TR TF-X KAAN Fighter Jet

buraktunahan

Reactions
9 366
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I've been wondering what TFX looks like for a long time. Some of them produced images by computer-processing photos rationed by the SSB.

I chose the classical way. I took the pen. I reviewed the limited number of photos published by the SSB. I tried to make a 3D drawing of TFX, taking into account the joint surfaces on the fuselage. It was an amateurish drawing. The result looks like the following.

uçuyorum

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,190
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I've been wondering what TFX looks like for a long time. Some of them produced images by computer-processing photos rationed by the SSB.

I chose the classical way. I took the pen. I reviewed the limited number of photos published by the SSB. I tried to make a 3D drawing of TFX, taking into account the joint surfaces on the fuselage. It was an amateurish drawing. The result looks like the following.

Inlets don't look quite right

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,949
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus

I'm amazed 😳

Solid work. This is arguably the most realistic drawing of the aircraft out there. But I believe it can be better.

GBdLW.jpg

1: The area underneath the canopy is serrated on the actual aircraft.
2: The intakes seem to be out of proportion. But this could be caused by the forward fuselage being out of proportion in general.
3: The front landing gear is forward retracting. Thus the compartment doors should be placed at the front.
4: You could re-work the wings a little bit.
5: The horizontal stabilizers are out of proportion (they need to be larger in size and extend out further) and their working mechanisms are incorrect. These are the type of stabs you would find on the F-22, KF-21 etc. MMU on the other hand has taken inspiration from the F-35 and the Su-57. See below to better grasp how it works:

FmLcouKX0AAl13z.jpeg

Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 13.03.57.png

buraktunahan

Reactions
9 366
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I'm amazed 😳

Solid work. This is arguably the most realistic drawing of the aircraft out there. But I believe it can be better.

View attachment 53034

1: The area underneath the canopy is serrated on the actual aircraft.
2: The intakes seem to be out of proportion. But this could be caused by the forward fuselage being out of proportion in general.
3: The front landing gear is forward retracting. Thus the compartment doors should be placed at the front.
4: You could re-work the wings a little bit.
5: The horizontal stabilizers are out of proportion (they need to be larger in size and extend out further) and their working mechanisms are incorrect. These are the type of stabs you would find on the F-22, KF-21 etc. MMU on the other hand has taken inspiration from the F-35 and the Su-57. See below to better grasp how it works:

View attachment 53035
View attachment 53036

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I will consider all of them.

As you know, a very limited number of photos that do not show details have been published. Very wide-angle or very close-up photos were shared with the public. It was very difficult for me to predict the proportions in these photos.

Also, thank you for liking this amateur drawing of mine. :)

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,949
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
Thank you very much for your suggestions. I will consider all of them.

As you know, a very limited number of photos that do not show details have been published. Very wide-angle or very close-up photos were shared with the public. It was very difficult for me to predict the proportions in these photos.

Also, thank you for liking this amateur drawing of mine. :)
Amateur drawing? Pfft bullshit this is great.

Regarding the TF-X, not a lot has been published since the media day. But I guess the engine start date is not too far away ;)

Windchime

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
22 1,276
Nation of residence
Poland
Nation of origin
South Korea

Windchime

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
22 1,276
Nation of residence
Poland
Nation of origin
South Korea
Not quite sure what sensor DAS uses (maybe L3's 2Kx2K large format 15µm p.p. MWIR InSb), but ASELSAN is getting there in terms of sensor tech (1280x1024 10µm p.p. MWIR MCT, superior to InSb, unclassified). New DAS probably managed to reduce weight and max FPS of L3's 4Kx4K sensor (16MP).
No, the current DAS resolution is 640 * 512. The DAS backend was built with megapixel sensors in mind but that was never realised until Block 3 due to constant delays in the development. Only now with a major upgrade program in form of block 4 is changing this situation and DAS upgrade is listed as a block 4 avionics suite. Though no one knows the capability of the new DAS apertures and system processing capabilities.

In case you were talking about EOTS, that thing's an internally integrated Sniper XR and is definitely not 2K * 2K. Obviously no one knows the capabilities of the new block 4 EOTS.

Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,539
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
No, the current DAS resolution is 640 * 512. The DAS backend was built with megapixel sensors in mind but that was never realised until Block 3 due to constant delays in the development. Only now with a major upgrade program in form of block 4 is changing this situation and DAS upgrade is listed as a block 4 avionics suite. Though no one knows the capability of the new DAS apertures and system processing capabilities.

In case you were talking about EOTS, that thing's an internally integrated Sniper XR and is definitely not 2K * 2K. Obviously no one knows the capabilities of the new block 4 EOTS.
Thanks a lot (again)

moz68k

Reactions
18 579
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
Thanks for the corrections and insight @Windchime. I've added links to your posts for posterity.

Intel chips were used on F-22 CIPs back then. F-35 is powered by Power architecture as @moz68k said, though a small update, later ICPs are powered with Power (no pun intended) from Freescale rather than Motorola for obvious reasons.
RIP, the company that built the 2nd part of my username's sake :( (also MOS, but they died a loong time ago)

Yes, I recall reading they were using multi megapixel sensors for DAS, I guess that was only what they were planning on using. Never knew about the delays. And yeah, I wasn't talking about EOTS using those 2K x 2K sensors.

