TR Politics

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
One is not a patriot who is a self hater and bring his own people down. Sinan also personally attacked a user, Timur by calling him a backward gurbetci.
who are gurbetci?

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,806
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Kardesim you are generalizing a bit too much.

Sinan like me and others wants the improvement of wellfare/living conditions of citizens of Turkey. This means kurd, laz, zaza, turks, arabs etc.

Doesn't news like this not make you sad on behalf turks living in Turkey.

I've pointed out several times that being a "milliyetci" is very easy if you are living abroad and cashing your paycheck.

You need to have experienced the 90's in Turkey to understand what economic crises is.

Fuzuli NL

Experienced member
Germany Correspondent
Reactions
20 8,312
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Kardesim you are generalizing a bit too much.

Sinan like me and others wants the improvement of wellfare/living conditions of citizens of Turkey. This means kurd, laz, zaza, turks, arabs etc.

Doesn't news like this not make you sad on behalf turks living in Turkey.

I've pointed out several times that being a "milliyetci" is very easy if you are living abroad and cashing your paycheck.

You need to have experienced the 90's in Turkey to understand what economic crises is.
There are many similar examples ALL OVER THE WORLD, but I only see some Turks have "almanci" as a fishbone stuck to their throat.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,806
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
There are many similar examples ALL OVER THE WORLD, but I only see some Turks have "almanci" as a fishbone stuck to their throat.

It's actually funny that there aren't any reference to Turks in France....

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,214
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
FYI: Gurbetçi means expats (expatriate), particularly Turkish expats in Europe.

Costin84

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Romania
Interesting, it's usually the other way around in Romania. Usually, having experienced better governance and rule of law, Romanian expats in their greater majority, are highly critical of the ruling class, trying to emulate what they see in their adoptive countries back home.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,090
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Interesting, it's usually the other way around in Romania. Usually, having experienced better governance and rule of law, Romanian expats in their greater majority, are highly critical of the ruling class, trying to emulate what they see in their adoptive countries back home.

Its not the same everywhere, for example you can't compare the Turkish community in the US or UK with let's say Netherlands or Germany. And I dont mean to generalize everyone, because there is a lot of opposition against the government policy among Turks here in Germany too, but Erdogan supporters are very vocal and completely blind on purpose to any wrongdoings.

They will vote left wing in Germany but defend Erdogan's alliance with nationalistic MHP at any given moment. I as an Almanci/Gurbetci will say that we deserve a lot of the shit that people say in Turkey.

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
I see this tension in ex-pat Pakistani's as well. I am from that group that wants wholesale copy of what is best in the lands like UK where many Pakistani's migrate. This vote with feet is testimony that the systems in UK are better. All I want is those in Pakistan instead of flaffing about just copy "off the shelf" and bring prosperity to the country. I had some hope we might see that since Imran Khan became PM as he had lived in UK for nearly two decades. He has brought in lots of advisors from diaspora comunities but there is now rift developing between many local politicians who are calling them "parachutists" meaning they just dropped in.

Costin84

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Romania
Its not the same everywhere, for example you can't compare the Turkish community in the US or UK with let's say Netherlands or Germany. And I dont mean to generalize everyone, because there is a lot of opposition against the government policy among Turks here in Germany too, but Erdogan supporters are very vocal and completely blind on purpose to any wrongdoings.

They will vote left wing in Germany but defend Erdogan's alliance with nationalistic MHP at any given moment. I as an Almanci/Gurbetci will say that we deserve a lot of the shit that people say in Turkey.
We're taking shit to from people back home...."you left, why are you constantly criticising? "...In the 2018 Presidential elections when we qued for hours at consulates to vote we even got the "why are they voting?,they don't pay taxes in the country!" outcry from some loosers.Nevermind the billions of euros we send back or invest at home every year.

selim

Reactions
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
I see this tension in ex-pat Pakistani's as well. I am from that group that wants wholesale copy of what is best in the lands like UK where many Pakistani's migrate. This vote with feet is testimony that the systems in UK are better. All I want is those in Pakistan instead of flaffing about just copy "off the shelf" and bring prosperity to the country. I had some hope we might see that since Imran Khan became PM as he had lived in UK for nearly two decades. He has brought in lots of advisors from diaspora comunities but there is now rift developing between many local politicians who are calling them "parachutists" meaning they just dropped in.

I remember visiting Turkey with my parents as a kid.
Constant power outages. I couldn't drink water from the kitchen's water-tap without having to spend the rest of holiday in the toilet with diarrhea.
Always had extra amounts of candles and mobile cylinder gas on reserve to even be able to cook food.
Today it's a whole different story in a positive way :)
Those gurbetcis, because they don't live daily in Turkey can see the progress Turkey has made and is still making.

I wish Turkey wouldn't have been such a horror-show back then when Turkey needed to "export" people to Europe because Turkey couldn't care for them within the country. As if it was my choice I was born outside of the country and had to grow up in a foreign country.
Off course I'll vote Erdogan, if you like it or not !

selim

Reactions
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey

Does not matter.

Those voting in German elections don't have any impact on Turkish election system as they've given up on their Turkish passport.
Dual citizenship is not common in Germany.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,090
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Does not matter.

Those voting in German elections don't have any impact on Turkish election system as they've given up on their Turkish passport.
Dual citizenship is not common in Germany.

Thats not what I said. But its still morally corrupt to support left wing parties in Germany and at the same time to support an undemocratic, corrupt and very nationalistic government in Turkey.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,090
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
As if it was my choice I was born outside of the country and had to grow up in a foreign country.

Well you can always go back. Be the change you want to see and not a hypocrite.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,090
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
We're taking shit to from people back home...."you left, why are you constantly criticising? "...In the 2018 Presidential elections when we qued for hours at consulates to vote we even got the "why are they voting?,they don't pay taxes in the country!" outcry from some loosers.Nevermind the billions of euros we send back or invest at home every year.

I dont think that people living abroad should be able to vote in general elections tbf.

In Turkey Almancis or people from Germany in general are known to tell the locals how good they have it, how much taxes they have to pay - while on holiday in Turkey once a year stereotypically driving a upper to middle class German car that only the top 10% in Turkey can afford. Meanwhile, many people in Turkey can't afford basic goods right now and the government is selling basic products like oil or rice for cheap through the postal services.

Its astonishing how someone can live in Germany with one of the highest living standards and one of the most democratic countries and yet support what's going on in Turkey. It says a lot about these people.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,806
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Politics in Turkey

Attachments

• C4DD9C35-E73C-47AB-A351-716869B44522.jpeg
    C4DD9C35-E73C-47AB-A351-716869B44522.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 66

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Constant power outages. I couldn't drink water from the kitchen's water-tap without having to spend the rest of holiday in the toilet with diarrhea.
Always had extra amounts of candles and mobile cylinder gas on reserve to even be able to cook food.
Those gurbetcis, because they don't live daily in Turkey can see the progress Turkey has made and is still making.

I wish Turkey wouldn't have been such a horror-show back then when Turkey needed to "export" people to Europe because Turkey couldn't care for them within the country. As if it was my choice I was born outside of the country and had to grow up in a foreign country.
Honestly, what you said almost word by word could describe my experiance. I did not chose to be born in UK. It was and is failure of Pakistani society that people have to migrate. I mean I am happy being British. I am absolutely destined to die here as a UK citizen. I would like to think I am loyal to the Queen. My children are entirely adjusted to British society and contribute positively. I have family in police, law, tax and private sector in UK.

But when I go back I see so much potential but then want to scream because what is so obvious is ignored. I despise most those ex-pat Pakistani's in UK who support a a medieval outlook. They should know better. The fact that they chose to live here is validation of modern society.

I do think though that change is begining to gather pace and within generation "Naya Pakistan" or "New Pakistan" will emerge.

Ps. Which year did you visit Turkey when you had issues etc?

S

Sinan

I know why you would vote for Erdogan.

These guys come to Turkey in summer, because of the crushing economy everything is cheap for them. They live kings with their Euros. Then they go back to their country.

You would never see Almancıs moving back to Turkey. Why would they are living in welfare, democratic, rule of law states.

Continue to vote for Erdogan, prices would become cheaper for you. While we are having %30 unemployment and %50 working on minimum wage (less than 400 Euros), no problem for you if we eat shit here.

The funny thing is, these guys preach about love for country to us.

S

Sinan

I dont think that people living abroad should be able to vote in general elections tbf.

In Turkey Almancis or people from Germany in general are known to tell the locals how good they have it, how much taxes they have to pay - while on holiday in Turkey once a year stereotypically driving a upper to middle class German car that only the top 10% in Turkey can afford. Meanwhile, many people in Turkey can't afford basic goods right now and the government is selling basic products like oil or rice for cheap through the postal services.

Its astonishing how someone can live in Germany with one of the highest living standards and one of the most democratic countries and yet support what's going on in Turkey. It says a lot about these people.
Thanks bro for understanding us. Wish everybody was like you. They don't really understand what we are going through here.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom