Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,963
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
The canopy + nose + wing resemble the head of a bird. Why is the canopy so high? For better view from inside? Aerodynamics must have been sacrificed.
You can't get to such a conclusion.

Kaan very much resembles F22, especially from top view.
I would like to make a size comparision.
F22 overall (LxWxH) dimensions are: 18.9 x 13.6 x 5.1 m
What are the dimensions for Kaan?
Dimensions are unclear. It is around 20-21 meters in length.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,772
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
100 F110 is planned to be bought from GE. There are ongoing negotiations to produce them in TEI at least some of them under GE license. 40 KAAN block 10 is planned to be delivered and it is planned to switch to the national engine starting from 41. fighter(block 20). 100 engines are enough for 40 KAAN+prototypes+spare engines. If the F-16 block 70 project is given a go the number of engines might be increased to 150.
Any chance that every other engine being produced at TEI's facilities to avoid having the first batches be produced in US or elsewhere. Thus avoiding any bottlenecks where US throws dirt into the proces.

hoz

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
What makes you say that?
Just comparing the side view with those of other modern fighters. The high canopy will naturally cause additional air flow resistance during flight. But perhaps there are also benefits, which I am not aware of (such as less turbulence around air inlet (?), better visual awareness, etc. I don't know really. The canopy is also higher than the mockup. See below.

f22.PNG
tf-x mockup.jpg
kaan.jpg

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,963
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
PRESIDENT OF DEFENCE INDUSTRIES İSMAİL DEMİR

public.jpeg

-Our goal is to make a 5th generation fighter aircraft. It will take on the roles of a multi-functional, versatile bomber and fighter. Our KAAN has a number of features such as being invisible to radar, being completely digital, and communicating electronically with various systems.

-In that respect, KAAN will play an important role as a striking force. We will have a capability that is seen in very few countries in the world and that very few countries have. There are 5 countries that are trying to do this. We became one of them.

-Other countries, buyers and users are customers. KAAN will also save us from foreign dependency. Our national target in KAAN is currently 70 percent. It is inevitable that this will go up to 90 percent. All systems of KAAN will be so modern that even if you want to buy it from outside, there are systems that you cannot.

-KAAN will actually be our sword in the air. If we are talking with Bayraktar Kızılelma, ANKA-3, Akıncı, Aksungur and TB2, along with other elements, we will be moving towards the concept of air dominance created by all of them.

-On the one hand, we will have air defense systems deployed on the ground, and on the other hand, we will create an awareness that will provide air dominance in the air.

via GDH Defence

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,963
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
FvNH2jiWIAAv4ff.jpeg

According to Yusuf Akbaba:

A team from one of the British consulting companies had come to TAI for a consulting meeting (not BAE Systems). Temel, when he saw that the team was acting in a very arrogant manner and looking from above, he asked for the models of all the products whose project was ongoing to be brought to his room. He had the models lined up on the table in his room. He briefly told the British, "There is hardly any in the world, except TUSAŞ, the aviation company that carries out so many platform projects at once. I offer you the opportunity to work with us."

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,732
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
View attachment 57046

According to Yusuf Akbaba:

A team from one of the British consulting companies had come to TAI for a consulting meeting (not BAE Systems). Temel, when he saw that the team was acting in a very arrogant manner and looking from above, he asked for the models of all the products whose project was ongoing to be brought to his room. He had the models lined up on the table in his room. He briefly told the British, "There is hardly any in the world, except TUSAŞ, the aviation company that carries out so many platform projects at once. I offer you the opportunity to work with us."
Temil Kotil the man
His nationalism coupled with his talents is worth 2 to 3 tactical nukes for gods sake

I swear, when I imagine how this guy could live a rich life in USA as a reputable engineer and go to Turkey and start from the scratch without any infrastructure just for his country and somehow he actually succeeds make me feel proud to hear about such a man with balls of steel

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,752
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I will print a photo of Kotil's face with his characteristic grin on a coffee mug.

E

Era_shield

The canopy + nose + wing resemble the head of a bird. Why is the canopy so high? For better view from inside? Aerodynamics must have been sacrificed.
This has been addressed earlier in the thread:

It's important when comparing aircraft that the perspective, distance to subject and focal length isn't creating distortions. The photos of the TFX are unusual because the cameraman is sitting on the floor yet is quite close to the plane. This is an unusual situation and I wasn't able to find any equivalent photos of the F-22. This comparison is the closest I could find:

View attachment 55063

View attachment 55064

My impressions are:

- Canopy shape is almost exactly the same except in the TFX the sides meld into the body lower in the cheek. This can give the impression that it sticks out more but it actually sticks out the same or slightly less.
- TFX pilot has better side visibility.
- Similar forward visibility, however in other pictures it can be seen that F22 has better rear visibility.
- TFX pilot's head has less top clearance with the canopy, restricting pilot height compared with F22 (or the TFX pilot in this photo was quite tall).
- TFX radar will be enormous.
- TFX sits higher on the ground.

Rooxbar

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
41 1,488
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
I have no clue about wind tunnels so if someone can answer I'd appreciate it:

Is the reason for this wind tunnel being subsonic, our current inability to build a trans-sonic & supersonic one, or do they need separate kind of tunnel and facilities? And if yes, are we capable of building one or are we trying to learn with this one and then maybe build a supersonic one later? If no, what are the difficulties?

And which wind tunnel will we use for Kaan's supersonic tests?

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,175
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I have no clue about wind tunnels so if someone can answer I'd appreciate it:

Is the reason for this wind tunnel being subsonic, our current inability to build a trans-sonic & supersonic one, or do they need separate kind of tunnel and facilities? And if yes, are we capable of building one or are we trying to learn with this one and then maybe build a supersonic one later? If no, what are the difficulties?

And which wind tunnel will we use for Kaan's supersonic tests?
I think SAGE will have a transonic windtunnel. I think there is a trade off between wind tunnel size and wind speed. The investment you make work towards giving enough energy to a certain amount of air to move it up to a certain speed. You either get a big cross-section of airflow or a big speed. If you want both you end up broke as it can be technically very difficult to achieve and also too expensive. But with good computational simulation you probably don't need the top dollar tunnels.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,696
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Tubitak SAGE wind tunnel is tri-sonic. It means subsonic, transonic, and supersonic tests can be conducted. It will be mostly used for transonic and supersonic tests with scaled-down models of aircraft in development.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom