Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
112 14,718
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
A single or twin engine UCAV is also possible. Imagine an Akıncı with twice the power.
What are you going to do with 3000hp power for Akinci?
Even with the current “to be” 1500hp, it is quite a powerful bird. In fact may even be too powerful for what it is supposed to be doing.
That much power could rip apart the structure. Never mind the fuel consumption and the amount of fuel it has to carry inside it’s valuable space.
Also please remember that these planes ore optimised for specific jobs and therefore are built accordingly.

Last edited:

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,155
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
What are you going to do with 3000hp power for Akinci?
Even with the current “to be” 1500hp, it is quite a powerful bird. In fact may even be too powerful for what it is supposed to be doing.
That much power could rip apart the structure. Never mind the fuel consumption and the amount of fuel it has to carry inside it’s valuable space.
Also please remember that these planes ore optimised for specific jobs and therefore are built accordingly.
Take my words for a propeller plane and not as Akıncı in its present incarnation. A 3000hp naturally comes to mind but it doesn't really have many uses as it enters the realm of manned planes. Once you already have capable propeller planes you want to go for speed instead of payload. Propeller planes top at 725 km/h speed. Akıncı barely makes 380 km/h due to its design optimized for payload. A 1500hp single engine propeller plane optimized for speed can possibly take the throne of the propeller food chain besting the MQ-9 Reaper with 900hp. And a twin engine version could be the high flyer. But when you want to fly high and fast you need turbofan.

AzeriTank

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,760
Nation of residence
Azerbaijan
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
Take my words for a propeller plane and not as Akıncı in its present incarnation. A 3000hp naturally comes to mind but it doesn't really have many uses as it enters the realm of manned planes. Once you already have capable propeller planes you want to go for speed instead of payload. Propeller planes top at 725 km/h speed. Akıncı barely makes 380 km/h due to its design optimized for payload. A 1500hp single engine propeller plane optimized for speed can possibly take the throne of the propeller food chain besting the MQ-9 Reaper with 900hp. And a twin engine version could be the high flyer. But when you want to fly high and fast you need turbofan.
American E2 which also recently sold to Japan use around 3000hp 2 engines, its like awacs on Aircraft Carrier, huge power. but not many countries have AC so it will be hard to sell it... ;)

chngr

Reactions
1 138
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
you really think that i dont know their difference? i just compare with American drones and their engine, their weight... when you try to have a 5th generation drone, it also end up with lots of drag, just look at the f135 and f110 engine and f35 and f16. so its not fair to compare it with just engine power.
F-35 bigger plane than F-16, Eurofighter,Rafale...not even close

Empty weight
F-16 19.000lb
F-35 29.000lb

Maximum takeoff weight
F-16 42.000lb
F-35 70.000lb

Ardabas34

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
F-35 B is actually 60.000lb. F-35 A and C are 70.000 lb.

Though I learnt that F-35B has to use only its internal weapon bays for it to be ''stealthy'' which is attributed as the greatest improvement of the jet. It has 2 internal weapon bays with both having 2 weapon stations. So that makes 4 weapon stations. It can use the 6 external weapon stations on its wingspans only in missions that dont require stealth.

For F-35 B the 2 inboard weapon stations can carry aim-120 amraam(2x335lb) whereas the 2 outboard weapon stations can each carry 1500 lb. Thats it. If you want to use it in its true meaning, I mean for what it was most hyped for, ''stealth'', these are all you have.

Actually it feels like they are giving up a lot for stealth.
Though one must never forget they will continuously improve it.
Lockheed Martin is developing a weapon rack called Sidekick that would enable the internal outboard station to carry two AIM-120s, thus increasing the internal air-to-air payload to six missiles, currently offered for Block 4.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,155
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
So it didn't fail. It was and still is ready to be produced but a 'friend' became unreliable and decided to embargo Turkey. Any other company would suffer the same and would not find a suitable powerpack for the Altay. Don't blame it on BMC. Only 4 countries in the world have developed and produced a 1500hp engine suitable for MBT's. That is less than the amount of countries that have developed and produced a medium-thrust turbofan engine for a fighter-aircraft...
Far less than those who made nuclear weapons.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
112 14,718
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey

"HURJET's body will be visible this year with the engine installed." It is aimed that HURJET will make its first flight in 2022 and enter the inventory in 2025. The hourly flight cost of HURJET will be from four to one of the F-16's.

Interesting to see that the Hurjet is going to be 4x as cheaper to fly than the F-16. It'll be great for rapid cross-border, low-risk strike missions for which the F-16's are currently used.
That last sentence is very important. To be able to fly sorties against terrorists in the east and in northern Syria and Iraq at quarter of the cost of f16’s is great news. With the Aksungur and Akinci drones being able to carry opportunist weapons heavy enough to be in f16’s domain, to hit positions in the ground , the F16’s of TuAF, will be able take a breather.

Fairon

Reactions
6 885
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Turkey has so far excelled in armoured vehicles, UAVs, munition, naval platforms, small arms, E/O devices, and EW equipment.
The first flight of Hürjet will mark a new era in our defence capabilities.

I'm just wondering why hasn't anyone ask about the Hürkus and why did we only order 15, and why did it take so long, and why did we order so any Super Mushshaks?
As far as I know we didn't order Hurkus because at the moment there is no need for it.(KT-1's are relatively new and at the moment we don't need any more of the that class of trainers)Therefore Airforce asked Tusas to focus on C version for orders.

As for Mushshaks, it isdifferent category then Hurkus. Mushshak is basic trainer, pilots first train will Mushshak and then contuniue their training with Hurkus. Hurkus will replace or suplement the KT-1's and Mushshaks will replace the basic trainers.(I don't remember their types.) Tolga Ozbek made a great video about it.

Fuzuli NL

Experienced member
Germany Correspondent
Reactions
20 8,264
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
As far as I know we didn't order Hurkus because at the moment there is no need for it.(KT-1's are relatively new and at the moment we don't need any more of the that class of trainers)Therefore Airforce asked Tusas to focus on C version for orders.

As for Mushshaks, it isdifferent category then Hurkus. Mushshak is basic trainer, pilots first train will Mushshak and then contuniue their training with Hurkus. Hurkus will replace or suplement the KT-1's and Mushshaks will replace the basic trainers.(I don't remember their types.) Tolga Ozbek made a great video about it.
Hürkus was intended to be and categorised as a basic trainer.
As for the older ones, they were th SIAI-Marchetti SF.260 and (I think) Cessna T-41.

Fairon

Reactions
6 885
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Hürkus was intended to be and categorised as a basic trainer.
As for the older ones, they were th SIAI-Marchetti SF.260 and (I think) Cessna T-41.

Okay my mistake. Yes Hürkus is a basic trainer but there are different categories for basic trainer types. Mushshak will be used for entry level training. I was trying to say that. So Mushshak order won't effect the Hürkus orders. Simply there is no immediate need for Hürkus atm.

The structre will be like this: Mushshak>KT-1/Hürkus>T38/Hürjet>Specialization

Indos

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Turkey has so far excelled in armoured vehicles, UAVs, munition, naval platforms, small arms, E/O devices, and EW equipment.
The first flight of Hürjet will mark a new era in our defence capabilities.

I'm just wondering why hasn't anyone ask about the Hürkus and why did we only order 15, and why did it take so long, and why did we order so any Super Mushshaks?

I think there is no need to order it too many, 15 planes has already been large enough for first order. As long as the order keep coming, I dont think we should be worried. The manufacturing takes quite long time I think because the production line is limited. Production line capacity is set up base on the demand, if the demand is not large, why do we need to invest too much on it ?

It is the first Turkish design plane anyway, so the project itself is already very beneficial for Turkey aerospace development. Without Hurkus, there will be no Hurjet and TFX program.

Supermushak is side by side cockpit, it is really intended for very beginning phase of pilot training, but yes 52 planes seems too many. I think the order is a politically motivated one, unless it will be sold to pilot training schools across Turkey, state owned and private owned schools.

Last edited:

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
112 14,718
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey

Actually Ismail Demir said that the MMU will be produced in blocks. First batch will be 4.5gen and replace the older F16's. I think this is a logical step but I don't think we can say that MMU will be a aircraft family like F35 for now.(It will be strecthing the Ismail Demir's statement) There is no doubt that the navalized version is on consideration but I don't think it will materialized before we have a operational MMU with large numbers. Also we don't have any specification for aircraft carrier yet, MMU could be too big for our possible AC. Hürjet might be more suitable for navalization.(Or a new aircraft based on Hürjet)
I agree! A twin engined navalised Hurjet is a more likely candidate for a carrier. Especially if it’s design can be altered a bit to make it more stealthy as well! All conventional jets operating from carriers ( not VSTOL ones) are twin engined planes. (f4J, f4K, f14, f18, mig29k, Su33).

Fuzuli NL

Experienced member
Germany Correspondent
Reactions
20 8,264
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
The most viable aircraft is still the F-35, Navalised anything Turkish is at this point just a pipe-dream.
It's a dream, not a pipe-dream.
We also dreamt of building our own battleships, drones, weapon systems, etc.
Some of them came true and some got stuck, but you have to dream in order to create, Combat mate! :)

Top Bottom