As for an interesting rumor I heard on the new capabilities added to DAS besides higher resolution: dual-band (MWIR and LWIR). Maybe you have some intel (pun very much intended) on this this too? In relation to the FSS, the only dual band sensor I know ASELSAN already manufactures is the Dual Band QWIP 640 IDDCA, which I guess could also be a candidate for use in the FSS if MWIR+LWIR is deemed more valuable than high resolution by the TurAF.

Last edited:

Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,539
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Thanks for the corrections and insight @Windchime. I've added links to your posts for posterity.

RIP, the company that built the 2nd part of my username's sake :( (also MOS, but they died a loong time ago)

Yes, I recall reading they were using multi megapixel sensors for DAS, I guess that was only what they were planning on using. Never knew about the delays. And yeah, yeah I wasn't talking about EOTS using those 2K x 2K sensors.

As for an interesting rumor I heard on the new capabilities added to DAS besides higher resolution: dual-band (MWIR and LWIR). Maybe you have some intel (pun very much intended) on this this too? In relation to the FSS, the only dual band sensor I know ASELSAN already manufactures is the Dual Band QWIP 640 IDDCA, which I guess could also be a candidate for use in the FSS if MWIR+LWIR is deemed more valuable than high resolution by the TurAF.
What kind of advantages would LWIR bring in missile/threat detection? TF-X already has IRST so i guess we don't need it for enemy aircraft detection at frontal sector.

moz68k

Reactions
18 579
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
What kind of advantages would LWIR bring in missile/threat detection? TF-X already has IRST so i guess we don't need it for enemy aircraft detection at frontal sector.

Here's a quote from this sensor's sales blurb:
The L3Harris high-definition Dual-Band Infrared Imaging Engine (DBI2E) provides our Armed Forces with the most advanced technology to detect and engage the enemy. The fully reticulated long-wave infrared pixels deliver superior imaging performance, even in dirty battlefield conditions where burning barrels and other very hot targets could cause blooming in mid-wave infrared detector systems.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,054
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
On the topic of semiconductors and security, worth a watch for those interested:

Even the US struggles to this day to keep semiconductors American and I mean 100% American without any foreign involvement.

Windchime

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
22 1,276
Nation of residence
Poland
Nation of origin
South Korea
Yes, I recall reading they were using multi megapixel sensors for DAS, I guess that was only what they were planning on using. Never knew about the delays.
Btw, just to be sure we're on the same page, the "delay" I was talking about was the delay of the overall F-35 development program, not a DAS specific delay. A lot of F-35 capabilities were rescheduled once the inevitable delays kicked in and I'd guess that exactly was a case for the megapixel DAS as well.

Both the EOTS and DAS on F-35 today are already LWIR-MWIR dual band. You might have confused it with the rumor which suggests that the new "Advanced EOTS" LM is developing is a SWIR-MWIR dual band instead of MWIR-LWIR, which has not been confirmed as of yet but rather a pure guess work on footages released.

As for the Aselsan sensor you've mentioned, its specs matches that of current DAS quite well, which suggests the very possibility it could be used for FSS. I woukd have liked to know some more specific figures like its dimensions, weight and power consumption with which I could've compared it to DAS but that's another matter.

Last edited:

moz68k

Reactions
18 579
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
Btw, just to be sure we're on the same page, the "delay" I was talking about was the delay of the overall F-35 development program, not a DAS specific delay. A lot of F-35 capabilities were rescheduled once the inevitable delays kicked in and I'd guess that exactly was a case for the megapixel DAS as well.

Both the EOTS and DAS on F-35 today are already LWIR-MWIR dual band. You might have confused it with the rumor which suggests that the new "Advanced EOTS" LM is developing is a SWIR-MWIR dual band instead of MWIR-LWIR, which has not been confirmed as of yet but rather a pure guess work on footages released.

As for the Aselsan sensor you've mentioned, its specs matches that of current DAS quite well, which suggests the very possibility it could be used for FSS. I woukd have liked to know some more specific figures like its dimensions, weight and power consumption with which I could've compared it to DAS but that's another matter.
I never knew the current DAS and EOTS were LWIR+MWIR. Most sources online (F-16 forum, Quora) claim they're MWIR only. I don't have any inside sources, so you're probably much better informed than I am. Thanks again.

Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,539
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
I don't think that it will be Dual-Band QWIP-640, TF-X sensors (IR) were developed in scope of NAR project, which would mean a 1280x1024p MCT MWIR sensor.

No Name

Reactions
5 310
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
Is it possible for Turkey to build a new fighter like the SU 75 Checkmate after the Hurjet project?

YeşilVatan

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,243
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Is it possible for Turkey to build a new fighter like the SU 75 Checkmate after the Hurjet project?
I have a dream that we get ukrainian engines and strap it to a slightly enlarged Hurjet to create a not-F16 so we can sell it to the underdeveloped countries to make big bucks. Hurjet-2 would be the new MiG.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom