Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
5-day military drill to began on Sunday in Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, says Turkey’s Defense Ministry

1599299947623.png

ANKARA

Forces of Turkey and Turkish Cyprus will start an annual five-day military drill on Sunday, according to Turkey’s Defense Ministry.

The drill in the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, the Martyr Capt. Cengiz Topel Mediterranean Storm Exercise, was named after a Turkish Air Force pilot martyred during the inter-communal conflict on the island in 1964.

The ministry said in a statement Saturday that the annual exercise is aimed at improving mutual training, cooperation, and interoperability between the Turkish Cypriot Peace Force Command and the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus Security Forces Command.

The exercise will be held with air, naval, and land elements from Turkey, the statement added.

Tension is high in the Eastern Mediterranean due to efforts by Greece and other countries to block Turkish energy exploration in the Eastern Mediterranean and deny its maritime territory.

Making maximalist territorial claims based on small islands just kilometers away from Turkey, Greece and other countries have tried to box Turkey into its shoreline, although it has the longest coast on the Eastern Mediterranean.

Following the forcible 1963 division of the island of Cyprus by the Greek Cypriots, the Turkish Cypriots suffered under a campaign of ethnic violence.

In 1974, following a coup aiming at Cyprus’ annexation to Greece, Ankara had to intervene as a guarantor power. In 1983, the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC) was founded.

For decades, there were talks to resolve the dispute, all which ended with failure. The latest, held with the participation of the guarantor countries – Turkey, Greece, and the UK – ended in 2017 in Switzerland.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,767
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
5-day military drill to began on Sunday in Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, says Turkey’s Defense Ministry

View attachment 827

ANKARA

Forces of Turkey and Turkish Cyprus will start an annual five-day military drill on Sunday, according to Turkey’s Defense Ministry.

The drill in the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, the Martyr Capt. Cengiz Topel Mediterranean Storm Exercise, was named after a Turkish Air Force pilot martyred during the inter-communal conflict on the island in 1964.

The ministry said in a statement Saturday that the annual exercise is aimed at improving mutual training, cooperation, and interoperability between the Turkish Cypriot Peace Force Command and the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus Security Forces Command.

The exercise will be held with air, naval, and land elements from Turkey, the statement added.

Tension is high in the Eastern Mediterranean due to efforts by Greece and other countries to block Turkish energy exploration in the Eastern Mediterranean and deny its maritime territory.

Making maximalist territorial claims based on small islands just kilometers away from Turkey, Greece and other countries have tried to box Turkey into its shoreline, although it has the longest coast on the Eastern Mediterranean.

Following the forcible 1963 division of the island of Cyprus by the Greek Cypriots, the Turkish Cypriots suffered under a campaign of ethnic violence.

In 1974, following a coup aiming at Cyprus’ annexation to Greece, Ankara had to intervene as a guarantor power. In 1983, the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC) was founded.

For decades, there were talks to resolve the dispute, all which ended with failure. The latest, held with the participation of the guarantor countries – Turkey, Greece, and the UK – ended in 2017 in Switzerland.

About time. But ee have to do something about Akinci and his ilk.

N

Null/Void

There are some thing we shouldn’t have to say. Hints should be enough.

Question do some Turkish Cypriots have a certain "inferiority complex" towards the Mainland Turks and I know many do not like Erdogan political direction in the mainland which is probably the reason why Akinci got elected as president there

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,063
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Question do some Turkish Cypriots have a certain "inferiority complex" towards the Mainland Turks and I know many do not like Erdogan political direction in the mainland which is probably the reason why Akinci got elected as president there

Not inferiority complex but some cypriot turks are racist towards turks of turkey. A lot of the old generation still appreciate turkey its the young generation that is the problem. Young generation are the biggest problem not to mention deluded.

I forgot too liberals and leftists are the worst in this regard. They call turkish soldiers who saved them as murderers and barbarians.

N

Null/Void

Not inferiority complex but some cypriot turks are racist towards turks of turkey. A lot of the old generation still appreciate turkey its the young generation that is the problem. Young generation are the biggest problem not to mention deluded.

I forgot too liberals and leftists are the worst in this regard. They call turkish soldiers who saved them as murderers and barbarians.

Do you think if the AKP and Erdogan were to leave power the younger Cypriot Turks may be in favor of the current status quo

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,063
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Do you think if the AKP and Erdogan were to leave power the younger Cypriot Turks may be in favor of the current status quo

The Cypriots should make their own shots, Turkish Cyprus is not a vassal of Turkey. I wouldn't mind them joining Turkey, but that's their decision to make that has to be respected. But that being said, the Greek Cypriots seems to have lost interest in a unification anyway.

N

Null/Void

The Cypriots should make their own shots, Turkish Cyprus is not a vassal of Turkey. I wouldn't mind them joining Turkey, but that's their decision to make that has to be respected. But that being said, the Greek Cypriots seems to have lost interest in a unification anyway.

From strategic "decision" reunification is not in Ankara's interests as that would make complicate matters in the Eastern Mediterranean

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,063
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
In a calmer environment, with better leadership and if the Northern Cypriots are willing, I think it could very well be a possibility.

I mean if Israel can annex Golan, Russian Crimea, we sure have a better claim on N. Cyprus.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,063
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey

Honestly trnc can be independant to be honest it would be another turkic country to add to our list that is independant. Even if trnc became independant they will still closely align with Turkey

N

Null/Void

In a calmer environment, with better leadership and if the Northern Cypriots are willing, I think it could very well be a possibility.

I mean if Israel can annex Golan, Russian Crimea, we sure have a better claim on N. Cyprus.

Still would need to deal with Athens garnering "international" sympathy
Honestly trnc can be independant to be honest it would be another turkic country to add to our list that is independant. Even if trnc became independant they will still closely align with Turkey

Again I think that should be dealt with the Island Turks and Island Greeks on the Island if they want reunification let them have it I mean Athens,Ankara and London are guarantors regardless

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
81 16,541
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
Still would need to deal with Athens garnering "international" sympathy

Again I think that should be dealt with the Island Turks and Island Greeks on the Island if they want reunification let them have it I mean Athens,Ankara and London are guarantors regardless
All of the initiatives failed in that regard. Reunification can be possible if both the communities have the same share over the island's resources and State's power and the Greek Cypriots don't like the idea. The discrimination is continuing and now it's even more bad because of the long lasting partition between them. TRNC is connected to Turkey as the baby is connected to it's mother in the womb. It is rising and rising until it's born. TRNC will for sure born but until then it should stick to it's mother otherwise it will die. If they still want to name their children as Ahmet, Mehmet without fear and be independent they must stick to it's mother for now otherwise they will be the next oppressed diaspora without rights. Just look at the situation in Northern Greece/Western Thrace. It is not very good and the least that we can say is European liberalism.

N

Null/Void

All of the initiatives failed in that regard. Reunification can be possible if both the communities have the same share over the island's resources and State's power and the Greek Cypriots don't like the idea. The discrimination is continuing and now it's even more bad because of the long lasting partition between them. TRNC is connected to Turkey as the baby is connected to it's mother in the womb. It is rising and rising until it's born. TRNC will for sure born but until then it should stick to it's mother otherwise it will die. If they still want to name their children as Ahmet, Mehmet without fear and be independent they must stick to it's mother for now otherwise they will be the next oppressed diaspora without rights. Just look at the situation in Northern Greece/Western Thrace. It is not very good and the least that we can say is European liberalism.

Not sounding like a "Turkey expert" or "regional expert" I am not and I don't see reunification occurring ever I think the status quo will remain as like you mentioned its been close to 4-5 decades since the "partition" of the island

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom