News Raytheon-Mitsubishi SM-3 Block IIA ICBM Interceptor Destroys Target Outside Earth’s Atmosphere

Test7

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
18 19,918
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
As part of a historic Missile Defense Agency (MDA) demonstration and for the first time ever, an intercontinental ballistic missile target was intercepted and destroyed outside Earth's atmosphere by an advanced SM-3® Block IIA ballistic missile defense interceptor made by Raytheon Missiles & Defense, a Raytheon Technologies business. The interceptor was co-developed with Japan's Mitsubishi Heavy Industries.

"This first-of-its-kind test shows that our nation has a viable option for a new layer of defense against long-range threats," said Bryan Rosselli, vice president of Strategic Missile Defense at Raytheon Missiles & Defense. The interceptor uses sheer force, rather than an explosive warhead, to destroy its target. Its “kill vehicle” hits threats with the force of a 10-ton truck traveling 600 mph. This technique, referred to as “hit-to-kill,” has been likened to intercepting a bullet with another bullet

Image Attribute: A file photo of the SM-3 launch from a US Navy cruiser. / Source: Missile Defense Agency (MDA)

Image Attribute: A file photo of the SM-3
® Block IB launch from a US Navy cruiser. / Source: Missile Defense Agency (MDA)

The SM-3 family of ballistic missile defense interceptors has executed more exo-atmospheric intercepts than all other missiles combined and is the only weapon of its kind employed from both ships and land. Kindly note; to date, it has achieved more than 30 exoatmospheric intercepts against ballistic missile targets.

Raytheon Intelligence & Space sensors were also part of the historic test from low-earth orbit. The sensors detected and tracked the target and relayed the data to decision-makers in a demonstration of space-based early warning.

In December 2019, the MDA awarded Raytheon a $1 billion SM-3 Block IIA contract. Earlier that year, the U.S. State Department approved a possible Foreign Military Sale to Japan of up to 73 SM-3 Block IIA missiles for an estimated cost of $3.295 billion. In Japan, the missile will equip the AEGIS Ashore and new Maya-class destroyers.

AEGIS BMD SM-3 Evolution

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,544
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
I wonder if Roketsan can build something similar, I mean with sounding rocket the outer atmosphere is reached. Main part of the recept is there I guess.

Test7

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
18 19,918
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
I wonder if Roketsan can build something similar, I mean with sounding rocket the outer atmosphere is reached. Main part of the recept is there I guess.

I guess they can achieve this with a suitable seeker.

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,486
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Bro, Siper long range missile program will have similar geometry with SM-2 series and this missile will be convenient to further enhancements. Aselsan’s hybrid seeker head will be integrated to Siper but I believe Aselsan’s 5-axis DACS project is being developed for “Long altitude-long range” missiles (different from Siper) that was commenced by SSM. Roketsan reached 140km altitude with a sounding rocket and this propulsion tech may be the base of Turkish LALG exo-atmospheric missile program. The Rf-IIR seeker to be tested on Siper will give final form to LALR missiles and A giant anti-ballistic missile radar is being developed as well. Siper will be ready until 2023 and I believe LALR missiles will be ready for trials until 2024-25.

1605607901151.jpeg

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,544
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
It is utmost important that Roketsan / Tubitak develop SM-2 / 3 type missiles for the TF2000 project. We simply can't build on US and I do not trust in NAVO anymore either. If war goes of nobody will come to the help of Turkey, but Turkey will be asked to join war for the NAVO partners.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom