️

1623173445650.png

Before issuing this tender army awarded Western Marine Shipyard a contract to build two LCTs In 2017 but the shipyard missed the deadline and failed to deliver them. Those vessels had a length of 64 meters and could accommodate 8 MBTs and 200 troops including 40 officers. This design could be the same one by Metacentre LTD, notice the similarity on the starboard side ⤵️ .

So new three LCTs might have these specifications cause KSY can dock and undock vessels up to 700 tons lightweight and overall length of 84 meters. Maybe the design in the photo will finally see the light. Currently LCT Shakti Sanchar is the largest vessel in Bangladesh Army.

Diving boats may have these specifications:- http://metacentre.com.bd/32mdivingvessel.html
LCT Shakti Sanchar:- https://www.defseca.com/naval-systems/shakti-sanchar-landing-craft-tank/

1623174711954.png

Last edited:

Zapper

Experienced member
India Correspondent
Reactions
10 804
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
India
India can pretty much compete for all. Also, Kolkata's GRSE is one of India's leading and most productive shipyards building several surface ships for the IN and is in close proximity to BD easing training & logistical support...additionally Vizag's HSL and Chennai's L&T shipyards on our eastern coast could come in handy

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,817
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
I forgot i watched this video about KSY on January. These six vessels are already under construction.

View attachment 22408

Alright now i am confused. Documentary from November, 2020 reported that these boats are already under construction but navy signed the contract for the diving boats today. Now i am wondering if they really started the construction of those LCTs or not.

Micheal Corleone

Reactions
Nation of residence
Ukraine
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
India can pretty much compete for all. Also, Kolkata's GRSE is one of India's leading and most productive shipyards building several surface ships for the IN and is in close proximity to BD easing training & logistical support...additionally Vizag's HSL and Chennai's L&T shipyards on our eastern coast could come in handy
Bd will probably not buy anything from India for obvious reasons

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,817
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
three landing craft tank (LCTs), three diving boats

Three diving boats are under construction in KSY and tender issued for three landing craft tank (LCTs). Judging by the recent reports next could be OPV and MCMV.

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,817
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
So navy is looking buy second hand survey vessel and three Sandown class mine hunters from RN fleet. Navy wasn't specific but looks like the survey vessel is HMS Scott which is up for sale.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,304
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
@Isa Khan Either I read the Article too fast or it doesn't say anything like that.

Could you provide any source that, BD is interested in these vessels?

F-6 enthusiast

Reactions
1 595
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Bangladesh

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,817
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Bangladesh in negotiation for HMS Scott and three Sandown class.

So navy is looking buy second hand survey vessel and three Sandown class mine hunters from RN fleet. Navy wasn't specific but looks like the survey vessel is HMS Scott which is up for sale.

Totally forgot that i mentioned it here few months ago. Anyway that's was the initial report.

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,817
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Latest report only mentions HMS Scott. It's a good thing if govt not choose to buy old MCMVs. KSY can build them.

1678654522891.png

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,817
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom