BordoEnes

Committed member
Reactions
2 866
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Waste of money, rich become richer and the poor man has to pay more tax to spit out the expenses

Nah its pure coincidence that the lands surrounding the Kanal is owned by close Pro-AKP businessman and politicians. Stop asking questions and just pay your taxes peasant!

emrachi

Reactions
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Waste of money, rich become richer and the poor man has to pay more tax to spit out the expenses
Nutuk abi same arguments and propaganda were made at beginning of Marmaray project now millions of people use those metro's daily again same propaganda was done against Istanbul Grand airport which is 2nd most used airport in the world.

M

Manomed

No
it is BAD for all
it is GOOD for Turkiye. Why because there are NOT ANY International Agreement to force Turkiye

Simple example: Lets say Channel Istanbul is ready USED...............................

Lets Say When and What ever is the case................ Turkiye decide to close Straite channel........Lets say Incident happend :).............All international start Complain.....
But Turkiye Answers WILL be THERE IS CHANNEL Istanbul why you crying................You can used :)............................

But Force multipiler for Turkiye is GAME CHANGING..............So many posibilities .......So many
What happened to your writing? You weren't like this you writing like akp supporters who don't know how to write down

Crush716

Committed member
Reactions
1 402
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
This canal istanbul has been a idea thats has been floating since the Ottoman Empire.

Bulent Ecevit also flirted with this idea but back down due to costs.
You keep mentioning the same thing. Do you have any proof to back your claim about Ecevit? I genuinely want to know if your claim is true but if not you can’t just throw mud and see if it stains

emrachi

Reactions
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
You keep mentioning the same thing. Do you have any proof to back your claim about Ecevit? I genuinely want to know if your claim is true but if not you can’t just throw mud and see if it stains
There is no need to throw mud on Ecevit to discredit him the history speaks for itself during his function Turkey was bankrupt the gov was not able to pay his civil servants. Ecevit was just an incompetent populist nothing more.

Crush716

Committed member
Reactions
1 402
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
There is no need to throw mud on Ecevit to discredit him the history speaks for itself during his function Turkey was bankrupt the gov was not able to pay his civil servants. Ecevit was just an incompetent populist nothing more.
Your statement kind of reminds me of the current state Türkiye is in but what do I know right. Just wanted to genuinely know if @Ryder ‘s claim was true. Not here to defend Ecevit but what he did in Kibris alone deserves respect.

emrachi

Reactions
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Your statement kind of reminds me of the current state Türkiye is in but what do I know right. Just wanted to genuinely know if @Ryder ‘s claim was true. Not here to defend Ecevit but what he did in Kibris alone deserves respect.
I'm really sorry to bother anyone on this issue but afaik the executors of the Cyprus campaign were the General staff of the TSK under leadership of Erbakan hoca they started the whole thing and planned even to go further. In fact it was mr Ecevit who prevented them from liberating more land.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,822
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
images (1) (12).jpeg

B.t.N

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
You are loud and clear in your words, however, while you judge the merits of a leader, you should as well take into account the predominant circumstances (particularly the Cyrus intervention in your case, and thus the massive political pressure on the government in the immediate aftermath, and covert and open embargoes Turkey had to face at the time).

Demirel’s term following Ecevit was no different, economy (and financial system) was at a rock—bottom, people had to wait for hours in line to get gas, or a few packs of margarine. And to add more insult to the injury, Demirel shut down all US bases in Turkey, his decision created a second wave of severe consequences (widely used as an excuse for the disastrous blow (in 1980) to our somehow crippled democracy.

All I am trying to say is that these names served under extremely harsh conditions, their success and failures should be evaluated in this regard, and how they ripple to our day. Otherwise criticisms remain shallow and groundless. What we need to do, I believe, is to acknowledge this, and find a common ground and move on from there.

EDIT: Just visualize Turkey today, without a Cyprus card in the East-Med!

Last edited:

Tonyukuk

Reactions
1 973
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Kazakhstan
So this is another way in which AKP is planning to stop refugees from going to Greece? By creating a modern day moat?

Jokes aside, this is a stupid project, just another unnecessary megaproject which will put money in the pockets of AKP. Not only that, a lot of the land surrounding the canal has already been sold to wealthy gulf Arabs. Meanwhile a lot of Turkish citizens are struggling with their daily expenses...

Read this:

"Proponents of the Canal Istanbul project claim it will allow for increased ship traffic through the strait; provide safer transit conditions for dangerous ship traffic, away from densely populated areas of Istanbul; reduce waiting times for entry; and provide generous transit fees to Turkey. It was also suggested that the canal might create a workaround to the Montreux treaty’s limits on access to the Black Sea for non-Black Sea countries' naval forces.

However, the need for a new canal has not been demonstrated. Shipping companies are not demanding a new route and the data don’t support the idea: While tonnage is increasing slightly, the number of ships is actually declining. Although there have been occasional mishaps and accidents on the Bosphorus, no major accident has occurred for over 40 years, due to traffic management improvements introduced by the Turkish government. Further improving transit safety does not require new construction. It can be achieved faster, cheaper, and easier by investing in coastal safety staff, state-of-the-art maritime tugs, and navigational equipment.

There are also significant potential environmental risks. The new canal would destroy two of Istanbul’s water reservoirs and risk contaminating all of the groundwater reserves of Istanbul and the Thrace region4 — an irreversible process.

Although global attention is focused on the canal, which could cost somewhere around $20 billion once the value of new and displaced infrastructure is factored in, the entire project’s construction contract value translates into a $250 billion spending spree to the end of decade. All of Istanbul’s highways, roads, water pipes, power lines, gas lines, and entire neighborhoods would have to be displaced and rebuilt. In this mother of all construction projects, the opportunities for corruption and cronyism are legion. Early investors, among them government ministers and the Qatari emir’s mother, Sheikha Moza bint Nasser, already made hefty profits from land speculations on the route of the canal.

The average wait time to enter the Bosphorus is 13.7 hours,5 as measured over the past 13 years. This is partially due to weather conditions like high winds and fog, and partially due to the lack of coastal safety equipment like tugs and firefighting boats that accompany tankers. The catch is that the new canal would be affected as much as or more than the Bosphorus is by wind, fog, weather, and currents. Istanbul’s Black Sea coast is famous for its strong winds, which could easily cause an Ever Given-like blockage in the proposed canal. For a fraction of the cost of a new canal, it would be possible to increase coastal safety staff and provide new and more modern tugs and navigational equipment.

Furthermore, the assumption that passage through the proposed canal would be safer than the Bosphorus is wrong. Narrow and shallow canals are so much more difficult and dangerous to navigate, as the entire world witnessed recently with the container ship Ever Given in the Suez Canal. Strong wind, current, any mechanical or engine failure, or human error could cause ships to veer off course and block the entire canal. In fact, most of the ship captains talking to the DW Turkish service said that they would prefer the Bosphorus to the canal.

Canal Istanbul has been undertaken to pump money toward companies friendly to the government and as a real estate scheme. The project is not needed for commercial or naval maritime purposes."

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,822
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Kanal Istanbul has its pros and cons but I believe in the long term it will help Turkiye just like how Suez helps Egypt.

It was thought of as impossible or a waste but not look at it this way the Suez and the Panama canal is a jewel of the economic life blood of this planet.

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,513
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Nutuk abi same arguments and propaganda were made at beginning of Marmaray project now millions of people use those metro's daily again same propaganda was done against Istanbul Grand airport which is 2nd most used airport in the world.

Dear Emrachi, these are not the same things.

You make a canal but you have a huge passage called Bosphorus next to it. It is like having two entrances into a circus tent, at one entrance you ask money to the people to get in but the other entrance is totally free.

Now how are you gonna generate money from the entrance where you ask a fee?

Let the project makers of the canal Istanbul first explain this and than we can look further, but no one to explain.

Ecderha

Experienced member
Reactions
4 7,733
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
What happened to your writing? You weren't like this you writing like akp supporters who don't know how to write down
- You turning things to politics. It is NOT about politics
- I am not citizen of Turkiye.......mean I do NOT vote to anyone......
- I am saying again ANY TOOL, INNOVATION, TECHNOLOGY, VECHILE, PRODUCT, INFRASTRUCTURE.................etc. Made by Turkiye is ASSET giving YOU NATION MORE OPTIONS...................I am for THAT.

This is and will my driving source.............It is not about me........it is about YOU ( do not be a zombie by connecting all to politics and dircecting this zombiness to specifics party. They will come and go, infrastructers WILL STAY and WILL be asset of the nation)

Tornadoss

Contributor
Reactions
4 2,516
Nation of residence
Czechia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Ecevit was prime minister from 1999 to 2003 in the last term, and in 1999 Marmara Earthquake hit the economy pretty hard. It's pretty idiotic to blame him for everything.

Kanal Istanbul has its pros and cons but I believe in the long term it will help Turkiye just like how Suez helps Egypt.

It was thought of as impossible or a waste but not look at it this way the Suez and the Panama canal is a jewel of the economic life blood of this planet.

You can not compare Suez to Kanal Istanbul. This is discussed many times. Suez has no other alternative which decreases the route drastically the ships must take and it reaches more important destinations.

Crush716

Committed member
Reactions
1 402
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
i dont blame him for everything point is imo he was overall a very bad PM. Earthquakes happen all the time its no legitimate excuse for his very bad performance.

He also supported feto, FG made a special prayer for him that’s why many feto fanboys adore that so called pm.

i dont blame him for everything point is imo he was overall a very bad PM. Earthquakes happen all the time its no legitimate excuse for his very bad performance.

He also supported feto, FG made a special prayer for him that’s why many feto fanboys adore that so called pm.

The current government was/is in bed with FETO more than anyone in history. That’s not even up for debate. I’m curious to hear your feelings towards Erdogan?

emrachi

Reactions
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
The current government was/is in bed with FETO more than anyone in history. That’s not even up for debate. I’m curious to hear your feelings towards Erdogan?
They were in bed with pretty much every government since the 80's. Afaik the current government is fighting them while the others don't care. Meanwhile currently they even have unofficially a party in the parliament which is the so called iyi party. Ümit Özdağ says that it's not my words. Also i don't support any party in Turkey i have never voted in my life and never will.

emrachi

Reactions
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Dear Emrachi, these are not the same things.

You make a canal but you have a huge passage called Bosphorus next to it. It is like having two entrances into a circus tent, at one entrance you ask money to the people to get in but the other entrance is totally free.

Now how are you gonna generate money from the entrance where you ask a fee?

Let the project makers of the canal Istanbul first explain this and than we can look further, but no one to explain.
I am unaware of the technical details of Kanal Istanbul however if you consider the earlier projects the opposition tried to sabotage like the Şehir Hastaneleri in retrospect turned out to be excellent investments since there were plenty İC units during the peak of pandemic while most countries experienced serious difficulties. Another strategic project they oppose is the NPP's in which everyone realizes currently it is absolute a must.

So my concern is if all those attempts based on false perceptions from certain circles and opposition parties are clearly guided and instructed by foreign powers how can the people still trust or even take them serious? They are in my view not to be trusted they're a bunch of clowns.

Last edited:

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,513
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
I am unaware of the technical details of Kanal Istanbul however if you consider the earlier projects the opposition tried to sabotage like the Şehir Hastaneleri in retrospect turned out to be excellent investments since there were plenty İC units during the peak of pandemic while most countries experienced serious difficulties. Another strategic project they oppose is the NPP's in which everyone realizes currently it is absolute a must.

So my concern is if all those attempts based on false perceptions from certain circles and opposition parties are clearly guided and instructed by foreign powers how can the people still trust or even take them serious? They are in my view not to be trusted they're a bunch of clowns.

I don't care what opposition thinks or is opposing, I have my own brains to think.

Many projects have their pro's and con's, but the Canal Istanbul project simply fails to make sense.

It could make sense if Turkey would say, hey once the canal is ready I will close the Bosphorus passage all ships have to take the canal route. Than a canal would make sense and generate money.

But on the contrary it is said the Bosphorus we cannot close it falls under Lousanne treaty and shipping cannot be hindered. Now tell me how can a canal under this condition be viable? Forget about opposition, give technical answers what are the solutions to render such a canal profitable and not turn into a big loss making black hole for the Turkish tax payer?

I am in for all type of projects that benefit Turkey, the GAP project is far more expensive but it is a project that serve's Turkey in controlling the rivers and water flows and irrigate a large area in Turkey.

What benefit will canal Istanbul be for Turkey: just answer it

Last edited:
Top Bottom