Puma IFV unusable: Is Germany's military unfit for action?

Chocopie

Contributor
South Korea Correspondent
Reactions
32 1,915
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
The answer would be a clear and loud: „Jaaawohl!“

Paper Puma: Best on paper, useless in battle. Development cost approx. € 6 billion. Price per unit: €17 million (for an IFV, not a MBT!!!!).

German MIC and Bundeswehr are seriously defunct and a danger to national and NATO security as well.

Bmx98

Reactions
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania

Paper Puma: Best on paper, useless in battle. Development cost approx. € 6 billion. Price per unit: €17 million (for an IFV, not a MBT!!!!).

German MIC and Bundeswehr are seriously defunct and a danger to national and NATO security as well.

As far as I understood the problems were mostly related to the RCWS which to be fair is a bit old and needs to be replaced. Protection wise is still the most protected ifv in the world. However there are other shortcomings such as bad interior design and very heavy combat weight.

Chocopie

Contributor
Reactions
32 1,915
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
Frequent total failures of the unmanned turret. Only one of many technical problems of Puma for over a decade. From 18 latest model Pumas (turret with integrated Spike LR ATGM) not a single one was left operational during a training exercise: electronics failure, cable fire and turret failure.

more here:

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,823
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey

German weapons are not allow to use in a battle. Result is, what we see right now.

Mustafa27

Committed member
Reactions
2 589
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
As I said before German Military is a joke, i doubt there will be any changes to this. There doesn't seem to be an appetite for change. People seemed hopeful for the 100 billion euro but i don't think anything will change. They need to revamp their army administration and get rid of this overregulation that is in the military.

Chocopie

Contributor
Reactions
32 1,915
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
During the Cold War the Bundeswehr was a capable force (very good and reliable equipment for Sea, Land, Air in vast numbers, well-trained conscript soldiers, efficient leadership). It was never a top-notch but a battle-ready military. The steady decline in readiness and efficiency is appalling.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,946
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
During the Cold War the Bundeswehr was a capable force (very good and reliable equipment for Sea, Land, Air in vast numbers, well-trained conscript soldiers, efficient leadership). It was never a top-notch but a battle-ready military. The steady decline in readiness and efficiency is appalling.

Cold war ended in turn Germany basically cut its whole defence spending as there were no longer threats it had to face plus they had to incorporate East Germany which in turn also inherited their army.

This what happens when you get too comfortable while at the same time I can see why so much defence was cut as they had to incorporate East Germany into a united Germany it really costed a lot for unification.

I think German members can explain so much it costed and the headache it was.

Last edited:

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom