Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
116 14,897
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
So is the time limit like a contract thing ? would be happy to read a paper about it or something
Although no source has been shown so far, there is probably a contractual non tampering clause in the purchase of F16s for 30 years. Same contract would also cover non-sellability of the planes to third parties without US consent. Heck! Even Israel couldn’t sell their old planes to Croatia..

Kansei

Reactions
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Cyprus
That sounds nice and all but I dont know how accurate it is. From what I know that paper is from 2014, way before the finished stage of the product and it assumes that there will be a cooling bottleneck. I guess the only way to truly find out for Greece is when the first block 70 arrives, the USAF has been holding back the program for like 2-3 years now with basically the Greek end of the side having finished the first plane and have been sitting doing nothing because they have to wait for the U.S to do their part of the job which has been requesting tests upon tests upon tests in the factory test base for years now, with the result being that the estimate for the first Viper's arrival being at the end of 22.
Haha, just realised that the research paper is Greek. I even know one of the guys who made the paper as he is pretty active in a Greek news site comment section.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,738
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
There is a reason why UAE rejected APG-83 SABR and went the extra mile and financed APG-80 integration into the UAE F-16 Block 60. F-16 Block 60 is currently the most advanced version of F-16 fighters.

Yes, the paper is written by Greeks.

Authors of the paper

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,863
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Turkiye can and will upgrade all of its F-16s. Other than the AESA radar everything is currently ready. The prototype fighter is actively flying and qualified with Özgür modernization package other than the radar. That is said multiple times by the president of the SSB. So why Turkiye asks for viper mod? Because it is political. Turkiye doesn't want to leave the table first when dealing with the US. We know viper deal will be rejected by the congress so Americans will have no excuse to say anything when we move on our own. We will show their double standarst, again, to the whole world and when the time comes we will say dude we did everything we could you guys rejected us not the other way around.

Turkish modernization is better than the Viper Mod because of its new GaN based radar. APG-83 SABR is not a good radar at all.

This is written by the officers of Hellenic Air Force Academy.

Direct Quote from the Paper.

Estimated-detection-ranges-vs-scan-angle-th-against-a-target-of-1-m-RCS-for-the-radars.jpg

This is the end result. APG-83 is only slightly better than APG-68(V)9 and loses some performance at some angles.

Aselsan is designing a new cooling system and a new power delivery system for its GaN-based F-16 radar. That means we will push more power to the radar via the more efficient GaN TRM modules. Aselsan radar is expected to have "at least" %50 more range against fighter-sized targets than APG-83. EW resistance is the biggest gain going from APG-68(V)9 to APG-83.
Will we see the additional tank canister above the wings?

kenny

Committed member
Reactions
1 875
Nation of residence
Japan
Nation of origin
Turkey
I can't imagine the position we will be in 5 years from now. We're doing really well. MAŞALLAH!

astragan

Reactions
1 120
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
About a year ago, one of these things flew right above my house in the middle of the night. To be clear, it wasn’t at the beginning of a take off or something. Still, the entire house shook as if there was a strong earthquake. It was so loud, I couldn’t even understand whether it was an air raid or a passenger airplane. I had to check Flightradar twice to make sure that we’re not under attack. :ROFLMAO:
The engines of that thing are incredible. I truly wish we could buy more. After such an experience, I fet that, as a taxpayer, these things are worth every penny. I’ve hears and stood next to a lot of different aircraft, but the A400M is a different beast. I’m just glad that we didn’t cheap out on these.

Fairon

Reactions
6 892
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
About a year ago, one of these things flew right above my house in the middle of the night. To be clear, it wasn’t at the beginning of a take off or something. Still, the entire house shook as if there was a strong earthquake. It was so loud, I couldn’t even understand whether it was an air raid or a passenger airplane. I had to check Flightradar twice to make sure that we’re not under attack. :ROFLMAO:
The engines of that thing are incredible. I truly wish we could buy more. After such an experience, I fet that, as a taxpayer, these things are worth every penny. I’ve hears and stood next to a lot of different aircraft, but the A400M is a different beast. I’m just glad that we didn’t cheap out on these.

Thats turboprops for you. Even the Cessna's are very loud.

Still A400M is a very good aircraft and I read that crews are loving it but also it is very expensive. I wish we could work something out with the Ukraine but that didn't happened so i hope we find a solution because our cargo fleet is getting old except the A400. We need new aircraft. (Maybe MRRT idea will work)

Khagan1923

Contributor
Reactions
12 3,877
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
We need 10 more at least and bigger planes

The original order was 25 Planes. This number was most likely choosen with the retirement of the C-160 fleet in mind. Now the C-160 has been retired but we only bought 10 A400M and 2 of those 10 are stuck in Ukraine. Who knows in what state we will get them back.

We need to put in another order for 15 more. Maybe even 20 taking into consideration the expanded operations of the TSK overseas.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,214
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Airbus A330 MRTT is a better option.
Faster, longer range, bigger payload, tanker role.
One plane could take the Ataks to the Philippines with no stopovers.

Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Thats turboprops for you. Even the Cessna's are very loud.

Still A400M is a very good aircraft and I read that crews are loving it but also it is very expensive. I wish we could work something out with the Ukraine but that didn't happened so i hope we find a solution because our cargo fleet is getting old except the A400. We need new aircraft. (Maybe MRRT idea will work)

It's a good thing Turkey is one of the few countries that can perform depot level maintenance of the A400M. I think it's best we get more, and modify them accordingly.

Mis_TR_Like

Contributor
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
25 5,082
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
Airbus A330 MRTT is a better option.
Faster, longer range, bigger payload, tanker role.
One plane could take the Ataks to the Philippines with no stopovers.
There are rumours that we might get some. Conversions from THY fleet to be specific. According to the rumours we will convert 7 of them to MRTT spec in order to replace our KC-135Rs.

Top Bottom