Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,553
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Not sure if anyone has shared this publicly available information before: this is TF-X's Large Area Display (LAD-208), designed by STG Engineering in Ankara. At 20" by 8", it is identical in size to L3 Harris' Panoramic Cockpit Display (PCD DU). However, it is a more conventional resistive touchscreen (works with gloves, unlike capacitive screens) instead of the IR solution used by the PCD DU (also works with gloves). The TF-X can certainly support a larger display in future blocks, the F-35 seems to be stuck with the form-fit 20" by 8" form-factor. I don't know the prevalence of resistive touch screens in cockpit avionics, but it's likely more common than L3 Harris' solution.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LAD-208
PRODUCT PAGE
DATASHEET [PDF]
SPECS:

PANEL TYPE

Active matrix LCD (normally black)

PANEL ACTIVE AREA

20” x 8”

PANEL RESOLUTION

2560 X 1024

COLOR DEPTH

8-bit – 16,777,216 colors and 256 grayscales

VIEWING ANGLE

H: +/-45° – V: +/-45°

BACKLIGHT

High efficiency low heat dissipation

LUMINANCE

25fL up to 300fL (day) 0.01fL up to 25fL (night)

SUNLIGHT READABILITY

High performance under 100.000 lux

SOFTWARE

RTCA/DO-178 up to Design Assurance Level (DAL) A

HARDWARE

RTCA/DO-254 up to Design Assurance Level (DAL) A

DEFAULT VIDEO INTERFACE

ARINC 818-2 (DVI; HD-SDI are offered as alternatives)

NVG COMPATIBILITY

NVIS class B, per MIL-STD-3009 Class B
Are we sure that it will be LAD-208? Maybe it would be a similar ASELSAN product

moz68k

Reactions
18 591
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
Are we sure that it will be LAD-208? Maybe it would be a similar ASELSAN product
1673558557133.png

moz68k

Reactions
18 591
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
AFIK that's for Gökbey, not sure about this. However, the demonstrator cockpit at Farnborough is definitely the STG LAD-208.

moz68k

Reactions
18 591
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
Here's another cursory analysis of the current state of TF-X's avionics and computer systems: this time the National Mission Computer, presented by Mustafa Varank back in November. Keep in mind, I am a lowly software engineer, and not a military embedded systems engineer so everything is probably wrong. However, I can say that the NMC appears to be a modern design broadly in line with the US DoD's Modular Open Systems Approach (MOSA). Everything is solid-state (no moving parts), unlike the current F-35 ICP, which uses the notoriously hot running IBM PowerPC architecture thus requiring fans. The NMC is likely using a multi-core variant of ÇAKIL as its CPU, which implements the efficient and open-source RISC-V microarchitecture. Its GPU is unknown but the PCI-E slot and AMD Radeon E8860 support listed for Bilgem's Real Time Operating System (GİS) suggests that they are probably using a COTS Radeon E8860 Embedded GPU for the time being.

Presented were two seemingly different components. However, I think the bare board camera-left is a test bench configuration of the complete system camera-right.

Annotated complete NMC in enclosure:
nmc_aa.cleaned.png

Annotated NMC test bench:
nmc_bb.cleaned.png

Feedback/corrections from any computer engineers is very much welcome.

Last edited:

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,862
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
I don't know if it's right place to tell but Mr. Temel Kotil said that "We will build our own civilian airliners in the future after TFX". (Like Airbus and Boeing). He also added that "Our aim is Top 10 in the list of defence and aviation companies of the world 🌍 and without civilian airliners it's very hard. We already have all we need but first MMU because it's not only a fighter but more than that."
Maybe in cooperation with Sierra Nevada Corporation?

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,735
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
I don't know if it's right place to tell but Mr. Temel Kotil said that "We will build our own civilian airliners in the future after TFX". (Like Airbus and Boeing). He also added that "Our aim is Top 10 in the list of defence and aviation companies of the world 🌍 and without civilian airliners it's very hard. We already have all we need but first MMU because it's not only a fighter but more than that."
Temil Kotil knows his stuff, I must say. He isnt only a visionary but also a good businessman. No one more suitable to lead Turkey's most prestigious company tbh

E

Era_shield

Probably the fainting detection feature is related to the green sections on the top of the ASELSAN HMD and I think these parts are fiber optics that monitor the cognitive health of the pilot, just like in the Tempest concept.
View attachment 52532
View attachment 52533
Those are optical tracking dots, similar to what's used in VR HMDs. Due to the fainting detection system there must be biometric sensors somewhere, but if I was designing this I wouldn't put them in the helmet since it adds weight and those sensors can be placed in many other places on the body instead.

1673576361980.png

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,205
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
General Manager @Temel_Kotil :
*: We need to start delivering the MMU by 2028. That's our contract.
**: GE engine, 4.5+ generation MMU Block 1
**: This is the first time it has been officially announced that 2028 is a contractual condition, not a personal goal

It is not in this statement but in other statements made before it was cited that TFX will be delivered in the year 2028 equipped with the national engine. This means earlier versions of the plane equipped with F16 engines can be delivered earlier than this date. I guess we can see some early deliveries with baseline specks as early as 2026 in normal conditions or even earlier should there be additional timeline pressure.

Hasanrize

Committed member
Reactions
1 509
Nation of residence
Finland
Nation of origin
Turkey
It is not in this statement but in other statements made before it was cited that TFX will be delivered in the year 2028 equipped with the national engine. This means earlier versions of the plane equipped with F16 engines can be delivered earlier than this date. I guess we can see some early deliveries with baseline specks as early as 2026 in normal conditions or even earlier should there be additional timeline pressure.
That is simply not possible. The national engine is supposed to be ready for integration in 2028, then the prototype with the new engine should be tested extensively, which will take time. Remember, TS-1400 was made long ago, yet testing is longer than its design. The same will happen to MMU's engine. Afaik design of that engine is not really started; TEI is in the learning process by TF-6000/10000.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom