Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,702
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
As far as I know, Korea also followed a strategy of step-by-step industrial indigenization until the 4th power plant and after that they started licensing domestic reactor designs. We have members from Korea on the forum and they can give much more detailed information on this subject, or correct me if I have a misunderstanding here. Korea is a very successful example of nuclear industrialization, which later joined the race, and I think the stages they went through in the past can be a good guide for us to understand the issue.

In terms of investments in Turkiye, I think the real progress will start with the 3rd plant. And I think it should be built in a way that we can learn from China, which has made great progress in using thorium in the energy cycle. Thorium-based reactors, and SMR on the other hand, could be strategic areas to be present in this field in the future.

I am very ignorant on this subject, I do not have a thorough knowledge, but with this narrow knowledge, I have the idea that the utilization of thorium in Small Modular Reactors can open a window for us to exist internationally in national nuclear energy engineering. We need to create nuclear energy infrastructure and workforce, national operating capability, and then gain competence in the type of reactors I mentioned, both of which are actually quite new areas in nuclear energy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
59 7,515
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
We hosted the delegation of Rolls-Royce Group and the Embassy of the United Kingdom in Ankara at our Ministry.

Nuclear energy has an important place in our new energy strategy for both our energy supply security and achieving the 2053 carbon neutrality target.

With their innovative design, modular structure and small size, we expect SMRs to play an important role in realizing this goal.

We also had the opportunity to evaluate possible collaborations with Rolls-Royce Group in this field.

B_A

Contributor
Reactions
4 1,057
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
It sucks how in Australia we are not getting nuclear power.

Good on Turkiye for doing its part in trying to get cheap electricity.
Australia dont need so much elektrik since they closed factory then enjoy sold the natural resource to China and invited Chinese Student.

For Turkiye,in this field always talk too much but action slow.

Pilatino

Reactions
3 663
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I hope this time manager and workers will be Turkish rather than foreigners like in the Akkuyu facility. The deal with the Russians is one of the worst agreements ever, but the reason is that nobody wanted to give this tech to us, so we had to accept that.

B_A

Contributor
Reactions
4 1,057
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I hope this time manager and workers will be Turkish rather than foreigners like in the Akkuyu facility. The deal with the Russians is one of the worst agreements ever, but the reason is that nobody wanted to give this tech to us, so we had to accept that.
Bad better than none.

The problem is too late and too slow

We should have nuclear reactors 15 years before

No Name

Reactions
5 310
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
What technology is Russia giving?

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
59 7,515
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
To my knowledge, only operating the station. Turkish crews were sent to Russia for education.

Akkuyu is paid for by Russia, built by Russia and will be operated by Russia. Turkey has not paid for anything and only payment will be for the energy output we buy. It's a project like none other, it's unique in that stance.

B_A

Contributor
Reactions
4 1,057
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
To my knowledge, only operating the station. Turkish crews were sent to Russia for education.

Akkuyu is paid for by Russia, built by Russia and will be operated by Russia. Turkey has not paid for anything and only payment will be for the energy output we buy. It's a project like none other, it's unique in that stance.
"NONE". The big capitals in.
The only good thing is, finally we have a Nuclear Power Plant in our land, which should have been done 20 years ago

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
59 7,515
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
This interview is originally from Oct 5, but hadn't seen it.

Nuclear projects are coming online in Sinop and Thrace.

Minister of Energy and Natural Resources Alparslan Bayraktar:

October 29, 2024 target for the first reactor to be activated in Akkuyu
In the nuclear sector, we definitely want to commission the Sinop and Thrace projects.
We are in talks with China for the reactor in Thrace, and we want to finalize an agreement in the next few months.
Modular nuclear reactors will be 25% of our nuclear capacity. When modular nuclear power plants enter the construction phase, they progress faster than others.

First reactor of Akkuyu was actually to be opened in 2023. It's now confirmed delayed to Oct 29 2024. There were talks about Rosatom not being able get western parts necessary due to embargos on Russian companies.

"Bayraktar underlined that it is aimed to commission over 20 thousand megawatts of nuclear energy capacity in the next 30 years, and pointed out that after Akkuyu, the nuclear power plants planned for Sinop and Thrace are planned to be put into operation.

Bayraktar said that negotiations with China regarding the NPP targeted to be built in Thrace have made significant progress and some points have been agreed upon, adding, "We want to turn this into an agreement in the next few months. If we cannot reach an agreement, as Turkey, we need to turn to a different alternative because at the end of the day, I need to be able to reach a total of 20 thousand megawatts of nuclear power."
Looks like deal with China is not going as nicely as hoped and they are yet to be finalized.

On rest of the interview, he also talks about joint panels between Turkish and American companies on energy cooperation and moving Israeli gas through Turkey. Suffice to say these two plans are now either postponed or dead altogether.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,702
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Another important detail is that the French and Canadians were pushed out in all three tenders. By extension, Korea also seems to have been excluded due to the consortium model. Russia, followed by China and, apparently, the UK on the SMR model, will take a big piece of the pie.

Deliorman

Contributor
Reactions
5 3,558
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Bulgaria
The only good thing is, finally we have a Nuclear Power Plant in our land, which should have been done 20 years ago

Bulgaria has it's first Nuclear Power Plant in Kozloduy on the Danube working since the 1970s. With Soviet tech of course but still it has it's own NPP. Now they plan building new reactors there and to start using nuclear fuel from Westinghouse, USA instead from Rosatom.

There were plans for a second NPP in Belene again built by Russia and even the construction began with like 500EUR million invested there but the project then collapsed and was stopped. Now Bulgaria even plans to sell the nuclear reactors it already received from Russia to Ukraine.

So Turkey should have became a nuclear nation not 20 but 50-60 years ago. One of the biggest mistakes of all previous Turkish governments was that they never invested in nuclear technologies. But knowing though how many turbulent events Turkey went though and continues to go through... maybe it is better late than never.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,702
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
So Turkey should have became a nuclear nation not 20 but 50-60 years ago.
In fact, initial work started 60 years ago and the Akkuyu site was identified more or less 50 years ago. But we could not move for decades.

We were also one of the first countries in the world in terms of research reactor. Nuclear research in Turkiye started at a similar time to Korea. But 50 years later, the same Koreans put forward their own reactors in our NPP tenders.

B_A

Contributor
Reactions
4 1,057
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
In fact, initial work started 60 years ago and the Akkuyu site was identified more or less 50 years ago. But we could not move for decades.

We were also one of the first countries in the world in terms of research reactor. Nuclear research in Turkiye started at a similar time to Korea. But 50 years later, the same Koreans put forward their own reactors in our NPP tenders.
In 1940s to 50s we were almost only behind the West, soviets and Japanese in many areas.We were quite bad in the second half of last century

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
59 7,515
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
"HISTORIC NUCLEAR PLEDGE AT COP28 DUBAI: SIXTEEN COUNTRIES AIM TO TRIPLE GLOBAL NUCLEAR BY 2050

Joined by IAEA, the following are signing, many with heads of state present: USA, France, UK, Canada, UAE, South Korea, Japan, Belgium, Ukraine, Romania, Slovakia, Sweden, Poland, Bulgaria, Czechia, Finland.

Nothing like this with nuclear has ever happened at these climate conferences. Some of these countries had active nuclear phaseout policies as recently as earlier this year!

China, India, and Russia are already actively building to essentially triple their nuclear, and Russia and China's customer countries aren't even in this event, they're just actually doing it now."

Still, wonder why India, Egypt and Turkey didn't sign it.

TR_123456

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
We need to work on Thorium reactors as soon as possible,why we didnt already is another question.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,702
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
We need to work on Thorium reactors as soon as possible,why we didnt already is another question.
If I am not mistaken, the Chinese have made very serious progress in this regard. China approved commissioning of thorium-powered reactor this year.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom